CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:27 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
update from dealer:

In summary, Service Manager said, we don't have parts...
Yep, when I spoke to PNA about this (see my earlier posts in this thread), they said it would likely be a couple of months until the dealers are equipped and ready to deal with this. Be patient, it'll come. In the meantime if your motor goes belly up from this issue, they'll cover it...I asked PNA that question too.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:48 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Yep, when I spoke to PNA about this (see my earlier posts in this thread), they said it would likely be a couple of months until the dealers are equipped and ready to deal with this. Be patient, it'll come. In the meantime if your motor goes belly up from this issue, they'll cover it...I asked PNA that question too.
Primary driver (99% of the time) of the Cayenne is my wife, driving our 15 month old child. I'll be gone for 3 weeks due to work. If something happened to them due to this particular failure on the Cayenne on the motorway. My conscious would not be well if i did not try to be proactive. Specifically as i have read the of lose power steering/ power assist on brakes ( brake booster vacuum stops working due to no engine) at motorway speeds. If it was me, non issue. I have had to power down a motor at 150mph as throttle got stuck - i can manage. But my wife eh... and then our child. NFW. Anyways, wife now has a loaner car. already complaining it does not have Lane change assist
Old 06-28-2017, 08:11 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
Primary driver (99% of the time) of the Cayenne is my wife, driving our 15 month old child. I'll be gone for 3 weeks due to work. If something happened to them due to this particular failure on the Cayenne on the motorway. My conscious would not be well if i did not try to be proactive. Specifically as i have read the of lose power steering/ power assist on brakes ( brake booster vacuum stops working due to no engine) at motorway speeds. If it was me, non issue. I have had to power down a motor at 150mph as throttle got stuck - i can manage. But my wife eh... and then our child. NFW. Anyways, wife now has a loaner car. already complaining it does not have Lane change assist
Understand completely.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:09 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
I'm guessing it'll be the previous WC-22 fix or very similar.
My guess also. Just saying "bolts" because it doesn't sound as bad..
Old 07-01-2017, 06:48 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

FYI for everyone interested in this recall.... I stopped in my dealer this afternoon to see my SA and inquire with them about AH08 after having corresponded with PNA (earlier in this thread).

He input my info into their system to set me up in their queue for this recall/campaign. He mentioned I would also eventually receive a letter from PNA (which they had also told me) and that I would be contacted by him when it's time to bring it to the dealer.

So just be aware that some dealers appear to be queueing owners up for this already in their systems as mine did.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:51 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I dropped by my local dealer last Thursday to see if they had started a list yet. Although they hadn't heard anything official from PCNA the SA said I was the 3rd person to drop in and ask about it. I was assured that I'd get added to the list so hopefully I'll get it taken care of sooner rather than later.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:07 AM
stas101
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm I already fixed mine this December after my wife had it happened while driving and thank God noone was by her next lane she was able to pull over to a side street.I paid for repair from my own pocket to a local repair shop owned by a friend since Porsche USA refused to cover it.I wonder should I contact them about reimbursement already??? LOL
Old 07-05-2017, 11:30 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by stas101
Hmmm I already fixed mine this December after my wife had it happened while driving and thank God noone was by her next lane she was able to pull over to a side street.I paid for repair from my own pocket to a local repair shop owned by a friend since Porsche USA refused to cover it.I wonder should I contact them about reimbursement already??? LOL
LOL? Why?

By law - Porsche has to cover your expenses if it was pre-emptively repaired. Somewhere I posted the document from NHTSA/DOT that describes this - very clearly (Found it: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post14280696) . I fully expect to get the $$$$ that I spent having mine done by Porsche. You will need to get receipts for the parts, labor, etc in detail for the reimbursement to happen (more or less the same drill as for the class-action-lawsuit reimbursement for the plastic cooling pipes on 955 models.)

Porsche if contacted now - will likely tell you that you'll be receiving full details shortly. They have 60 days from the recall announcement date to notify the owners and explain the options for the recall. This was announced about June 1st or so - I think they have another 30 days or so to keep their money in the bank earning interest.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:36 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Checked online with both Porsche and NHTSA with my VIN - both came back with the same rather spurious message. Called Porsche NA direct and spoke to a very helpful lady and confirmed that mine is on the list!

Was recommended that it will take a few weeks to sort out parts, availability and ramp-up on the recall. But check back and they will send out a letter confirming things and sorting out what to do. Glad to know that its happening, but a little disappointed it will take some time yet. Oh well, it is what it is.....
Old 07-07-2017, 11:09 PM
deilenberger
Banned

I spoke with a dealer Service-Seller today (they call them "advisers" - their job is to advise you how to transfer your bad money over to them, where it becomes good money - "throwing good money after bad" comes to mind..) And they said they've been notified there will be a recall - but they have not been notified of ANY details. That was as of noon today.

FWIW - I went there to buy the cheapest part on a 958. The little plastic clip/rivets that hold the beauty panels in place under the hood. $0.99. I went C-R-A-Z-Y and bought 3 of them - for CASH. They actually had a difficult time handling cash. I only needed one - but to assure I'd never need another one - I bought 2 spares. They do have a habit of jumping into the bowels of the engine compartment, never to be seen again. I think something lives down there that eats dropped parts.

Last edited by deilenberger; 07-11-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:43 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
FWIW - I went there to buy the cheapest part on a 958. The little plastic clip/rivets that hold the beauty panels in place under the hood. $0.99. I went C-R-A-Z-Y and bought 3 of them - for CASH. They actually had a difficult time handling cash. I only needed one - but to assure I'd never need another one - I bought 2 spares. They do have a habit of jumping into the bowels of the engine compartment, never to be seen again. I think something lives down there that eats dropped parts.
I lose these rivets also but have learned to pry the "T" up a bit with a small flat head to grab with fingers and then use fingers to pull up completely.

The other clasp to watch out for is the air box clasp. They wiggle out easily just one way. I found that out wrestling in new air filter. Ended up dropping the underbody panel to find it and discovered an engine oil leak..
Old 07-10-2017, 10:20 AM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
I lose these rivets also but have learned to pry the "T" up a bit with a small flat head to grab with fingers and then use fingers to pull up completely.

The other clasp to watch out for is the air box clasp. They wiggle out easily just one way. I found that out wrestling in new air filter. Ended up dropping the underbody panel to find it and discovered an engine oil leak..
I lost one of those air box clips too and gave up trying to find it. Porsche dealer said they don't sell them individually! I saw somewhere where BMW uses the same clip and sells it individually but now I can't find the thread that shows which BMW it is.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:58 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

i just had a full failure yesterday. I had 122,000 miles on mine. Pretty stoked this is going to be covered!
Old 07-11-2017, 10:26 PM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mikew968
i just had a full failure yesterday. I had 122,000 miles on mine. Pretty stoked this is going to be covered!
Sorry about your bad luck, but glad it won't cost you anything to repair. Is your Cayenne at a dealership now awaiting repair? Have they given you a diagnosis? Engine damage is uncommon but possible; ask them to show you all four broken bolts on the side that failed to ensure they performed their due diligence in finding all the pieces (others have reported that pieces can get sucked into the oil pickup tube and cannot be retrieved without dropping the oil pan and removing the pickup tube - not a difficult or time-intensive task). I'd also ask to be shown the bolts on the opposite variocam adjuster to see if any of them are broken/missing and need to be located in the engine. Do you have a loaner while you wait?

Please keep us posted on your diagnosis and ETA, and thanks!
Old 07-18-2017, 11:21 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

repair is underway. SA said there is a "process" they have to follow...didn't quite follow. Need to ask more questions.

Quick Reply: CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts