Sponsored By:

Headliner sunglass holder

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 10:56 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Headliner sunglass holder

Ok, I'm sure this will horrify some members of the audience out there but, clearly, IDGAF.

In other vehicles I've liked having an overhead storage pocket for sunglasses. Previous Cayenne had such a thing, but not the 958. The pocket under the front of the seats always ends up with me putting fingerprints on the lenses when I'm trying to blindly fish around to find the sunglasses in it. The clip kind on visors are just junk and never last.

I'd seen one of these on aliexpress for a stupid amount of money. 10x, literally, the cost of others. Now, I realize plastic tooling ain't cheap, but c'mon, $150? No.

So when an eBay watched search tripped this I thought I'd give it a try:

Trouble is the mounting posts for it don't fit into the sockets in the headliner of my '17 GTS. The holes are the right distance apart, so it does line up. I don't know if this is unique/new to the '17. Could be previous 958's have used the oblong posts this thing has. My GTS uses something entirely different that what this uses. Anyone out there with a 16 or older 958 series ever removed the headliner pull handes? Do you remember what the posts looked like?

The posts on the handle from my '17 are different. They're more trapezoidal in shape and a fair bit deeper. This pocket has oblong posts about a third less deep.

The upside, however, is with the way these posts are molded they do help the thing 'stand off' the headliner in a way that makes it usable. You'll need actual screws (not machine threads) that are a good bit longer. And some patience for finagling a screwdriver in there whilst holding the spring open.

Also shown are an adult-sized pair of Rayban sunglasses in it (coincidentally in a complimentary shade of blue that nearly matches the body paint). You can sort of make out in the picture how the posts for the pocket are resting 'on top of' the headliner surface. But when closed, however, the pocket sides line up quite neatly with the indented section molded into the headliner.

It sits flush enough that when I ran an autocross with it installed back on the 28th I didn't hit my helmet against it.

The plastic (I bought the black) matches up reasonably well compared to the factory pull handle and it's likewise close enough to match the black/dark gray Alcantara headliner in my GTS.

Make of it what you will, I don't know that I'd encourage anyone else to buy it since it's not really designed as an exact fit. But it does work and it doesn't look out of place.

Here's a few pix.
Attached Images      
Old 06-10-2017, 02:37 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the write up. I have several SUVs that have had the sunglass case in the overhead. I am disappointed my '16 CTT doesn't. This seems to be a decent idea, but your end response was somewhat middle of the road.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:30 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

Yeah, it's not perfect and I'd like it to be at least a little 'less imperfect'. Right now it's the only option, so there's that. But someone more choosy might be underwhelmed. Certainly at the $50 this cost me. But it does work and doesn't stick out looking like cheap junk. So, yeah, middle-of-the-road on it.

Last edited by wkearney99; 06-10-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:05 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

use mine daily

Quick Reply: Headliner sunglass holder