Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cargo boxes and wind noise?

Old 06-07-2017, 08:08 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Cargo boxes and wind noise?

Anyone used a regular roof box and then tried the Porsche-branded variant?

I already have a Thule roof box. I don't have need for a cargo box all that often. I've only used this one twice in the past 8 years. So if I can 'get by' using this one on the 958 then I'm good.

But the question is whether a regular Thule box is going to be a problem or not given the greater rate of speed I tend to travel with the 958 (vs the Grand Cherokee that carried this box previously).

I realize there's going to be some impact on aerodynamics, that much is obvious. The question is whether a generic box is going to be considerably worse or not.

I'm looking at a drive from DC to Burlington, in the August. Likely clear, hot, summer weather. No snow or excessive rain expected.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:38 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Hi there. I've never had a roof box on either of my CTTs, but I can't imagine there'd be much difference in aerodynamic wind noise, etc. between the Thule and Porsche units. Isn't Thule pretty much considered state-of-the-art for rooftop carriers and a premium brand? For all I know, Thule might even manufacture the Porsche units? If you're like me though, I do seem to prefer OEM accessories unless there's a clearly superior alternative.

But in this case, especially as little as you'll seem to actually use this on your Cayenne, I'd think your existing Thule would do the trick.

Maybe save the funds for another truly 'must have' OEM accessory!
Old 06-09-2017, 01:54 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Done Dulles to central FL a couple of times with a 16 cubic foot Yakima. There was some noise, but nothing unbearable. It definitely acted like a sail with crosswinds, but not unmanageably so. As I recall it knocked about 2MPG of what we have pulled on that trip in the diesel, so not a terrible economy impact.

We had sustained speeds at or above the max limit anywhere on that stretch of 95. Sometimes considerably so, but triples were never hit. No significant problems.

Haven't driven with any other boxes so I can't compare their performance.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:08 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gnat
Done Dulles to central FL a couple of times with a 16 cubic foot Yakima. There was some noise, but nothing unbearable. It definitely acted like a sail with crosswinds, but not unmanageably so. As I recall it knocked about 2MPG of what we have pulled on that trip in the diesel, so not a terrible economy impact.

We had sustained speeds at or above the max limit anywhere on that stretch of 95. Sometimes considerably so, but triples were never hit. No significant problems.
Not surprised to hear the crosswind sail effect. Good to know it wasn't otherwise problematic.

Next question will be whether to get the factory cross-members or a pair of Thule clamps. I have the factory roof side rails ('17 has fixed, raised rails, not the previous slot style). One factor would be the clamping scheme, the box I had uses the old-school U-bolt style arrangement, not the fancier hinged claw setup. But for a previous vehicle I had the round bars and those DID whistle a bit, enough that it was necessary to add a front deflector. I've not yet checked the size of the factory cross-members.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:27 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

My box has the clamp jaw style, so can't help there.

The factory bars are a low profile similar to Thule's whisper bar (forget Yakima's name for the similar style). What I found in 2012 when I got mine was that the factory bars were actually a bit cheaper than the Thule/Yakima options when I got them from Suncoast.

Since we aren't too far from each other, if you want to pull a bracket off your box, we could meet in Tyson's or something and I can bring the factory bars so you can see if the brackets fit.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:40 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

I'm going to try and get the box I have out of the attic sometime next week. Hopefully all the bracketry is inside it... and I still have the right keys for it. Once I get that I'll hit you up, lunch on me somewhere.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:44 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Sounds good. Just PM when you're ready.

While you are at it, measure the min and max distances you can adjust between the mounts. The OEM bars fit at specific points on the rails with no adjustment, so that would be good to check as well.

Hell, if they'll work for you and given that we both use them so rarely maybe I can just loan them to you when you need them. Assuming I like you when we meet given you know how Bethesda is chock full of dead beat untrustworthy Porsche drivers
Old 06-09-2017, 01:37 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

The OEM bars fit at specific points on the rails with no adjustment, so that would be good to check as well.
Oh, now that WOULD be something to factor. You're saying the factory cross-members don't slide front-to-back?
Old 06-09-2017, 01:40 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
. . . but I can't imagine there'd be much difference in aerodynamic wind noise, etc. between the Thule and Porsche units. Isn't Thule pretty much considered state-of-the-art for rooftop carriers and a premium brand? For all I know, Thule might even manufacture the Porsche units?
Yep. All the Porsche branded equipment is actually made by Thule.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:42 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hula
Yep. All the Porsche branded equipment is actually made by Thule.
I suspected as much. Is it literally the same plastic shape? Or are the ones from Porsche using unique molds?

Because for the price premium and the few number of times I'll ever use it, I'd certainly be willing to use a Thule one instead.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:46 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 97 Posts

Same molds but they slap on a Porsche logo for extra horsepower.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:02 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Hula
Same molds but they slap on a Porsche logo for extra horsepower.
If the cross members are Thule too (they do look like the Whisper bars), they do have different feet on them. So there is a little difference

You are right about the boxes though. As I recall the Porsche box available in 2012 was a rebranded Thule "Boxster". Very low profile and aerodynamic, but we needed another 2" in height for my son's stroller
Old 06-09-2017, 09:43 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

....maybe I can just loan them to you when you need them. Assuming I like you when we meet given you know how Bethesda is chock full of dead beat untrustworthy Porsche drivers

If you guys end up deciding to meet up around Tysons at some point, feel free to hit me up as well if you'd like to. I wouldn't mind meeting up and chatting with the two of you if I'm able to make it.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:35 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,134 Likes on 3,907 Posts

I've used a Yakima Skybox on my '09 957 Turbo S with the OEM crossbars. Mine has the Pano roof and although I can operate it fully with the crossbars installed, there isn't enough clearance with the C-clamp mounts that go around the bars. Fearing I might actually bump the switch and break the expensive roof, I decided to rework the mounting system. Info is here - https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post14133579 in post #24. I'm using the crossbar top channels to mount the box and have enough clearance to also fully open the roof.

These pics are with the original clamp mounting.

Last edited by Petza914; 06-15-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:55 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Finally braved the attic heat and confirmed it's a Thule Sidekick box. With the simple wide-U-bolt brackets that run under the roof bar and are secured with wing nuts from inside the box. As in, a bunch of 'fun' installing it.

I'm going to keep the U-bolts handy, hopefully the dealer will have some factory cross-members on hand. Otherwise maybe someone at the BWI autocross on the morning of 6/24.

http://pcachs.org/activities-events/autocross/schedule/

There's always room for a last minute walk-up or two. Or just to spectate.

Last edited by wkearney99; 06-15-2017 at 08:10 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cargo boxes and wind noise?