Sponsored By:

CD at dealer with fuel pump failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 06:15 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts
Default CD at dealer with fuel pump failure

Just a heads up. I hope this is not a long term issue. After 30,000+ miles of smooth operation, my 2014 CD had its first major repair issue (asides from the known DEF heater failure).

It all started when the pre-heat plug coil warning light started flashing. It went away after a re-start. A day later, the light came on again. This time the engine behaved rough (limp mode?). Since it was the weekend, I just let it sit in the garage. When I started it on Monday, it ran fine but the check engine light came on instead.

It took the dealer awhile to diagnose the issue. Well, the high pressure fuel pump failed. Dealer still gathering parts and said it is a two days job.

I searched the web and only found a couple of similar incidents affecting the Audi 3.0 tdi engine. I hope mine is just an exception to the rule.

If anyone is wondering...I have been fueling at the same Chevron station for the last year or so (same pump too). Even during out of town trips, I have been only using Chevron.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:29 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Over on ClubTouareg, there were HPFP failures but I have read of maybe one in the past 2 years.

I don't recall the exact details but it went something like:

VW was investigated by the NHSTA or, the issue was looked into in-depth and it was found that the most common cause of the HPFP failing was "mis-fueling".

Now, of course, none of the people had reported that their Touareg ever got a drop of anything but diesel.

I had a 2012 Touareg TDI. IT has about 57,000 almost trouble-free miles on it. Something in the ad-blue/DEF tank needed to be replaced-all under warranty as the AdBlue system was/is warranted to 100,000 miles and so many more years from another investigation that I think forced VW to extend the warranty on the DEF parts due to so many failures.

Same thing with the HPFP, VW had to extend the warranties on the HPFP too.

The takeways I recall were:

1. Don't allow the fuel level in the tank to go into the shaded/red-zone that could/would cause unnecessary stress on the fuel system parts and;

2. Avoid high rpm operation at all costs.

I think I remember someone saying that lubricity additives could help but cautioned against too much biodiesel as too much is not a good thing.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:34 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

The high pressure pump is thoughtfully mounted in the valley on the rear of the engine, major PITA to get to I suspect. Please let us know how the repair turns out.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:32 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I had this failure in my 2010 Touareg TDI at around 80k miles. I didn't have to use my extended warranty as VW picked up the cost of repairs. I was told the value of the repair was $15k. I now have 128k miles on the vehicle and am crossing my fingers that there is no repeat failure between now and buyback time this summer.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:40 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for your comments. Mark, that is an expensive repair if it was not covered by warranty. From my web searchers, failures generally occur in high mileage cars like your Touareg. The early failure in my CD makes me wonder if it is the quality of the diesel fuel here in CA. It is my understanding that there is only one or two refineries in CA that supply the diesel fuel statewide
Old 04-29-2017, 07:08 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've toyed with the idea of taking the Touareg off the road while waiting for the VW buyback to eliminate the risk of a repeat failure. I've decided to keep driving it, hoping that the replacement HPFP is a better design. If my back could tolerate the longer work related commutes, I'd drive the 981 Spyder more often. The irony is by the time I made it to my 50's and could afford a new Porsche, my back prevented me from fully enjoying it.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:43 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 299 Posts

120,000 on 2011 VW TDI
Love it.
Will be hopefully getting The CD.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:47 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KBell
120,000 on 2011 VW TDI Love it. Will be hopefully getting The CD.
I'm in line to get a CD. My second option is a CGTS. Less fuel efficient, but arguably more fun.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:22 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I'm at 46k now on my 2013. Maybe 15k or so while towing. Other than an annoying dash rattle that has developed the car has mechanically solid. I've been meticulous about maintenance and filter replacements, MOST fill ups are the same Shell station, I tend to use only Shell or Chevron.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:38 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Vistador - Sorry to say this but I too hope yours is an exception to the rule. I'm at 49,000 and so far so good. Probably 2/3 of the mileage was in CA and the remaining 1/3 in TX (lot's of biodiesel ... ughh).

At least for the CD's we've got warranty coverage now and if you go with the VW/Porsche settlement, the new emissions warranty would also cover the entire fuel system. Still, it is a pain if it fails. Hope repairs go well and you're back running soon. Let us know how it goes.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:17 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Just an update. It took a week to get back the CD. Took time to diagnose the issue and then to gather all the required parts (the invoice is full of gaskets and nuts and rings that needed to be replaced). Diagnose took time because the fault codes showed low rail fuel pressure. That can be several things, ranging from sensors to fuel pump. I guess, like human medicine, fault codes are just symptoms. Technician still need to test which specific component failed (sensors, fuel rail, fuel pump?) I bet the technician was not happy to do the fuel pump since, as r553 mentioned, it is situated all the way in the back of the engine.

Of course, the principal part replaced was the high pressure pump. I inquired the SA as to why it failed given the mileage in the car. His response was that the new part has an updated number. So, it must have been a known issue to warrant changes in the pump.

Thankfully, all our CDs come now with the extended warranty plus coverage under the settlement. I think I am happier to have this happened now, rather than later
Old 05-17-2017, 11:24 AM
lordkenyon
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had this exact issue on our '13 CD with 74k miles last week. Presented as a flashing coil light and would come on and off. It finally stalled at a stop sign and I took it straight to the dealer. It was off by the time the dealer finally was able to look at it, but fortunately, it's a nice dealership and they drove it a few days and were able to reproduce the issue.

They said it ended up being a 3 day job to replace the high pressure fuel pump, all the gaskets, filters, and everything related to it (like removing the rear seat). All covered under the extended warranty thanks to the VW issues. I asked what this would've cost had it been out of pocked and they said they billed Porsche over $5k for the "at cost" portion and if it had been out of pocket would have easily been double for us.

We also had the diesel tank heater replaced too due to flashing check engine and coil lights, also under warranty. I estimate it's around $15k worth of total work between the two now, thankfully all covered.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:24 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

lordkenyon, thanks for the posting. It looks like the pump generally fails when a CD reaches a higher mileage. I hope the failure in my CD at such a low miles is just a rarity.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:29 PM
lordkenyon
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
lordkenyon, thanks for the posting. It looks like the pump generally fails when a CD reaches a higher mileage. I hope the failure in my CD at such a low miles is just a rarity.
Hope so--I've been skeptical of how little diesel gets turned over at the stations around here(SoCal) and if that contributes to the issues. Trying to find some high volume stations to keep going back to to eliminate that as a potential problem too.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:19 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll too be watching this thread to see if we get more hp fuel pump failures as mileage goes up.

I had several items fail - ad blue heater, Nox sensor and filter (getting a new one eventually anyway I guess), and turbo boost hose (this failure was the most painful from a drivability standpoint). The Porsche Extended warranty is great add for us and coupled with the emissions extended warranty, if you plan on keeping the CD, and assuming a compliant repair etc, another nice bonus. The hp fuel pump would have also been covered under the emission warranty had it been in place.

Quick Reply: CD at dealer with fuel pump failure