Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What do you tow? (958 Pic-thread)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 06:36 PM
jrbkarter
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Upgraded from the 957 Turbo to the 958 Diesel and already loving the differences between the two- especially the fuel economy while towing this:

Old 03-05-2018, 01:14 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Not sure if you've got too much weight on the tongue or if the ball just needs to be higher, but from the pictures, it doesn't look like that trailer is sitting level in the tow.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:12 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Not sure if you've got too much weight on the tongue or if the ball just needs to be higher, but from the pictures, it doesn't look like that trailer is sitting level in the tow.
Ahhh yes, the need for the elusive 1" higher drawbar. I could really use a 1" drop to perfectly level my trailer, but it's not that big of a deal to me. However, jrbkarter's trailer is certainly torsion axles which are far more sensitive to loading, whereas mine is leaf, which allows a lot more flexibility.

By the way, jrbkarter - what sort of MPG are you getting with that trailer in tow?
Old 03-06-2018, 01:01 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

You guys need to be using this....

https://www.weigh-safe.com/

It is phenominal,... and even allows me to adjust height when I need to tow a log splitter,... or my buddies skiff,... or or or....

=Steve

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Figured I would follow up on my post #4,... since I've switched from a open trailer to enclosed.
This was on our way back from Asheville NC Treffen. Pulled wonderfully. All aluminum except the frame (weighs 3,500 lbs).
Did a CatScale before we left & with everything loaded (trailer, 911, 2 spare trailer tires, & tools) we were at 6,800 lbs.
CTT pulled it easily. My personal opinion is that the PDCC has a lot to do with it. Air suspension might help a little too.
We also run a "weigh-safe" hitch which has the built-in gauge to show my exact tongue weight. Love it.
=Steve
Old 03-06-2018, 04:34 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

You guys need to be using this....https://www.weigh-safe.com/ It is phenominal,... and even allows me to adjust height when I need to tow a log splitter,... or my buddies skiff,... or or or....
Very cool, but you're adding a bunch of leverage (I.e. effective tongue weight as seen by the hitch) since the bare minimum distance between the pin and the ball is 8.5" (9.75" at 4" drop).. (ref the other thread I started about drawbar length - https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...nit-picky.html ) And there's no way in hell I'm paying $115 for the trailer ball with the scale built-in! (Though that is admittedly awesome)

I've used the "bathroom scale method" before ( https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx ), and also the weigh station method. Much cheaper, but certainly not as easy or elegant.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:41 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Interesting. Thanks for posting that Eskimo1 (just read your other thread). I had not seen that little label on my Cayenne before,.. and yes I just check the distance,... when in my normal position, that I am 9.5" from the pin to center of weigh-safe ball. 3" further than recommended.

With my above shown enclosed 20', plus my 964T, tools, I total 6,800 lbs, and when I level the trailer out (equal height to ground in front to rear), I usually land just about 375 lbs of tongue weight.

So it sounds like I'm still "safe". Hope so,... cuz it's been up & down the east coast & out to mid-west already.

Btw, even the stnd solid ball hitches around here are $80,... so spend add'l $35 for the weigh-safe was a no-brainer for the features, adjustability & built-in gauge. Easy purchase & haven't looked back.

=Steve
Old 03-07-2018, 10:20 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Yeah, 375 is definitely in the safe range. The trailer tows that well with so little tongue weight? Good to know. (The wind hitting the flat front of the trailer certainly does help keep it in line)

If I do have to replace the hitch ball for whatever reason, https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Ball/...fe/WSUN-1.html is only about $40 more than a comparable interchangable setup - you're right - no-brainer!

How stable are those mirror extensions you use? I haven't decided on what to go with - they all seem like they'd end up marring the paint.. except those.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:44 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

It's hard to get the rear engine 911 weight further forward to get more tongue weight. There's only so much I can do with height adjustment on the hitch, to push weight forward onto the tongue.
When I tow the front engine 68 & 69 Camaro's, I can get more tongue weight easy enough, and still keep the trailer level. So with varying cars to tow, it's a balance act on my part.

You also mention wind hitting the front & keeping it stable. Back when I was deciding which trailer to buy, I had been told that too,... ie. that V-Nose would create more tail wag. I have not noticed a single bit of that, but of course I think my PDCC in my CTT has something to do with countering.

Lastly, the mirrors I chose are the same that other Rennlisters had mentioned in other threads. Dometic DM-2899 Milenco Aero3. $85 on Amazon. They have little rubber pads on the clamps that pinch the lower lip of the mirrors. I've been using them for a couple years now, and have not had any marring or scuffing. Then again, the paint on Porsche's is very good.

Thanks for the conversation Rich. I learned something new,.. and will certainly pay close attention when setting up for a tow trip. With the value of our cars, it's the least I can do to have a safe trip.
=Steve
Old 03-07-2018, 11:56 AM
jrbkarter
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Originally Posted by Eskimo1
Ahhh yes, the need for the elusive 1" higher drawbar. I could really use a 1" drop to perfectly level my trailer, but it's not that big of a deal to me. However, jrbkarter's trailer is certainly torsion axles which are far more sensitive to loading, whereas mine is leaf, which allows a lot more flexibility.

By the way, jrbkarter - what sort of MPG are you getting with that trailer in tow?
Actually, it may just be a case of user error of why the tongue looks to be riding low...or it may be a case of I'll need to flip the draw bar and reverse the ball. The exterior shots were from my initial test drive with an empty trailer this past weekend after installing the Redarc brake controller. I had just washed both the Cayenne and trailer at our local oversized self serve bay car wash and had dropped the Cayenne into the low (not loading) setting to wash the roof easier. One thing I've yet to figure out over 3 years of Cayenne air suspension ownership is when the damn thing is going to retain it's previous setting, and when it's going to automatically go back to the "normal" setting. Obviously when it's been dropped all the way to loading height, it always comes back up to normal, but when it's only been in low- sometimes it stays in low for the entire next drive, sometimes it comes back up to normal.

Anyway, I'm wondering if the truck was still in the low height for those pics as I didn't notice the nose down pitch of the trailer at the time on my phone, I only picked up on it at home later on during upload, so by that time it was too late to confirm the suspension setting on the Cayenne. Previously on my 957 Turbo- normal height gave me exactly 17" of ball height which is dead on for the trailer. I admittedly assumed the 958 would be the same so I have not measured it yet but I'll be whipping out the tape measure over the next few days as I have an event on Thursday. Keeping in mind that you actually want a slightly nose down pitch with the trailer loaded, I may have to get creative if I indeed end up being too low at normal height as the Cayenne is very specific (as recently noted) about draw bar length/ball distance from pin. Most aftermarket draw bars push the ball significantly further out from the pin than the Cayenne calls for so alternate draw bar shopping will be fun.

As for tongue weight, I'm very picky and have experimented with various loading locations of the car and components to get my tongue weight exactly where I want it, which is over the official "New" Porsche tongue weight rating but much closer to my preferred 10%. I shoot for a 700lb tongue weight fully loaded as my total weight is 7500-7600 depending upon tires, fluids, etc.

From my previous loading behind me 957 T:

Old 03-08-2018, 12:14 AM
markar
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I tow my boat .
The following users liked this post:
Kordaat (12-16-2019)
Old 03-13-2018, 11:07 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 122 Posts

So, bought a demo 2017 Platinum edition, V6. Will be pulling a small camping trailer, which is what we mostly be towing.
But, seldom, i will pull either my C2S 997.2 (3100#) or my 70 Camaro (3500#) using a yet to be purchased Featherlite or Trailex alum open. Totaling 5000# +/-.

Haven't seen the torque, but the HP is around 300.

Anybody else here with just a "V6"?
the S and GTS were outa my budget. Maybe should have bought an one or two year older S with CPO....

Sorry, i know this is a pics thread, but what the heck...

Last edited by mikes70; 03-13-2018 at 11:08 PM. Reason: added content
Old 03-14-2018, 12:39 AM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 4,940 Likes on 1,911 Posts

Just bought this yesterday. E-track is being installed, floor finished and the Weigh Safe hitch is on the way. My question is: What brake controller should I buy? Anyone using a RFD type or is hard wiring the only way?

Old 03-14-2018, 09:51 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

That's a big'un! 24' + the V?

I bought a Prodigy RF (but haven't pulled with it yet - first tow is next week). I've seen Prodigy P3's installed (used one of those in my last truck for years and years), and a few have installed the very slick RedArc controller as well. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:26 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 928 GT R
Just bought this yesterday. E-track is being installed, floor finished and the Weigh Safe hitch is on the way. My question is: What brake controller should I buy? Anyone using a RFD type or is hard wiring the only way?
Oh yea, that's huge for a Cayenne!!
I'm using a Tekonsha 90195 P3 which was a breeze to connect to the plug under my dash.

Originally Posted by mikes70
... i will pull either my C2S 997.2 (3100#) or my 70 Camaro (3500#) using a yet to be purchased Featherlite or Trailex alum open. Totaling 5000# +/-.
Anybody else here with just a "V6"?
Camaro's (1st Gen) & 911's for me too!! ... As you can see above, I'm using a CTT to tow with.
=Steve
Old 03-14-2018, 12:51 PM
EpiKAC
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It's hard to get the rear engine 911 weight further forward to get more tongue weight. There's only so much I can do with height adjustment on the hitch, to push weight forward onto the tongue.
Back it in!

Quick Reply: What do you tow? (958 Pic-thread)