Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 06:45 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Just a quick thought. Porsche’s recommendation of much higher pressures for the rear tires vs the front,, coupled with the lower weight on rear vs front, is going to create a slight imbalance front to rear in terms of rolling radius. Wonder if this is contributing. May be a bigger factor than tire wear...
Old 09-12-2018, 11:19 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by offagain
Just wanted to add some feedback that I found out recently.

Been speaking to a couple of independents and a local Porsche center (the techs themselves) about the drivetrain and the various issues the 958 has. My car has had the TC replaced and I am paranoid about having it go bad again (out of warranty unfortunately) and I was keen to figure out preventative measures. Clearly regular checks on the fluid and the updated vent tube etc is a great thing to do. But one thing that I noticed before here (can't find the post), but its worth raising up again though - everyone seems to be focusing in on tire wear and consistency. Everyone I spoke to seems to think that some of the drivetrain issues 'could' be related to uneven wear of the tires. Seems that its very sensitive to uneven wear and this can cause excessive wear on key components in the drivetrain as a whole (including the TC). I know the common advice from Porsche centers is to replace all 4 tires and brakes at the same time, but as the cars age and pass to second and third owners, many don't do this which could accelerate the deterioration of the components.

Is there evidence on this? Not really, but worth considering if anyone is suffering or worried about the TC (and differentials) - best to replace tires all at the same time and keep things consistent. If anyone has anything specific though - please do share. But this seems to be the advice that I am getting.
I think I may have posted about this. More important than just the difference in rolling diameters is if one axle is much more worn than the other. A friend with one of the big GM 4WD SUV's found he was going through transfer cases about every month. I asked him if he'd replaced any tires recently - and he'd replaced the rear tires after having a flat. The front were about due to be replaced. I suggested he try to even up the wear by replacing the fronts. He mentioned it to his dealer - who gave him new front tires to see if that would help. That was the end of his transfer case issues. I believe Porsche has a specification for this - I seem to recall no more than 2MM difference in tread depth.

What I have seen on photos of disassembled Cayenne transfer cases is rust on the clutch disk fingers where they transfer power to the clutch hub and the clutch cage. I think that's probably the biggest cause of failure. Once the plates don't engage correctly they'll start wearing rapidly and bobs your uncle - you've got a bad transfer case. I think regular fluid changes and the vent kit for the transfer case will go a long way toward making the cases last.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:13 AM
edde
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I know that different tire sizes front and rear may render your case ground up beyond repair. I'd be disappointed to think a few mm's difference tread was enough to cause this, but anything is possible. I note that some owners are not reporting the issue. Too bad we aren't modifying some pickup truck case to work
Old 09-13-2018, 08:47 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

My son has had two Subarus over the years. He was advised by the dealer to always replace all four tires at the same time to protect the drive line. Following this recommendation he had no drive line issues.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:33 AM
aof
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Transfer case replaced under warranty; 2016 Turbo, 14K miles, usual symptoms. Ventline P958-301-047-10.
So far no issues after 1000 miles on a trip out west.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:52 AM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by aof
Transfer case replaced under warranty; 2016 Turbo, 14K miles, usual symptoms. Ventline P958-301-047-10.
So far no issues after 1000 miles on a trip out west.
same vent line here 1500 miles with one small issue , in Sport+ mode while slowly position the car in my garage and just before stop there is a big clunk sound and feel from the transfer case area. i do not recall the original case did that.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:37 PM
Euro911SC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2013 GTS w/ PTV+ & PDCC exhibiting TC issues specifically on down shifts into 2nd/3rd. Its like it just drops the clutch and doesn't match revs... This morning I had a spell where the revs raced with no accel then shifted into 2nd and the car takes off. Sigh...
Old 09-20-2018, 03:25 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Euro911SC
2013 GTS w/ PTV+ & PDCC exhibiting TC issues specifically on down shifts into 2nd/3rd. Its like it just drops the clutch and doesn't match revs... This morning I had a spell where the revs raced with no accel then shifted into 2nd and the car takes off. Sigh...
Fluid change time!
Old 09-20-2018, 03:56 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Euro911SC
That sounds more like transmission than just transfer case.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:24 PM
aof
Instructor

Originally Posted by marinerbc
same vent line here 1500 miles with one small issue , in Sport+ mode while slowly position the car in my garage and just before stop there is a big clunk sound and feel from the transfer case area. i do not recall the original case did that.
So far, 3000 miles, no issues. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:50 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by aof
Yeah 3000 miles....piece of cake. Wait till you get at least 30k on the new one before you start partying. My previous CTT had its first replacement around 32k miles, and the second one just after 60k. The one put in at the 60k replacement was the latest version TC along with the vent kit, etc. I traded it about 12k miles after that, so I’ll never know how that new one holds up over time....but hopefully it goes longer than another 30k!

(BTW, my CTT was never used for towing, never tracked, not driven overly aggressive on the street, and never driven through deep water....in fact not even driven much when it rained)

Best of luck with yours though, sincerely. I hope Porsche finally has this solved with the latest parts...it’s ridiculous.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:27 PM
aof
Instructor

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA

Yeah 3000 miles....piece of cake. Wait till you get at least 30k on the new one before you start partying. My previous CTT had its first replacement around 32k miles, and the second one just after 60k. The one put in at the 60k replacement was the latest version TC along with the vent kit, etc. I traded it about 12k miles after that, so I’ll never know how that new one holds up over time....but hopefully it goes longer than another 30k!

(BTW, my CTT was never used for towing, never tracked, not driven overly aggressive on the street, and never driven through deep water....in fact not even driven much when it rained)

Best of luck with yours though, sincerely. I hope Porsche finally has this solved with the latest parts...it’s ridiculous.
Thanks CarGuyNVA. Quite disappointing really. I really need to extend the warranty on the car.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:01 AM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default adaptation !

Originally Posted by aof
glad to hear , keep the post updated with the good news , there is hope for that latest version.
was scanning the invoice and had the chance to read it again, noticed the technician did adaptation reset twice ,as in the past few days that clunk just before stopping in sport+ is gone.
i have an iCarsoft POR II coming in the mail maybe i can reset adaptation again.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:56 PM
Euro911SC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garrett376
Fluid change time!
Ok so I changed the fluid with Ravenol. Easy. Huge difference in shifting! Still some remnant of the bad behavior, but over all much much improved. Thoughts on chances for Porsche to give me a new TC? No warranty that I can see.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:43 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

I've now gotten obsessed with creating surveys using Google Forms (cool tool!) - and I've created one for the transfer case failures. I think I have everything covered in it - but if there are suggestions or errors spotted - fire away.

It can be found at: https://goo.gl/forms/fF75xsoM24nuLVhE2 - and it might take about 5 minutes to fill in (worst case)

TIA for giving it a shot!

Quick Reply: Transfer case