Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 04:20 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Yikes! That's a lot of stuff.

When you say "the 'All-wheel drive' module in my 2017", is the data presented related to various components comprising the AWD drivetrain, or just the transfer case alone?
Old 05-08-2017, 05:36 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

V40 is the item to monitor. When it exceeds 145 kWh the tc oil should be changed. My CD is going in for service soon. I plan to have the tc oil changed, V40 read and reset and an oil sample sent to Blackstone. I realize I have a CD but I'm interested to see if my car has the tc remote vent.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:21 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA

When you say "the 'All-wheel drive' module in my 2017", is the data presented related to various components comprising the AWD drivetrain, or just the transfer case alone?
It's from the 'all-wheel drive' module. Which, I'm assuming (based on no facts) is the transfer case. There's a whole other module for the transmission.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:23 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r553
V40 is the item to monitor. When it exceeds 145 kWh the tc oil should be changed. My CD is going in for service soon. I plan to have the tc oil changed, V40 read and reset and an oil sample sent to Blackstone. I realize I have a CD but I'm interested to see if my car has the tc remote vent.
Ok, now I at least have a baseline figure for the current date and mileage. I'll check it now and then to see how the number changes.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:24 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
This is nothing, there's literally hundreds of variables involved on the various in-vehicle networks. Seats, windows, hvac, drivetrain, keys, airbags, electrical management, fuel, etc. I know enough to be aware of this, but not what all of them actually represent.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:03 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
A conversation this past weekend with an SA from a local dealer (who will remain nameless) indicated they'd done a fair number of Cayenne transfer case replacements. And that moisture corrupting the fluid was a considerable influence.
Interesting comment on his part. Pretty much confirms what I surmised looking at how the re-venting was being done.

Did you happen to ask him if they'd tried fluid changes on ones that had been moisture corrupted?
Old 05-08-2017, 09:05 PM
deilenberger
Banned

The 145 kWh is the number Porsche uses. It's in the factory manual. I would suggest by the time it's hit 145 kWh it's already in trouble. Mine was about half that number or less with 70,000+ miles on a CTT. And behavior was improved by changing the oil.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:09 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Here's some pixs, as the app doesn't lend itself to dumping info (and I forgot to use screencaps):
Interesting..

(Image from the demo software)

On the older version of the software - ICarScan - at the bottom of the screen is also an option for "Reports" - which generates a text report of the info displayed on the screen. It can be called up from the software main menu - or it can be mailed to someone and opened with a plain text reader. Also the option to "Record" will record the selected values which can later be plotted.

Last edited by deilenberger; 05-08-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:22 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

There is a Reports option in the Android version. You have to Save first and then the Share icon becomes selectable. That allows sending a PDF to anything the Share feature supports. With mine I sent it as a PDF to my e-mail account.

Like this report showing 2 DTC codes from the AC system:

The one thing I don't see in these is any kind of timestamp as to when the condition occurred. I don't know of the system tracks that or not. But the app doesn't appear to be extracting it. It'd be helpful to know that.

Given this is a 'generic' app, targeted across many vehicle brands, it's not a surprise to find it might not be able to do everything an actual PIWIS system can. Anyone know for sure if PIWIS can extract a timestamp for a DTC?

I should point out that the dash shows no error lights regarding these. I've no idea what these mean, and I'm not having any trouble getting any of the AC systems to function. I do realize, of course, that DTCs don't necessarily mean there's an active problem, just that something, at some point, tripped it.

The 8320 may well have come about as I was finding circuits to attach an inline 12v-USB converter. I noticed other DTCs that were surely related to when I was testing a key/remote feature module patched in-between the harness and the module in the liftgate.

How does one get a DTC report on the dash? Is it even possible? In other vehicles there were ways, like turning the ignition from off-run-off-run-off-run--pause and then it'd list DTCs. Anything like that in the 958 series?
Old 05-08-2017, 10:30 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Interesting to note the Porsche download is version on Android is 21.81, but it's 20.71. The EZ Diag app version is the same; 6.1.0 on both Android and IOS.

Is there any kind of 'enthusiast' web forum for these apps and their modules? I have to imagine there's got to be some others fighting with this program and the modules. Because going direct to the purchaser is not producing very timely nor helpful progress.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:34 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Also, are these not actually compatible with all the other OBD apps out there? I've used the Torque Pro app on Android for ages and I'm suprised to find it won't communicate with this dongle.

Tangentially, the dongle came in two pieces; an orange one with two LEDs (nothing else, no buttons or connectors) and a black male-female plug. It works with just the orange module plugged into the OBD port. Is the black piece just a socket extender? Having it plugged in-between the module and the port doesn't make any detectable difference.

To better see the LEDs I've taken to using a right-angle OBD cable:
Amazon Amazon

Old 05-09-2017, 10:14 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
On the older version of the software - ICarScan...
When I search the IOS AppStore nothing comes up for icarscan (in neither iPad nor iPhone categories).
Old 05-15-2017, 07:43 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

My dealer wants $300 to change TC fluid so I'll do it myself. They also want $500 to add the vent kit. The service adviser said I should wait for TC failure and then I would get the vent kit installed at no charge as part of TC replacement.

My CD is approaching 30K miles, no symptoms.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:57 PM
deilenberger
Banned

My dealer wants $300 to change TC fluid so I'll do it myself. They also want $500 to add the vent kit. The service adviser said I should wait for TC failure and then I would get the vent kit installed at no charge as part of TC replacement.

My CD is approaching 30K miles, no symptoms.
Yeah - dealers do charge a bit don't they? You can do it using Genuine Porsche Fluid (tm) for about $60 if you have even the very slightest mechanical ability. It's about the easiest thing to do on a Cayenne. The fill and drain plugs are right out there in the open waiting for you to drain and fill the case. You can do it even cheaper (about $15) if you want to go the Mutol route. As best I could see with the vent kit - it requires R&R of the transfer case to install. The vent fitting on top of the clutch housing is about impossible to reach from underneath the car even with it up on a lift.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:05 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Don, based on your previous posts I have the latest Porsche fluid on order from Sunset. What should the drain & fill plugs be tightened to?
I agree it looks straightforward to do the fluid change. I'll send a sample to Blackstone. Thanks for all your efforts to document folks experiences with their transfer cases.

Rob

Quick Reply: Transfer case