Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 10:27 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Don,
My experience with the local dealer was they did not stock the new TC oil. I had to supply it to them. YMMV.

Good luck,

Rob
Old 01-08-2018, 10:39 AM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Not sure how much longer I'll be in LA - but if it looks like more than a few more days (visiting my son and daughter-in-law) I might explore finding a shop that can change it for me - provided I can get new fill/drain plugs and a liter of the Porsche oil fairly quickly.
You can pick up from Pelican Parts in Harbor City, CA if you in a rush - https://www.pelicanparts.com/support/ContactUs.htm
https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/1082/POR_1082_BASMIS_pg4.htm#item16
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/000-043-300-37-OEM&SuperCat=Y&SVSVSI=1082.htm
Old 01-08-2018, 07:59 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M
Any links to expand on other reports of not liking how the Ravenol behaves? I was going to use it when doing the T/C and Diffs (also Ravenol-MDL) in the next few weeks.
Some were here, some were on 6speedonline and some were personal communications. A bit of searching will turn up several instances where people went from old oil to Ravenol and symptoms got better but still were present, they then went to the new Porsche oil (cheapest price I saw was $47 - which seems to be pretty standard) and symptoms went away. I wasn't certain if this was because the remainder of the old oil got flushed with the Ravenol or not, but my own experience is - I won't use it again.

Feel free to use whatever you want to in your vehicle - it's your $$. Balancing a replacement TC vs an additional $30 for a better oil - I come down on the side of the better oil. But that's probably just me.

YMMV..
Old 01-08-2018, 08:02 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by r553
Don,
My experience with the local dealer was they did not stock the new TC oil. I had to supply it to them. YMMV.

Good luck,

Rob
Not at all a surprise - but they certainly could have ordered a liter for you. That's why I won't bother with a dealer on this. People have gotten quotes of $400 to change the TC oil. That's just silly for 10 minutes work.

Dealers buy oil in 25 to 50 gallon drums. You can bet they don't dump the drum and replace it every time Porsche changes oil specs. They'll continue using it - with the justification that it was good enough when they bought it.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:06 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Kinda my plan actually - but just wrote them to see if they want to add to their DIY library with a TC oil change for a 958.. mine. Problem is I'm visiting and don't have a handy garage to do it in, or I'd be sliding under it myself. They also have the fill/drain plugs which I want to replace this time. Waiting to hear back from them - if you know anyone there and want to drop them a line - I'm available whenever, especially since it's raining today and tomorrow.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Kirill
Racer

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Kinda my plan actually - but just wrote them to see if they want to add to their DIY library with a TC oil change for a 958.. mine. Problem is I'm visiting and don't have a handy garage to do it in, or I'd be sliding under it myself. They also have the fill/drain plugs which I want to replace this time. Waiting to hear back from them - if you know anyone there and want to drop them a line - I'm available whenever, especially since it's raining today and tomorrow.
I used to have success with small mom and pop oil change places - the ones with "drive over" pit - I come in during slow hours bring my fluid and then direct the guy what to do, they usually happy with 20$ for service.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:16 AM
fivefathomapple
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am happy to report that my dealership was able to agree with me that my transfer case was failing. I am pretty sure the first time they tried to diagnose my problem was on a cold morning as I had dropped off the vehicle a few days before. I found that the problem is more noticeable when everything is up to temperature, and I believe they took it out cold and assumed it was fine. So, anyone going to the dealership, make sure your car is at operating temperature for a proper diagnosis. Now I just hope my new TC holds up for a good long time!
Old 01-16-2018, 08:01 PM
CosmoRx
AutoX

Figured I would add myself to the casualty list.

2011 Porsche Cayenne S - 100k miles

Issues started when wheel speed sensors went bad and was constantly causing crazy torque vectoring errors, hesitations and all kinds of craziness until we got it back home (was almost 1k miles from our indie) and to the shop. 1800$ later all wheel speed sensors were replaced and issues seemed to be resolved. 3k miles later and a thumping started appearing. Went back to indie shop who told me they have no idea whats wrong, no codes, etc. I read on here about transfer case issues and the thumping described was what i was experiencing. Asked to have the TC fluid changed, did not resolve the issue per the indie. On my way to pick up from the shop now. Was quoted 4800 to replace the TC.

Does anyone know if the TC in the Cayenne S crosses with any other cars? I cannot seem to find a part number anywhere. Also is it possible to replace the clutches in them instead of a full rip and replace?
Old 01-16-2018, 10:06 PM
Kirill
Racer

Originally Posted by CosmoRx

Does anyone know if the TC in the Cayenne S crosses with any other cars? I cannot seem to find a part number anywhere. Also is it possible to replace the clutches in them instead of a full rip and replace?
Few posts back in this tread - https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post14640984

There are repair parts available, but so far no one from US came forward and said they did successfully rebuild TC, but I am sure there are shops in Europe that rebuild TCs and don't brag about it on the internet.
So you want to get 300$ worth of parts and see if you can replace the clutches and save few grand ? If we autopsy one broken TC - we can figure out repair path for fraction of what dealer chargers.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:44 AM
CosmoRx
AutoX

Originally Posted by Kirill
Few posts back in this tread - https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post14640984

There are repair parts available, but so far no one from US came forward and said they did successfully rebuild TC, but I am sure there are shops in Europe that rebuild TCs and don't brag about it on the internet.
So you want to get 300$ worth of parts and see if you can replace the clutches and save few grand ? If we autopsy one broken TC - we can figure out repair path for fraction of what dealer chargers.
That is my thought. It is absolutely ridiculous that Porsche has ignored this issue and wants to throw a 4,000 repair bill at someone for their incompetence. If this was the 1st gen Cayenne I would say learning curve but that car was around or almost 8 years. If I can indeed find the parts for the internals I will see if I can get the TC tore down and rebuild. I seen videos of a shop in Germany doing just this, although he didnt go into detail as to what the issue was just a rebuild time lapse.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:39 PM
Kirill
Racer

Originally Posted by CosmoRx
That is my thought. It is absolutely ridiculous that Porsche has ignored this issue and wants to throw a 4,000 repair bill at someone for their incompetence. If this was the 1st gen Cayenne I would say learning curve but that car was around or almost 8 years. If I can indeed find the parts for the internals I will see if I can get the TC tore down and rebuild. I seen videos of a shop in Germany doing just this, although he didnt go into detail as to what the issue was just a rebuild time lapse.
Porsche did cheapen out on the all-wheel-drive system for 958 compared with 955/957 - but they did go too cheap, hence the falling TC, their cost is probably 300-400$ for the complete TC and 100-300$ in labor charges, the other $3500 on the $4000 repair is profit
Replacement Internal parts are available, my understanding is "noise"=bad bearings, "jerking\slippage"=bad clutch disks, good shop should be capable of replacing clutch disks and adding the vent line
Old 01-18-2018, 05:54 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by CAVU
... 1. It seems that back in October of 2016, Porsche told the dealers that prior to installation from inventory, they were to update the transfer case with a kit that included three parts: boot over the front shaft, vent and a vent line. My transfer case was replaced in January of 2017, but the updated kit was not included. Well, back to the dealer. ...
Follow up to my earlier post. Took the '11 Cayenne S in for its annual safety checks and coolant smell hunt (still no source identified, yet), and while it was there I asked them to look into the Porsche Communication from Oct 2016 directing its dealers to fit the vent kits during all future R&Rs. Picked up the car and they showed me a communication that was effective in Jun 2017. So I left my copy of the NHTSA document with them and asked that the service manager research it again since i had pointed it out to them before I brought it in for service. Received a communication from the service manager today that they had made a mistake and that the 3 part kit would be installed, along with a fluid change, when my Cayenne goes in for its news cam shaft adjusters ... next week. Here is the info from the NHTSA that I shared with them:
Components: EQUIPMENT
NHTSA ID Number: 10119330
Manufacturer Communication Number: 122-P6P7K-10
Summary

Converting transfer cases that are still in stock to the new type before installing them in customer vehicles.
The optimized transfer case is used during production from week 31/2016.
If the transfer case needs to be replaced, check the part number of the new transfer case.
If the transfer case is the old type, it must be converted to the new type before doing any other work.
Conversion to the new type involves:
- Fitting a new protective ring on the front output drive (sometimes also referred to as "dust boot"),
- Fitting a new vent connection (breather adapter)
- Retrofitting a vent line in the vehicle.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:14 PM
Kirill
Racer

Originally Posted by CAVU
Conversion to the new type involves:
- Fitting a new protective ring on the front output drive (sometimes also referred to as "dust boot"),
- Fitting a new vent connection (breather adapter)
- Retrofitting a vent line in the vehicle.
Doesn't sounds like much for the "new type" conversion. Just 10$ worth of plastic
Old 01-18-2018, 10:30 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirill
Doesn't sounds like much for the "new type" conversion. Just 10$ worth of plastic
The Mercedes G-Wagens have these type of vent systems and on our G-Wagen forum there are zero issues with water contamination (both diffs, transmission and transfer case). Even though the transfer case designs are very different, if Porsche reduces one nasty variable, water, then it is a step forward. Time will tell on the factory 2016 and newer that had them installed from the factory. The rest of us off warranty folks, we will fend for ourselves and try to get Porsche to take more responsibility for these transfer cases than they have so far. Strength in numbers.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:48 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Haven't checked in here for a while as I've only been really in the Variocam thread lately, but saw Don make mention of the updated Porsche fluid and being happier with it in a facebook Cayenne group so I figured I'd get myself semi-up-to-speed on what's gone on in here.

Mine is still in for the cam adjuster failure, I'll be calling Monday to ask about the updated vent kit, and seeing if they can get that done while it's there as I forgot to mention when I last spoke to them last week.

My TC showed no symptoms of failure, but I changed it out for the Ravenol and have driven on that for roughly 5-6k miles still showing no issue. Come spring I may change it out for the new fluid to be on the safe side if it seems to hold up better long-term. I'll be interested to hear others' feedback. I'll likely have the crack in the rear cover welded if possible when I do that, and if I can find out more about the rebuild, just go ahead and do that at the same time to prevent future failure.

This makes me wonder how many - if any - are out there with higher mileage and zero failures. When I get it back I may visit the dealer it was serviced at prior to my ownership to see if they can tell me if it was replaced at any point, or had the fluid changed regularly.

Quick Reply: Transfer case