Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 02:10 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
I don't think diesels are immune from the transfer case issue.
Interesting. I see you have a Cayenne Diesel listed in your sig. Has your CD had to have a TC replacement?
Old 04-30-2017, 03:16 PM
termite01
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Mine has the PU5 Sport Pkg which includes PTV+. And as you can see from the posts above, mine has had two replacements, the most recent containing updated hardware. So I'm hoping that's it and it's solved once and for all this time around. Time will tell.

I believe the only 958 that may be 'immune' is the diesel model? I think it uses a different transfer case.
Mine also has PTV+ and ate both TC and diff at 31k miles. CPO covered all of it.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:41 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Interesting. I see you have a Cayenne Diesel listed in your sig. Has your CD had to have a TC replacement?
I am the second owner and don't have all records from first owner. Since it has warranty until 100K miles, I don't think about it much.

It makes a humming noise when downshifting at low speeds. Not sure if it is the transmission or diff or TC.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:04 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

The diesel and hybrid use a different case, and so far - I have seen no mention of a failure of those cases. They use 50/50 torque distribution, unlike the gas engine 32/68. If anyone can point me to a failure I'm all ears.

And besides Mercedes, BMW has problems with their transfer-cases. Generally chain stretch apparently, causing horrible klunking noises.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:25 AM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
g8tor20, ... even though mine is not a CTTS, it is a CTT with PTV (& PDCC). My TC started failing at 43k miles. No idea if PTV has any impact on or with, but I did mention that thought in one of my prior posts too. I doubt the CTTS TC is immune.
2014 CTTS with 21k miles - dealer just replaced the TC under warranty. Same as all the other Cayenne models just not nearly as many of them on the road.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:36 AM
g8tor20
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

thanks guys for the clarification!
The following users liked this post:
troydt2000 (12-29-2019)
Old 05-01-2017, 12:47 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Here is the latest compilation of failures and fixes. The listings were sourced from 3 different forums - so not all user names are on this forum, nor are they necessarily the same here as where I found them.

As can be seen - Porsche's fix under warranty is simply to replace the case. In all the cases listed where the owner changed the fluid - the transfer cases started behaving normally. There may be two different failure modes going on - low mileage ones being a defective case/clutch; - high mileage ones being contaminated/worn fluid.

Last edited by deilenberger; 05-01-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:25 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Latest update as of 05/02/17:

Old 05-02-2017, 05:51 PM
kkturbo
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Great Listing Don!

Maybe I am just speculating but I don't see a 2011 CS with a TC problem just the CTT. I am hoping for the best because my '11 CS is has over 40k miles.

Is the '11 CTT over-torquing the TC?

Is the TC failures random or linked to a particular failure?

Are the clutch packs manufactured by multiple vendors?

Am I just lucky right now?

Just my unpremeditated thoughts!
NZPorscheDIY (06-10-2023)
Old 05-02-2017, 11:06 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by kkturbo
Maybe I am just speculating but I don't see a 2011 CS with a TC problem just the CTT. I am hoping for the best because my '11 CS is has over 40k miles.

Is the '11 CTT over-torquing the TC?

Is the TC failures random or linked to a particular failure?

Are the clutch packs manufactured by multiple vendors?

Am I just lucky right now?

Just my unpremeditated thoughts!
I wish you the best on that.. but I suspect as they age and get miles on them - more early models will be added to the list.

Just a WAG for me. There is a different calibration of some sort for the different models, different PN's on the transfer cases - but from some looking I did, it appears all the V8's used the same PN.

I'd also suggest besides hoping it continues working fine - you be proactive and change the "lifetime" fluid before it reaches the end of it's life. Like now. Pound of prevention sort of thing..
Old 05-04-2017, 10:16 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I'd also suggest besides hoping it continues working fine - you be proactive and change the "lifetime" fluid before it reaches the end of it's life. Like now. Pound of prevention sort of thing..
Any thoughts yet on what that change interval should be? Obviously I just got a new TC installed, so the fluid is nice and new, but what about as time goes on... Annually? Some other time-based interval? Or mileage based interval perhaps? I'm thinking with average mileage and usage (whatever that really is), changing it every other year might do it (?) Sort of like Porsche recommends for the brake fluid flush, every two years.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:50 AM
deilenberger
Banned

My suggestion is - every other oil change. And adjust it up or down based on what it looks like next time that it's changed. If it is dark and has any burned smell to it - shorten up the interval. If it remains clear - then you can lengthen the interval.
Bassman37 (04-08-2022)
Old 05-08-2017, 03:51 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

A conversation this past weekend with an SA from a local dealer (who will remain nameless) indicated they'd done a fair number of Cayenne transfer case replacements. And that moisture corrupting the fluid was a considerable influence. Fixing and then raising the vent have been two tactics employed to try and reduce it, but he did not know if that was sufficient or not. As yet they haven't done any replacement of TCs previously replaced AND having had the raised vent tube fix. He indicated that while Cayenne TCs are readily available, Macan transfer cases are back-ordered for them.

He mentioned two ways to know of you've got TC problems. One was the usual, go somewhere quiet and smooth, like a parking garage, open the windows and listen for clicking and the feel of skipping during turns. Just regular turns, not ones at full lock.

That and get all four wheels off the ground on a lift and manually turn one. If you hear TC case clicking then it'll need replacing.

As for clicking/sluggishness under power, disconnect the wiring connector into the TC and if the noise stops then it's due for TC replacement. Obviously you should not continue driving with it disconnected.

He did not seem to think there was an immediate end in sight for this problem.
NZPorscheDIY (06-10-2023)
Old 05-08-2017, 04:00 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by wkearney99
A conversation this past weekend with an SA from a local dealer (who will remain nameless) indicated they'd done a fair number of Cayenne transfer case replacements. And that moisture corrupting the fluid was a considerable influence. Fixing and then raising the vent have been two tactics employed to try and reduce it, but he did not know if that was sufficient or not. As yet they haven't done any replacement of TCs previously replaced AND having had the raised vent tube fix. He indicated that while Cayenne TCs are readily available, Macan transfer cases are back-ordered for them.

He mentioned two ways to know of you've got TC problems. One was the usual, go somewhere quiet and smooth, like a parking garage, open the windows and listen for clicking and the feel of skipping during turns. Just regular turns, not ones at full lock.

He did not seem to think there was an immediate end in sight for this problem.
Interesting, appreciate the additional info. The recent replacement for mine included the new vent kit, and I also noted that the part # has changed for the transfer case versus what it was previously. I hope with these new revisions the issue is finally fixed, but time will tell.

My SA mentioned (about a week and a half ago) that Cayenne TCs have been on back order too from time to time, in addition to the Macan units.

Here's hoping for the best this time around!
Old 05-08-2017, 04:08 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

When I look at the 'All-wheel drive' module in my 2017 using a BT dongle and the EZ-Diag android app it reports and number of bits of info, along with having several variables it can show or graph in real time. I'm open to suggestions as to which, if any, values would be most interesting to track over time (or during what kinds of conditions).

I've yet to have anything happening that's repeatable, so it's not like I can collect logs during a specific event. I've yet to come across anything that'd lend itself to long-term logging without being a huge hassle to set up every time.

Here's some pixs, as the app doesn't lend itself to dumping info (and I forgot to use screencaps):

Quick Reply: Transfer case