Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 11:44 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Wifes 12 cayenne started slipping , shutter at 103,000 km , 60,000 miles. Porsche SA ....replace TC or could drainTC, add antislip additive $5 then fill with new fluid. They did mention water contamination. Anyways after change no shutter and service was performed 2 months ago. I may get some Ravenol and change in a few months.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:13 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

DocDRS - do you have the service order for that change? I wonder what antislip additive they used? If it lists it - that would be excellent info. I think somewhere WAY back when I mentioned the GM "Corvette Limited Slip" additive - used in the limited slip differentials on Vettes. They use a multiplate wet clutch much like the transfer case uses - and they'd chatter going around corners if the additive wasn't used. I used it on a BMW 535i that had chatter after I changed the diff oil (limited slip) - worked like a charm.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:50 PM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Today I went to my mechanic to change out my transfer case fluid which was so easy I didn't have the time to get under the car plus it was only $20 bucks so well worth it.

Is it weird to say I noticed a immediate difference? feels smoother my CS, less input on the throttle to take off, drives more "relaxed"

I didnt manage to get a picture of the oil that drainedo ut but it wasn't that dark to begin with it was a medium shade brown. I managed to snag 1 picture but well worth it, come January 2018 or sometime whenever I will change the fluid again since I have another bottle
Attached Images   
Old 08-17-2017, 12:54 AM
projekt-h
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Fortunately my "fix" has held up perfectly fine.

I never had any real issues, but I do notice it's a bit smoother now. Biggest difference was in changing between reverse and drive, no more hesitation or harder change.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:57 AM
marascoa
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a first time post as I am a new owner to a lightly used 2016 Cayenne Turbo. I have not seen anyone comment on whether or not the 2016's had an improvement on this issue and am curious if any of you guys know? My CTT is still in transit and should be here by the end of the weekend so if I need to get this fixed, I might as well do it right away. Thanks in advance,

Tony
Old 09-02-2017, 02:36 PM
fatmatt0116
Instructor

Had mine done at 36k. 2014 tts.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:30 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

First TC replaced in a V6 i have seen.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...59k-miles.html
Old 09-03-2017, 12:42 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by chsu74
First TC replaced in a V6 i have seen.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...59k-miles.html
Back when I was keeping a record of the failures/replacements - the V6 was not immune to the failures. The only ones that appear to not have failures are the diesel and hybrid - and their cases are 50/50 cases, not 30/70 cases.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:26 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by marascoa
This is a first time post as I am a new owner to a lightly used 2016 Cayenne Turbo. I have not seen anyone comment on whether or not the 2016's had an improvement on this issue and am curious if any of you guys know? My CTT is still in transit and should be here by the end of the weekend so if I need to get this fixed, I might as well do it right away. Thanks in advance,

Tony
Tony, my dealer has instances where they've had to replace some TCs on the 958.2 series as well (2015-2017).
Old 09-04-2017, 11:25 AM
marascoa
4th Gear

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Tony, my dealer has instances where they've had to replace some TCs on the 958.2 series as well (2015-2017).
Got it. Is the best way to get this fixed to just call the dealer and let them know that I want to change out my transfer case fluid? Thanks,

Tony
Old 09-11-2017, 06:09 AM
Cords
3rd Gear

Default Cayenne diesel S

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Hi...new to this forum! I have a 2015 Diesel S (V8 4,2 l) and have same TC case problems. I have 41 000 Km on the clock. Local dealer will replace the TC under warranty, however I am concerned that the problem will return. I dont see any reverence on this forum to the V8 Diesel having the same TC problems?
My dealer assures me that the replacement TC is a "new upgraded TC" .... I am not convinced.

What I do not understand, is why this problem has not been solved years ago? Surely there should have been a factory recall?
Interesting to read about the venting issue as well as the replacing of the TC fluid.
Is it safe to say that once the TC has been replaced i can expect it to be trouble free for the next 150 000Km?
Thanking you in advance.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:02 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Cords
Hi...new to this forum! I have a 2015 Diesel S (V8 4,2 l) and have same TC case problems. I have 41 000 Km on the clock. Local dealer will replace the TC under warranty, however I am concerned that the problem will return. I dont see any reverence on this forum to the V8 Diesel having the same TC problems?
My dealer assures me that the replacement TC is a "new upgraded TC" .... I am not convinced.

What I do not understand, is why this problem has not been solved years ago? Surely there should have been a factory recall?
Interesting to read about the venting issue as well as the replacing of the TC fluid.
Is it safe to say that once the TC has been replaced i can expect it to be trouble free for the next 150 000Km?
Thanking you in advance.
The V8 diesel never made it to the US - so our experience on this forum is really nil. On the V6 diesels I have yet to see a report of a problem.

Since we're not familiar with the driveline on the V8 - do you know if it provides 50%/50% power or 30%/70% front/rear power as normal? It appears the vehicles using the 50%/50% distribution (in the US - the hybrid and V6 diesel) are free of this problem.

As far as why it hasn't been fixed before now, or the subject of a factory recall - you'd have to ask Porsche. A "recall" in the US means a very specific action taken by the manufacturer to cure a problem that presents danger to the vehicle occupants or surrounding vehicles. It doesn't get used for just a "factory fix" of a troublesome or ill-designed component.

Will the new one last 150,000Km? Don't know. Yours is the first reported diesel.

Since it sounds as if you're paying for this repair - have you tried the fluid change outlined here? It is a trivial cost service with the possibility of large savings.

BTW - since your Cayenne is a low mileage failure (41,000Km = ~25,000 miles) - there is a chance that you are suffering from a manufacturing flaw in the transfer case. All of the low miles/Km failures we've seen to date here seem to have a defective clutch assembly, where a part wasn't machined correctly. If that's the case - a fluid change is unlikely to fix it (but IMHO - worth trying anyway if you're paying for the repair.) In those cases - the replacement transfer cases seem to solve the problem. There appear to be two failure modes. The less common is the defective clutch problem at low mileage. The more common (especially as the cars get more miles on them) is wear related with fluid contamination.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:07 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by marascoa
Got it. Is the best way to get this fixed to just call the dealer and let them know that I want to change out my transfer case fluid? Thanks,

Tony
Tony - do you know it needs to be "fixed"? It certainly is a good thing to get a fluid change done - it might prevent problems in the future.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:53 AM
Cords
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by deilenberger
The V8 diesel never made it to the US - so our experience on this forum is really nil. On the V6 diesels I have yet to see a report of a problem.

Since we're not familiar with the driveline on the V8 - do you know if it provides 50%/50% power or 30%/70% front/rear power as normal? It appears the vehicles using the 50%/50% distribution (in the US - the hybrid and V6 diesel) are free of this problem.

As far as why it hasn't been fixed before now, or the subject of a factory recall - you'd have to ask Porsche. A "recall" in the US means a very specific action taken by the manufacturer to cure a problem that presents danger to the vehicle occupants or surrounding vehicles. It doesn't get used for just a "factory fix" of a troublesome or ill-designed component.

Will the new one last 150,000Km? Don't know. Yours is the first reported diesel.

Since it sounds as if you're paying for this repair - have you tried the fluid change outlined here? It is a trivial cost service with the possibility of large savings.

BTW - since your Cayenne is a low mileage failure (41,000Km = ~25,000 miles) - there is a chance that you are suffering from a manufacturing flaw in the transfer case. All of the low miles/Km failures we've seen to date here seem to have a defective clutch assembly, where a part wasn't machined correctly. If that's the case - a fluid change is unlikely to fix it (but IMHO - worth trying anyway if you're paying for the repair.) In those cases - the replacement transfer cases seem to solve the problem. There appear to be two failure modes. The less common is the defective clutch problem at low mileage. The more common (especially as the cars get more miles on them) is wear related with fluid contamination.
Thanks for that!
The repair is at no charge as the car is still under warranty. Yes I would love to change the TC oil , but am afraid of voiding the warranty. Here in Cape Town, the car also comes with a 5 year 100 000 km service plan which covers everything except tires! As far as the torque split, you are correct...only the V6 diesel and the Hybrid have the 48/52 fixed torque split ( older system). I am told the V8 diesel has the "infinitely variable" newer system as per the rest of the fleet.Also has the 8 speed auto gearbox.
I gathers from reading this thread that you dont get the V8 diesel in USA. Pity, it has to be the pick of the bunch! 385 Hp, 626 Ft lbs torque, 0-62mph in 5.4 sec! On top of great gas mileage ( 30+ Mpg)...ticks all the boxes!
It may have something to do with the quality of Diesel available in the USA....Sulphur need 50 ppm or lower.

The new TC is on order (Vin specific) from Germany and hope to have it fitted End of September.

Once the Tc is changed I will report back.
Thanks!
Old 09-13-2017, 01:44 AM
marascoa
4th Gear

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Tony - do you know it needs to be "fixed"? It certainly is a good thing to get a fluid change done - it might prevent problems in the future.
You're right, I don't know if it truly needs to be "fixed." Are most people taking these to an independent shop to get the fluid changed out or will the dealership do it? Thanks,

Tony

Quick Reply: Transfer case