Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Even Porsche-"authorized" service can't do oil changes correctly, grrrrr.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:32 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Even Porsche-"authorized" service can't do oil changes correctly, grrrrr.

In my 2012 Touareg TDI, the first two oil changes were free so I had the VW dealerships do the change. When I went to do my first oil change, because the monkey's had probably overtightened the drain plug, despite a new crush washer, then a new crush washer with a new plug, the seal was lost and I was angry.

I solved the problem by using an EcoPlug: http://ecoplugsystem.com/

Tonight I changed the oil and filter along with my cabin filter and when I took off the front skidplate, lo and behold, a weep had left oil all over the underside of the motor. Princeton NJ Porsche had stamped the maintenance book and they had also overtightened the plug so that oil had been allowed to weep out.

Now, my wife's 2015 Touareg TDI had one free oil change and thankfully, when I had gone to do the first oil change there was no leak and instead of needing to use the spare EcoPlug, I put a new crush washer on and tightened the plug the way it should be tightened.

I had to use the spare EcoPlug on the CD but at least I won't have to worry about any leaks or even needing a new crush washer even though every time I order a kit from iDParts, they send a new one with the kit. The oil change is exactly like the Touareg's so it takes me about 30 minutes to do the job and the same with the cabin filter. After reading what others have experienced with what they are paying for an oil change and cabin filter replace, I must have saved at least $200 as the LiquiMoly 4200, Mann oil and cabin filter were $122 shipped.

Rant complete.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:13 PM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting product. Does the magnetic plug every leak?
Old 03-04-2017, 02:55 PM
BigRed911
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default princeton porsche

Funny you mentioned that deakership. My wife's 2016 GTS needed a new 21" tire at 900 miles due to a nail and they mounted a new tire on the black turbo wheels leaving the sticky glue adhesive on the rim. My wife specifically requested the old adhesive be cleaned off. When she spoke to SA.
WTF? Apparently it was to much work to clean it off.

I called and complained about it. Never using them again. This was the wheel after they gave the GTS back to my wife.
​​​​​​​
Old 03-04-2017, 04:28 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jbse39
Interesting product. Does the magnetic plug every leak?
I have not had a leak using the EcoPlug, thank goodness it exists as all the other alternatives short of a new oil pan blow chow. A new oil pan is big money.

Once one has a leak, the only solution, aside from the plug, is a new oil pan. A new crush washer and plug does nothing.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:33 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BigRed911
Funny you mentioned that deakership. My wife's 2016 GTS needed a new 21" tire at 900 miles due to a nail and they mounted a new tire on the black turbo wheels leaving the sticky glue adhesive on the rim. My wife specifically requested the old adhesive be cleaned off. When she spoke to SA.
WTF? Apparently it was to much work to clean it off.

I called and complained about it. Never using them again. This was the wheel after they gave the GTS back to my wife.
​​​​​​​
Being up here in MA, I would never go to them anyway but to see their stamp in the maintenance book twice, and verified by the Carfax, then to see the drain plug leaking well, I was not happy but knew there is a solution that is quick, easy and cheap.

I could not narrow down the two dealerships that had damaged the oil drain on my Touareg but thankfully the VW dealer near me that had done my wife's 2015 TDI didn't screw it up and I didn't have to use the spare plug I had kept for just in case I needed it due to a leak.

I have never screwed up an oil drain plug in the dozens of oil changes on all my motorized toys but somehow the hacks at the dealerships can frick things up on some of the most expensive machines. Rant number two complete.

I know, cleaning the old adhesive off, it drives me crazy and would even more so if one had asked for them to spend the extra 5 minutes with a shop rag and some Goof Off or some other remover, as the wheel is off, it isn't hard.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Even Porsche-"authorized" service can't do oil changes correctly, grrrrr.