Sponsored By:

Hitch installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 01:21 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hitch installation

Well, it was bothering me paying $900 to a dealer to install the Porsche OEM hitch, and I didn't have much to do on Saturday, so I installed the hitch on my new to me 2013 Cayenne S. These are my observations.

There is an excellent video of removing the rear bumper cover in the CURT Hitch website. I would have had a much harder time without that video. Definitely view that video. Note: after removing ALL the screws, the bumper cover slides off VERY easily. If it offers any resistance, look for a couple of screws still in place. Also, the rear backup sensors in the bumper cover have ONE connector to undo. It is on the left (driver's) side. Very easy.

I would encourage anybody who is thinking about installing the OEM hitch to do it. It was an easy job (with the CURT video).

Installing the interior control module was NOT easy. Hooking up the module itself is easy (removing the BOSE module, red plug, green plug, etc.), with the use of the threads in the forums (fori?). Removing the interior trim panels was the hard part. I did it, but I think I would let the Porsche techs do it next time. Those trim panels are just hard to remove, and there is some risk of damaging them. If you are skilled at removing trim panels, then the whole job is easy, go for it. I never could find a good tutorial on how to remove them. I just bumbled my way through it. Not fun.

Still have to visit the Porsche dealership to hook up the PIWIS for the control module.

So, there you have it. The hitch half is easy. The control module half is hard.
I don't see where this is a $900 job. With knowledge and experience, it seems like a 3 hour job, 4 at the most.

Jim
Old 02-12-2017, 01:49 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Can anybody confirm 955 module installation process? I want to dump the Curt hitch because I cannot use the rear tow eyes.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:33 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueJay73
Well, it was bothering me paying $900 to a dealer to install the Porsche OEM hitch, and I didn't have much to do on Saturday, so I installed the hitch on my new to me 2013 Cayenne S. These are my observations.

There is an excellent video of removing the rear bumper cover in the CURT Hitch website. I would have had a much harder time without that video. Definitely view that video. Note: after removing ALL the screws, the bumper cover slides off VERY easily. If it offers any resistance, look for a couple of screws still in place. Also, the rear backup sensors in the bumper cover have ONE connector to undo. It is on the left (driver's) side. Very easy.

I would encourage anybody who is thinking about installing the OEM hitch to do it. It was an easy job (with the CURT video).

Installing the interior control module was NOT easy. Hooking up the module itself is easy (removing the BOSE module, red plug, green plug, etc.), with the use of the threads in the forums (fori?). Removing the interior trim panels was the hard part. I did it, but I think I would let the Porsche techs do it next time. Those trim panels are just hard to remove, and there is some risk of damaging them. If you are skilled at removing trim panels, then the whole job is easy, go for it. I never could find a good tutorial on how to remove them. I just bumbled my way through it. Not fun.

Still have to visit the Porsche dealership to hook up the PIWIS for the control module.

So, there you have it. The hitch half is easy. The control module half is hard.
I don't see where this is a $900 job. With knowledge and experience, it seems like a 3 hour job, 4 at the most.

Jim
Nice job!

Figure at a shop rate of $200/hr? 4 hours theres 800 right there, plus time, etc. and extra fees for PIWIS programming, etc....

My dealer charged me just under $600 for the complete install though. So $900 does sound a bit high to me.

I'm mechanically inclined but am paranoid about warranty issues. Figured it was better to just bite the bullet and pay, vs. do it myself and risk some random BS later on when I have an issue and they come back and tell me the hitch wasn't done 100% right or some crap. Expensive enough vehicle, I ate the install fee.

Don't tell my friends.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:02 PM
Rod Croskery
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tow eyes?

Originally Posted by Dilberto
Can anybody confirm 955 module installation process? I want to dump the Curt hitch because I cannot use the rear tow eyes.
Could you explain what you mean by the tow eyes?
Old 01-19-2018, 02:47 PM
pvgolfer
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I’m looking to purchase a 2016 Cayenne. The vehicle I’m looking at doesn’t have the Tow package, so I’ll purchase the OEM tow hitch kit from Suncoast ($1k) and have the dealer install and code it into the computer, just like Omni did (except my dealer wants $925).

In order to test that the trailer pkg is properly installed and coded, I’ll hook up with my empty trailer. What are the things I can check for to verify a proper installation/coding?:

1. Trailer brake lights and turn signals working
  2. (Electric) Brake controller working
  3. Lane Change Assist (LCA) deactivated
Do the transmission shift points change? Are there any indicators on the instrument panel that indicate towing? Are there any other things to check for when a trailer is connected?
Old 01-19-2018, 03:13 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pvgolfer
I’m looking to purchase a 2016 Cayenne. The vehicle I’m looking at doesn’t have the Tow package, so I’ll purchase the OEM tow hitch kit from Suncoast ($1k) and have the dealer install and code it into the computer, just like Omni did (except my dealer wants $925).

In order to test that the trailer pkg is properly installed and coded, I’ll hook up with my empty trailer. What are the things I can check for to verify a proper installation/coding?:
  1. Trailer brake lights and turn signals working
  2. (Electric) Brake controller working
  3. Lane Change Assist (LCA) deactivated
Do the transmission shift points change? Are there any indicators on the instrument panel that indicate towing? Are there any other things to check for when a trailer is connected?
a) yes
b) yes
c) negative - at least on mine. I have to deactivate LCA myself, otherwise it blinks constantly as it picks up the trailer behind me

Yes, the shift points change.

Other indicators? Only when there's a problem. My trailer plug has some oxidation on the connectors so sometimes when I first plug it in after it's sat for a while (like winter) the taillights won't want to work. I'll get an alert on the dash stating "trailer bulb out" or something to that effect.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:24 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Nice job!

Figure at a shop rate of $200/hr? 4 hours theres 800 right there, plus time, etc. and extra fees for PIWIS programming, etc....
I think a bodyshop may be a better option - they have more practice with panels and lower labor rate
Old 01-19-2018, 06:32 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kirill
I think a bodyshop may be a better option - they have more practice with panels and lower labor rate
Doesn't solve the PIWIS programming afterwards though.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:49 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Doesn't solve the PIWIS programming afterwards though.
Some shops may have it (or some alternative), Or can just pay dealer for programming.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:50 PM
Newegg
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I did the install in mine with the help of a friend, took under two hours. It is actually very easy. If you are a DIY guy, I say give it a shot. I took mine to the dealer and they coded the module for 75 bucks. I can't believe the charge 900 bucks for an install, total rip off. Hell, i'll do it for $450!!
Old 01-19-2018, 07:34 PM
pvgolfer
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually, $900 was my LOWEST quote for the labor part. Some dealerships were quoting $1500+.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:19 AM
projekt-h
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

The hitch install itself is really pretty easy, and there are less expensive hitch receiver options out there than the $1k Porsche one at suncoast, though those do not come with the control/module. Would anyone happen to have the part number for that? I don't see anything but the adapters and such online.

FWIW, Install DIY below - I have no idea about the light/brake control module, but do want to get one relatively soon.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...tallation.html
Old 03-03-2018, 12:20 AM
drmindbender
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The job is actually really easy, pulling the interior panels in the cargo area was the hardest part. I did have one major snag tho...I think it is specific to 957 models. I notice on the 955s the bumper without hitch receiver looks exactly like the one with the receiver; I imagine the mounting screws are M14. On my 957, the non-towing bumper is very different, a lightweight aluminum bumper...mounted using M12 screws. I followed the TSB, but the section where it says "if necessary, drill M12 holes and tap new M14 threads" was, you know, only IF necessary...so I didn't think much of it. Well, the mounting bolts screw into some hardened steel part of the frame. I could not get a drill powerful enough to drill out the existing M12 threads. So I had to put the bumper back on, and order some M12x100mm screws...which are hard to find in 12.9 grade...

I'm guessing that this has something to do with the Curt hitch receivers only being rated at 6k lbs, and I'll be keeping my towing weight down appropriately. My trailer is only 5200 GVW so I'm good for now...
Old 06-20-2018, 02:29 PM
assyrianme
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi. I installed a hitch and had to hook the wiring to the brake lights on another vehicle. On the Cayenne, what does the PIWIS programming do?

Sorry, found answer in another thread. Can't seem to delete.

Last edited by assyrianme; 06-20-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:22 PM
Goldbug74
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello people, today I had a hitch install on my 2016 Cayenne Diesel. I priced around. Dealer said they would have to get back to me with a price, but never did. I found a hitch company in Queen NY. The company is a reputable firm. They gave me the price to supply and install over the phone ($499). I agreed and went there the next day. The job took about 1:30 hrs. I didn't notice a single problem. I looked over the job and was thoroughly satisfied. That night as I was refueling,I noticed fuel dripping by the rear wheel while the fuel was pumping. I never noticed it before the hitch was installed. I called the hitch company and spoke to the owner/mechanic. He said, while installing and removing the bumper to install the hitch he doesn't go any where near the fuel fill pipe. He told me to bring it in, but doesn't believe it has anything to do with his work. Has anyone ever heard of any problem like this from having a hitch installed.

Quick Reply: Hitch installation