Sponsored By:

Turn OFF an option

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 10:04 AM
whitecayenneS
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Turn OFF an option

Does anyone know how to permanently turn OFF the Run/Stop feature? Stupid feature that I never use, but should I forget to press the Run/Stop button and drive away, the first time I come to a stop the engine turns off. Saves 1/20th of a gallon of gas a year!

There must be a way to have that feature normally OFF.

Any ideas?

I know it defaults to OFF when the trailer light outlet is connected to trailer lights. It's also OFF is you put the car into Sport Mode, but that also is a manual step each time you start the car. I'd like to figure out how to fool the car into thinking there's something being pulled, by adding a resistor or a jumper to the trailer light connection... but that's not my area of expertise.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:09 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I think it is an EPA item and it will always be on.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:29 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

No. there is no way.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:03 PM
whitecayenneS
Rennlist Member

OK so the way to do it is to fool the system into believing there's a trailer lighting system connected. All I'd need is a trailer wiring plug and the appropriate circuitry to simulate the slight electric load. I'll do more research and post back. It should be an easy fix.

BMW cars are easily Coded. Apparently Porsche are not.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:19 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have heard that the 958.1s remember the setting over restarts. I have also heard they can be coded to turn it off via PIWIS. I have no verification of either option (thank you diesel!). I have (equally unverified) heard the opposite for both on the 958.2.

There is also a company in Michigan I think that was offering a service to reprogram the button module to default Sport Mode on. I believe they were looking into start/stop too, but not positive. Unfortunately I don't remember their name or if it applied to the 958.2s. Hopefully this will jog someone else's memory better than mine.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:24 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
I have heard that the 958.1s remember the setting over restarts.
If the setting is the stop-engine "feature" - yes - it retains the setting between restarts - provided it's memorized by your key, and entered into the seat memory.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:06 PM
BKCO
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No stop/start here with the 958 6 Spd - In all seriousness, I feel your pain, start/stops can be intrusive (although I understand why they're around)

I had a Chevrolet Malibu rental the other week and it didn't even have a button/option to turn it off...

Good luck, I think you are onto something with the trailer wiring if done right.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:21 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the auto start stop should retain the setting you want if you store your settings to the key while the vehicle is running.

I'm generalizing here but basically, non-performance features can be programmed to the key. Performance/safety features like Sport Mode, stability management, and suspension settings, etc. require a conscious effort from the driver to enable/disable. I'm sure that's a legal liability issue driving the design.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:27 AM
whitecayenneS
Rennlist Member

I sent an email to Vlad at T-Design9 and he responded that they have a module for the 981/991 and are looking for a Cayenne locally (Michigan) to test and adopt the module. Once they do that it'll be offered for sale. Anyone in Michigan? vlad@t-design9.com
Old 12-20-2016, 11:29 AM
whitecayenneS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hammer911
the auto start stop should retain the setting you want if you store your settings to the key while the vehicle is running.

I'm generalizing here but basically, non-performance features can be programmed to the key. Performance/safety features like Sport Mode, stability management, and suspension settings, etc. require a conscious effort from the driver to enable/disable. I'm sure that's a legal liability issue driving the design.
I'll give that a try later this morning - fingers crossed. I love this car!
Old 12-20-2016, 01:13 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Interesting. I'll have to try re-saving the key settings with this loaner Panamera I have. Drives me crazy.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:51 PM
whitecayenneS
Rennlist Member

I just tried it on my 958.2 and it didn't save the Start/Stop or Sport Mode selections.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:34 PM
cdog533
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whitecayenneS
I sent an email to Vlad at T-Design9 and he responded that they have a module for the 981/991 and are looking for a Cayenne locally (Michigan) to test and adopt the module. Once they do that it'll be offered for sale. Anyone in Michigan? vlad@t-design9.com
I also spoke to Vlad via email. It sounds like he CAN do it, as he's done very similar switch programming for other Porsche models.

He needs a late model Cayenne for testing for about a week. Unfortunately, I can't go a week without my car and I'm pretty far away from him to start with. He's in Grand Rapids, MI. Anyone up that way with a 2015+ Cayenne?

The dealer CAN turn off many options via PIWIS II software, but the start/stop isn't one of them according to some techs. They can turn off seatbelt chimes, NAV confirmation screen, fog light-high beam restriction, etc. I've heard they can add functions such as opening the windows by holding down UNLOCK on fob, etc. Also, I know some people have had their ride height lowered 20-40mm via PIWIS.

Does anyone know the list of things that can/can't be done for sure?
Old 12-20-2016, 04:14 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I am not familiar with these newer models. Does the start/stop function use the starter battery or is there a separate one? On the newer Jags you can just disconnect the start/stop battery and it kills the functionality with no warnings or idiot lights whatsoever. It is almost like they knew the feature would be universally hated.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:09 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by cdog533
I also spoke to Vlad via email. It sounds like he CAN do it, as he's done very similar switch programming for other Porsche models.

He needs a late model Cayenne for testing for about a week. Unfortunately, I can't go a week without my car and I'm pretty far away from him to start with. He's in Grand Rapids, MI. Anyone up that way with a 2015+ Cayenne?

The dealer CAN turn off many options via PIWIS II software, but the start/stop isn't one of them according to some techs. They can turn off seatbelt chimes, NAV confirmation screen, fog light-high beam restriction, etc. I've heard they can add functions such as opening the windows by holding down UNLOCK on fob, etc. Also, I know some people have had their ride height lowered 20-40mm via PIWIS.

Does anyone know the list of things that can/can't be done for sure?
Be interesting to know - since some things Durametric Pro can change. And not only for more recent Cayennes. Someplace there was a thread about this - perhaps not here - might have been renntech back when it was an active forum.

Quick Reply: Turn OFF an option