Sponsored By:

'Crunch' sound and vibration from rear - dealer says it's normal

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 10:21 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA

Yeah, those campaigns apparently had no bearing on the PTV+ rear diff noise we’ve been discussing. They were not intended to resolve that specific issue. Again if you have those symtoms, a fluid change with the correct Porsche fluid should do the trick. It solved mine instantly and completely. I suppose if you ignored it long enoough the worn out fluid (friction modifier) could eventually lead to actual mechanical damage, in which case you’re then beyond the point that fresh fluid would fix it. So if yours is “crunching”, I’d recommend getting that fluid changed ASAP. Best of luck with it!
Will do, and will report back for the knowledge of all. Thx again!
Old 07-10-2018, 10:07 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Hmmm I did a fluid change when I first got the car. The fluid that came out looked old and original, but I replaced it with Swepco (which works great in my other LSD rear diff applications) and still have the noises but not quite as bad. I've sort of gotten used to it.

I'll pony up the money for the "correct" fluid and give it a shot.

Thanks for the update.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:10 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Please do report back after you change to OEM fluid, would love to hear your feedback too.
When it comes to fancy diffs like this, it's always a good idea to run the OEM-specified fluid vs something that is usually higher performance in other applications(Swepco, Redline, Total, etc). The Porsche engineers probably spent a great deal of time working with Pentosin or whoever is the OEM manufacturer, to get the correct lubricity and friction modifiers and such for the PTV+.

PS--Sea Beef is iconic with my friend and I. Glad to see you here! Here are a few shots of his Sea Beef action (why we need to change the rear diff fluid in both of ours before we go exploring again);

Old 07-10-2018, 12:45 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Oh man so great to see a 958TT getting it too. I haven't investigated how to wire up the winch (I see you have the forklift connector just hanging out) on the 958 yet. As infrequently as it's used, I seriously am considering just having a spare 12V battery with a connector that I bring along. Is that what you're doing? Or just hooking up jumper cables when you need it?

I do love my PCCBs...but really hating the inability to fit smaller than 20" wheels. What tires are you running Jeremy?
Old 07-10-2018, 01:28 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Oh man so great to see a 958TT getting it too. I haven't investigated how to wire up the winch (I see you have the forklift connector just hanging out) on the 958 yet. As infrequently as it's used, I seriously am considering just having a spare 12V battery with a connector that I bring along. Is that what you're doing? Or just hooking up jumper cables when you need it?

I do love my PCCBs...but really hating the inability to fit smaller than 20" wheels. What tires are you running Jeremy?
We have an Anderson connector pigtail wiring loom coming out of the LF seat battery box, and that loom is neatly wound up and stored in the LR footwell. Then a separate long Anderson connector wiring loom from it to rear winch when needed.
Yeah, a spare AGM setup would work. If you want to be elegant, you could use something like the National Luna products new Aux battery box; https://www.equipt1.com/collections/...ry-battery-box
(I'd used their Portable Power Pack/dual battery system(https://www.equipt1.com/collections/battery-systems-1/products/portable-power-pack) for years to power the Nat'l Luna fridge/freezer in my old G, and been very happy with it; https://expeditionportal.com/feature...williams-g500/)

255/55R19 Goodyear Duratrac's on 19x8.5 Special Edition WX5 et50's. Wheels are inexpensive and appear to be pretty strong, and they juuuuuust barely clear the calipers.
You must have the 410mm(16.1") front rotors? HUGE!

Looking forward to getting the rear diff fluid change and reporting back.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:34 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Update on "crunch" sound/vibrations from my '12 CayenneTurbo. We changed the rear diff and front diff fluid with OEM (part numbers listed above). Crunching/thumping has heavily reduced, but it's still barely audible/felt when turning left from a stoplight, going up a very slight incline in the road thru the intersection.
Both fluids were very dark, but thankfully no metal/debris.

Vehicle has 56k. Time to do a tranny service soon.

PS--installed the Hanksville HotRods SR1 rear muffler and their 4" tips. Review to come on a different thread. Love the sound, but...…….
Old 08-14-2018, 04:16 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremy@matrix
Update on "crunch" sound/vibrations from my '12 CayenneTurbo. We changed the rear diff and front diff fluid with OEM (part numbers listed above). Crunching/thumping has heavily reduced, but it's still barely audible/felt when turning left from a stoplight, going up a very slight incline in the road thru the intersection.
If it's barely detectable right after the new fluid, give it another day or two and it may quiet down completely. Please keep us updated.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:38 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

If it's barely detectable right after the new fluid, give it another day or two and it may quiet down completely. Please keep us updated.
Copy that, will do!
Old 08-17-2018, 08:40 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Update; after a few days of driving, at least currently with the same warmer/hot temps we've been having, the sound from the LR has subsided and is no longer audible. Awesome!
If this changes I'll update here.
Thanks again all!
Old 08-17-2018, 08:59 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Update; after a few days of driving, at least currently with the same warmer/hot temps we've been having, the sound from the LR has subsided and is no longer audible. Awesome!
If this changes I'll update here.
Thanks again all!
Excellent! Hope it stays that way.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:35 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Excellent! Hope it stays that way.
My one left turn from a stop in the morning; noise/feeling is still there. Otherwise, all other times have quieted down/gone away. All in all, MUCH improved with the rear diff fluid change(to OEM Porsche).
Old 09-07-2018, 05:55 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Further update; within a few weeks of changing front and rear diff fluids with factory fluid (for PTV rear), I was noticing that my transmission seemed to be shifting a bit differently, seemed to hunt a bit more between gears, downshift under braking different than before. Not tranny slip, but noticeably different. Since I was getting close to 60k it was time for a transmission fluid/filter/gasket service (and the transfer case fluid too). Got that done, technician said both fluids were pretty nasty even at 58k. Driving now, it's better than ever; very smooth shifts, no hunting, no downshifting oddities. Glad to have it done, but DANG that factory Porsche ATF fluid is spendyyyyyyyy!

PS--looked in my owner's manual as I thought tranny service was recommended at 100k, if not earlier. VERY surprised, and very disappointed in Porsche, to find it's recommended at 160k(along with F&R diffs, t-case--although no Turbo mentioned which is odd)!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE HECK?! For a heavy Cayenne SUV, which might haul heavier gear, go offroad, tow heavier things? I smell something fishy...….

Last edited by jeremy@matrix; 09-07-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:13 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

PS--I got lots of chuckles over a PM sent to me by another Cayenne owner, in SoCal;"I’ve actually spoken to the two largest Porsche dealers in this area of Southern California and both hesitated to touch the transmission fluid yet. The first said they always have to warn clients that replacing the fluid could loosen varnish inside the transmission and cause plugging up of the small oil chambers which essentially means a failed transmission...he also said they only do it at 160,000 miles. This argument is absolute nonsense. It seems like changing the oil at a much sooner interval would avoid this potential issue.

The second dealer says they don’t like to touch the transmission oil under normal conditions until Porsche’s recommended maintenance interval (which the service manager said was 100,000 miles) because of the potential risk of blowing seals after the new oil goes in."

So, I'm curious; what are other Porsche dealers around the country recommending for preventative tranny service mileage??
Old 09-07-2018, 10:54 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

PS--I got lots of chuckles over a PM sent to me by another Cayenne owner, in SoCal;"I’ve actually spoken to the two largest Porsche dealers in this area of Southern California and both hesitated to touch the transmission fluid yet. The first said they always have to warn clients that replacing the fluid could loosen varnish inside the transmission and cause plugging up of the small oil chambers which essentially means a failed transmission...he also said they only do it at 160,000 miles. This argument is absolute nonsense. It seems like changing the oil at a much sooner interval would avoid this potential issue.

The second dealer says they don’t like to touch the transmission oil under normal conditions until Porsche’s recommended maintenance interval (which the service manager said was 100,000 miles) because of the potential risk of blowing seals after the new oil goes in."

So, I'm curious; what are other Porsche dealers around the country recommending for preventative tranny service mileage??
You are right! Service writers will say lots of oddball things whether it is from their prior experience which is often unrelated to the specific vehicle, or they recite something out of hot air since they have no actual experience. Either way it's a disservice to the brand. Your example above supports that point.

Unless someone does an oil analysis on a car with a known "regular" history (which AISIN probably has done to determine that service interval), there's no objective way to know what interval is best. In my opinion, if you off-road, or tow, or have gotten the transmission fluid temperature warnings doing either of those things, changing before 160K is worth doing if you have a keeper Cayenne that you love.

To answer your question: my So. Cal dealer and shop foreman agreed that 100K is a good mileage to change the tranny fluid if you tow or off-road. But again, that's just an opinion with no evidence behind it. They'd be happy to accept $$ for an out of warranty service item!
Old 09-07-2018, 11:31 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Originally Posted by garrett376
You are right! Service writers will say lots of oddball things whether it is from their prior experience which is often unrelated to the specific vehicle, or they recite something out of hot air since they have no actual experience. Either way it's a disservice to the brand. Your example above supports that point.

Unless someone does an oil analysis on a car with a known "regular" history (which AISIN probably has done to determine that service interval), there's no objective way to know what interval is best. In my opinion, if you off-road, or tow, or have gotten the transmission fluid temperature warnings doing either of those things, changing before 160K is worth doing if you have a keeper Cayenne that you love.

To answer your question: my So. Cal dealer and shop foreman agreed that 100K is a good mileage to change the tranny fluid if you tow or off-road. But again, that's just an opinion with no evidence behind it. They'd be happy to accept $$ for an out of warranty service item!
Thanks for your info Garrett. Good to hear at least 1 SoCal dealership is recommending 100k, vs saying there are downsides to servicing before Porsche's 160k.

Quick Reply: 'Crunch' sound and vibration from rear - dealer says it's normal