Sponsored By:

'Crunch' sound and vibration from rear - dealer says it's normal

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 01:54 PM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by termite01
...the service manager determined that it needs a new transfer case [!]. Although the one that was in there had less than 500 miles on it, Porsche is putting yet another transfer case in under warranty....
wow. Please update when you get the truck back. Two transfer cases is astonishing. I'm going to have my brakes done next month by my indy mechanic; I'll have him change the diff fluid also and see if it makes any difference.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:04 PM
termite01
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Just got the update...no surprise but the new transfer case solved nothing. Dealer is back at it and the car is CPO, so it might be awhile yet.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:27 AM
MountainStone
Instructor

Two transfer cases and no improvement. Why did two separate dealers both think the transfer case was the source of the issue? Hopefully they swap the diff and that solves the problem (or does the new fluid added during the diff swap actually solve the problem temporarily). Glad you have a CPO to cover you. Hopefully they gave you a decent loaner while you are waiting. Please update us when you learn more.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:16 PM
termite01
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Latest update....dealer decided that it was the differential (and that I was right all along). New diff put in, four wheel alignment and presto, no more vibration. The CPO covered over $10k in repairs, about half of which was actually needed. BTW, the change in fluid on the original diff did nothing.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:22 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by termite01
Latest update....dealer decided that it was the differential (and that I was right all along). New diff put in, four wheel alignment and presto, no more vibration. The CPO covered over $10k in repairs, about half of which was actually needed. BTW, the change in fluid on the original diff did nothing.
Sounds good. Please keep us updated if you can. I've read where others have had the diff replaced but the noise ultimately returned as the new diff 'broke-in' and accumulated some mileage.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:51 AM
MountainStone
Instructor

Thanks for updating. Glad the noise is gone and hopefully the fix is permanent. Does the paperwork from the dealer indicate what exactly was replaced? Thanks again.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:52 AM
TRM04
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So what is the recommended diff fluid oil for the rear on a CTT with PTV+ and also the recommended oil for the front diff?
Old 05-13-2018, 07:08 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRM04
So what is the recommended diff fluid oil for the rear on a CTT with PTV+ and also the recommended oil for the front diff?
This forum thread should help you...... https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ferential.html
Old 05-13-2018, 02:22 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,735 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Just to add to this thread. What I originally thought was my transfer case turned out to be my front dif, which was replaced under warranty CPO, and all is fixed.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:48 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Just an FYI here from Oregon; friend and I have '12 CayenneTurbo's, both with PTV Plus and PDCC(for the record we don't think PDCC is involved in this noise issue). One CTT has ~89k, the other ~57k(57k truck is louder actually).....same symptoms; thudding/shuddering felt, mainly on slight left hand turn from a stoplight. Replicates itself daily at the same stoplights. Some days it might be quieter. It's FAR worse when driving up a steep uphill and turning sharply left to make an immediate U-turn. During this U-turn, one can hear/feel a loud friction sound from the LR. This sounds to us like the LR brake caliper is applying in order to allow the vehicle to turn sharper on itself(PTV+ is also providing more torque to the RR tire to spin the vehicle around quicker?). Which would follow suit in how PTV+ is supposed to work; https://www.porsche.com/middle-east/...plus-ptv-plus/

Would be interested to understand why there is usually no thudding/shuddering when turning right. Perhaps something to do with the length of the LR vs RR axles? The algorithms in Porsche control units are pretty tight lipped it seems.

No other issues noted, besides the annoying noises, which we've all learned to live with.

All in all, I assume these rigs had no noises when brand new? I can't believe Porsche would ok the PTV+ system to have such noises; "Buy a $150k rig, and you get free thudding noises!"

PS--very interesting to see CarGuyNVA have 3 repairs done, and the noise is still present.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post13813343
Old 07-09-2018, 08:42 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,735 Likes on 1,637 Posts

My Porsche Tech told me that these cars (All Porsches) start out quiet then develop noises and creaks over their life which they can't do anything about. It's a Porsche, drives like a bat out of hell and you'll just have to live with the little noises that it produces.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:56 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
My Porsche Tech told me that these cars (All Porsches) start out quiet then develop noises and creaks over their life which they can't do anything about. It's a Porsche, drives like a bat out of hell and you'll just have to live with the little noises that it produces.
Hehe, while I agree with him on creaks(especially from interior plastic), this rear end sound doesn't fall anywhere near this category.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:29 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by jeremy@matrix
No other issues noted, besides the annoying noises, which we've all learned to live with.

All in all, I assume these rigs had no noises when brand new? I can't believe Porsche would ok the PTV+ system to have such noises; "Buy a $150k rig, and you get free thudding noises!"

PS--very interesting to see CarGuyNVA have 3 repairs done, and the noise is still present.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post13813343
Greetings, CarGuyNVA here.....so let’s clarify this whole business. If you read my latest postings on this topic (in various threads), the specific problem with the PTV+ rear diff “crunch” noise was completely resolved, with only one service visit for that problem. A fluid change with the correct Porsche fluid specified for the PTV+ locking rear diff completely eliminated the noise/symptom. At the time I traded it on my Macan GTS 3 weeks ago, the PTV+ diff was still perfectly smooth and silent. Case closed.

As for the reference above to “3 repairs done, and the noise is still present”, that is just not accurate. What actually occurred was 2 transfer case replacements (which originally was thought to be related to the rear diff “crunch” here in the forum...but turns out it’s not). The 3rd service was when I had the fluid replaced in the rear diff related specifically to that problem. I never took it in for 3 service visits related to the PTV+ diff. Again the other 2 service visits were for transfer case replacements, having nothing to do with the PTV+ diff noise.

Hope that clarifies things.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:57 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA

Greetings, CarGuyNVA here.....so let’s clarify this whole business. If you read my latest postings on this topic (in various threads), the specific problem with the PTV+ rear diff “crunch” noise was completely resolved, with only one service visit for that problem. A fluid change with the correct Porsche fluid specified for the PTV+ locking rear diff completely eliminated the noise/symptom. At the time I traded it on my Macan GTS 3 weeks ago, the PTV+ diff was still perfectly smooth and silent. Case closed.

As for the reference above to “3 repairs done, and the noise is still present”, that is just not accurate. What actually occurred was 2 transfer case replacements (which originally was thought to be related to the rear diff “crunch” here in the forum...but turns out it’s not). The 3rd service was when I had the fluid replaced in the rear diff related specifically to that problem. I never took it in for 3 service visits related to the PTV+ diff. Again the other 2 service visits were for transfer case replacements, having nothing to do with the PTV+ diff noise.

Hope that clarifies things.
Thanks for clarifying CarGuyNVA.

Regarding 3 repairs done(I should have used the word operations, as 2 of them were reprogramming, not actual parts replacements/repairs), I was referencing the info you provided in post 23 above(12/14/16)--underlined/bolded below;
"Okay, I checked the dealer service records for my CTT and mine has had it all done....the ATI 3965 for transfer case replacement, the WC26 for 'recall - reprogrammed 4 wheel drive', and the WD-31 'reprogrammed rear diff control unit'.
And just like other owners in the thread from another forum I provided a link to earlier today, mine still makes the noise occasionally on slow tight left turns. It seems that more frequent rear diff fluid changes with the approved fluid keeps the symptom mostly under control, again as mentioned in the other thread. Even those that had their rear diffs completely replaced, the noise eventually returned (probably as the fluid aged?). It makes sense to me because as I've mentioned before, other vehicles I've owned with LSD/locking diff units have sometimes exhibited a similar condition which was often tamed with a fluid change using the correct fluid with the additive to specifically quiet and smooth operation of the LSD clutch packs. These additives do wear out. Something very similar going on here with the PTV setup I believe. Nature of the beast? I'll just have my dealer change the rear diff fluid next time I go in for an oil change."

I was under the impression this was still unresolved, as I hadn't clicked on your post #38 link yet. But now I see that your noise has been fixed with a rear diff fluid change using OEM Porsche fluid;

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ferential.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post15006017

Very glad to hear, and thanks very much for the info! We'll report back on our noises...
Old 07-09-2018, 10:18 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by jeremy@matrix
Thanks for clarifying CarGuyNVA.

Regarding 3 repairs done(I should have used the word operations, as 2 of them were reprogramming, not actual parts replacements/repairs), I was referencing the info you provided in post 23 above(12/14/16)--underlined/bolded below;
"Okay, I checked the dealer service records for my CTT and mine has had it all done....the ATI 3965 for transfer case replacement, the WC26 for 'recall - reprogrammed 4 wheel drive', and the WD-31 'reprogrammed rear diff control unit'.
And just like other owners in the thread from another forum I provided a link to earlier today, mine still makes the noise occasionally on slow tight left turns. It seems that more frequent rear diff fluid changes with the approved fluid keeps the symptom mostly under control, again as mentioned in the other thread. Even those that had their rear diffs completely replaced, the noise eventually returned (probably as the fluid aged?). It makes sense to me because as I've mentioned before, other vehicles I've owned with LSD/locking diff units have sometimes exhibited a similar condition which was often tamed with a fluid change using the correct fluid with the additive to specifically quiet and smooth operation of the LSD clutch packs. These additives do wear out. Something very similar going on here with the PTV setup I believe. Nature of the beast? I'll just have my dealer change the rear diff fluid next time I go in for an oil change."

I was under the impression this was still unresolved, as I hadn't clicked on your post #38 link yet. But now I see that your noise has been fixed with a rear diff fluid change using OEM Porsche fluid;

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ferential.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post15006017

Very glad to hear, and thanks very much for the info! We'll report back on our noises...
Yeah, those campaigns apparently had no bearing on the PTV+ rear diff noise we’ve been discussing. They were not intended to resolve that specific issue. Again if you have those symtoms, a fluid change with the correct Porsche fluid should do the trick. It solved mine instantly and completely. I suppose if you ignored it long enoough the worn out fluid (friction modifier) could eventually lead to actual mechanical damage, in which case you’re then beyond the point that fresh fluid would fix it. So if yours is “crunching”, I’d recommend getting that fluid changed ASAP. Best of luck with it!

Quick Reply: 'Crunch' sound and vibration from rear - dealer says it's normal