Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Jerky Shifting into 3rd and 4th Gear in my 2012 Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 01:04 PM
runner1505
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of you that had the TC replaced or fluid changed, did you notice the jerking come back after an x amount of miles? My TC was replaced 2-3k miles ago and the jerking under maintenance throttle is back in 3rd and 4th gear.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:06 PM
Versace
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a rough shift from 3rd to 4th gear on light/maintenance throttle, but very smooth at moderate or even full throttle. TC is okay, fluid changed...
Otherwise smooth as butter!
The following users liked this post:
Martinsweden2 (08-24-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 06:01 AM
Martinsweden2
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Versace
I have a rough shift from 3rd to 4th gear on light/maintenance throttle, but very smooth at moderate or even full throttle. TC is okay, fluid changed...
Otherwise smooth as butter!

Hi!

My car is EXACTLY the same. Have changed the transfer case fluid but problem still there. Have you found a solution?
Old 01-05-2023, 05:52 PM
AAbouganem
5th Gear

Default Same problem with Cayenne 2013 Turbo

I have noticed this identical problem. Jerky shifting from 2nd to 3rd and to 4th when in full auto mode, but when manually shifting with the paddles there is no jerk.

I am now in Middle East and competency of technicians is not great. I will book an appointment next week and will describe also what I meant on this forum.

if any conclusive experience or answer was found please let me know.

Regards

Originally Posted by mlct
Interesting my 2011 Turbo has been in the shop for a few days to have them look at a rough 3rd to 4th shift. I only happens when I am on maintenance throttle around town and it shifts up at around 30mph. if I manually shift it around that speed it is smooth as it is when I am under full throttle, though that shift is obviously at a higher speed.

They replaced the transfer case but it didn't fix the issue so are thinking about it. I have read onine that the valve body might cause this. Hopefully I will find out soon about it. Might just keep the new transfer case as I am told it will likely go eventually.

This ring any bells with anyone. It was a CPO which just went out of warranty, of course, at 6 years in October. Now at 80k and I have been towing tracks cars first on an open and now an enclosed aluminium trailer
Old 01-05-2023, 05:54 PM
Versace
Intermediate

How many kilometers on the clock?
Old 01-06-2023, 12:35 AM
AAbouganem
5th Gear

Top of my head 65000Km. I just drove yesterday and looked at the odometer, but today I am working elsewhere with no car. I will confirm later when I return.

I bought it with 39000Km back in Feb 2019. The low mileage is because it is a 2013 model but was not on the road until late 2015. Is one of those leftover cars from the dealer that didn’t get sold at the time. The first owner only drove in the city. I also only drive on the city with occasional road trip 80km long (it’s a small city Doha) but during pandemic didn’t drive at all and I now walk to work so really is little driving done.

This mileage is not likely to increase more than a couple hundred Km per month. And depends if I can fix it with software updates or oil change or valve body (as per this forum) then ill keep the car but I won’t pay for a new transfer case and would sell the car instead.

When I lived in Houston, USA, i has a 2008 Cayenne S, and had 160000 miles and I did not have any issue, only followed the scheduled maintenance. I sold it to a friend and still runs without issues. I am a bit disappointed with this particular problem as seems difficult to troubleshoot the exact cause. A friend of mine had to change the transfer case of his 2016 under warranty too so seems to be more common that it should.

Originally Posted by Versace
How many kilometers on the clock?
Old 01-08-2023, 02:08 AM
AAbouganem
5th Gear

Default Will change TC under warranty

76000km on the clock

Today the dealer test drive and confirmed the TC jerkiness. They will repair under a special warranty that I was not aware, 10yr for the TC and I am 6 months from that.

I’ll post the conclusions
Old 01-09-2023, 05:03 PM
Versace
Intermediate

I have just had my Valve body replaced with a brand new unit. It did not cure the 3-4 hard shift. It is doing the same as before...
Old 01-10-2023, 12:05 PM
AAbouganem
5th Gear

TC was replaced and jerkiness went away.
I see in this thread that has come back after some time. I’ll monitor the mileage and report if it comes back.

Originally Posted by AAbouganem
76000km on the clock

Today the dealer test drive and confirmed the TC jerkiness. They will repair under a special warranty that I was not aware, 10yr for the TC and I am 6 months from that.

I’ll post the conclusions
Old 06-22-2023, 11:06 AM
jackey6621
2nd Gear

Default Solved

It’s the throttle body. Adapt your throttle body with the throttle body adaptation procedure(key out, step gas all the way, key in, turn to ACC, wait 20second, slowly release gas, key off and out, wait 5 second, turn car back on). If that does not fix it, buy a used throttle body from ebay or a new one for 150$.

Quick Reply: Jerky Shifting into 3rd and 4th Gear in my 2012 Cayenne S