Sponsored By:

958 Jacking Points

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 09:18 AM
CdnRD
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 958 Jacking Points

I have a 2012 base and it's time to change over my wheels for winter. In the past I've used the jack that comes with the car but it's slipped out from under the car twice (smooth garage floor). Are there alternative jacking points for a floor jack? I can't seem to find anything online.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:30 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Be safe/smart and buy a proper floor jack. Sears, Harbor Freight, or Pepboys has adequate jacks for about $100. I don't know if you have a torque wrench for the lugs, but tightening them to spec is important too. Those are available at the same stores.

The toolkit and jack are not intended for regular use. Just roadside emergencies.

You don't want this vehicle to fall on you .... or the wheels to fall off.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:22 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

There are jacking points fore and aft. I use an item like a hockey puck to place between the car and the floor jack. I am assuming these are the same points that one uses with the portable jack that is in the back storage area. I have never used that jack.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:30 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts

Agreed, best to use an actual floor jack not the emergency one supplied with the vehicle. This is good advice for any vehicle. Don't forget to use at least one wheel chock to reduce rolling risks.

Any time you lift a vehicle to remove a wheel, always have one under the frame. That way if anything slips the wheel will catch it and leave enough room to get a jack back under there again.

If you're going to purchase something, look for a compact floor trolley jack. I've got two of the full sized kind and they're way more than necessary for just tire changes. When I last used Tirerack.com the field installer they sent out had a really nice, small jack that a lot less trouble to use. I didn't get the brand name, unfortunately.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:18 PM
CdnRD
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a floor jack. The issue I have is that the jacking points are flush with the rocker panel. The jack that comes with the car has a part that fits into a socket in the jacking point. It looks like a floor jack could do some damage, even with a puck. On my 2004 Cayenne I could use the floor jack on the suspension mounting points that were considered alternate jacking points. Just wondering if there were similar points on the 958.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:15 PM
pastorom
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Re-opening this thread because i'd like to know the answer to this too. I have a 2011 CTT, and i'm planning on doing my fluid changes this weekend, so want to jack the car up. On my 2004 CTT i would jack the whole front up using the front cross member, then slip the front two jack stands in, and then jack the rear up using the subframe mount and slip the rear jacks in. What is the procedure for the 958? Neither the manual nor the WSM are helpful in this case because they always assume all you want to do it change tires, and not place the car on jack stands.

I'm having a little trouble trying to figure out where the jack should go and where the jack stands should. I could presumably use the emergency jack points for my jack stands after jacking the car up, but again, where should i be jacking the car up?
Old 03-16-2017, 10:26 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

I seem to recall on my '11 CTT - the owners manual shows pairs of lift points. One on the outer sill for the jack position, and one just in from that for a hydraulic lift. I think I'd look for an adaptor for my hydraulic jack that fit on the sill position, lift there and put the jackstand in where the lift-jacking position is.

That's of course assuming you don't fit under it when the air suspension is all the way up? DAMHIK, but it's easy to forget that it's capable of this (which gives almost 10-12" of clearance under the vehicle, even my fat gut fits under it.)
Old 03-17-2017, 12:30 AM
pastorom
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, I'll give this a shot on the weekend. It'll involve using the hydraulic jack at each corner, rather than the 2 times i was hoping, but it's better than nothing.

And i agree with you about the air suspension high setting - i can get in there with a creeper fairly easily, but i tend to get a little claustrophobic with the underside of the car right above me, and i find that an extra 6 - 8 inches which my jack stands give me makes it that much more comfortable to work on the care.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:20 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
That's of course assuming you don't fit under it when the air suspension is all the way up? DAMHIK, but it's easy to forget that it's capable of this (which gives almost 10-12" of clearance under the vehicle, even my fat gut fits under it.)
Mine too...!

Cheers,
TomF
Old 03-17-2017, 03:29 AM
chiapet15
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I usually raise the air suspension to the highest setting and then put one of these with a hockey puck on top at each of the factory lift points. It's great because I can lift the car and have it be safely supported at one point.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...ulic-jack.html
Old 03-17-2017, 04:55 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

If one needs to get under their vehicle with no need to have to remove the wheels, say, for an oil change, make a set of ramps like these:

Name:  P1000510.jpg
Views: 10124
Size:  223.1 KB

Three 2x10's. Simple and safe. I used them to change the oil in my CD a week ago. The image only shows 2-2x10's but I had added another 2x10 when I got a Touareg and needed more space under the truck. All I needed to do on the cars was access the oil drain bolt which was easy with the 4" or so of lift from the 2 2x10's.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:59 PM
schwarz633
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a BendPak MD-6XP mid-rise lift that I'd like to get my newly acquired 2014 CD up on. I took a look under there and as CdnRD mentioned earlier in this thread the recessed sockets for the factory jack don't seem to be appropriate for a floor jack or lift. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which suspension or body/frame points would be used by the dealer?

Anyone have any experience with these jack pads:

https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com...d_JackPad.html

Last edited by schwarz633; 08-06-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:35 PM
hammerdog
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought two of these jack pads from the same seller. They work great on a floor jack and fit into the recessed jack points on my 2014 Porsche Cayenne.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:25 PM
schwarz633
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hammerdog
I bought two of these jack pads from the same seller. They work great on a floor jack and fit into the recessed jack points on my 2014 Porsche Cayenne.
Do you think using 4 of them on the lift arms would be a viable plan? Is the weight of the vehicle carried by the rectangular portion of the pad, with a space between the round lower part and the rocker?
Old 08-06-2018, 07:24 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

For those of you with air suspension, I highly recommend that you disable the system before you raise the car with a floor jack It's in the owner's manual. Or, IIRC it's hold the level control "up" (or down?) for 10 seconds, release and you'll see red blinky lights and a message on the dash saying it's been disabled. You can do a lot of damage if you don't disable.

And, hockey pucks work like a charm between the cradle of your floor jack and the jack points.
The following users liked this post:
lml999 (11-01-2021)

Quick Reply: 958 Jacking Points