Sponsored By:

DIY - 958.1 Taillight Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 02:05 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts
Default DIY - 958.1 Taillight Swap?

I recently came across an incredible deal for a complete set of the tinted Porsche GTS taillight assemblies from a 9k mile USA-spec 2014 GTS being swapped out and equipped with Euro-spec light assemblies to be shipped to Europe. The GTS taillights are the same (same part #) as the tinted assemblies available from the Porsche Tequipment division.

So my Porsche dealer can install them for $135 which I've already made the appointment for, but then I got to wondering how easy this is DIY. I know the interior tailgate panel trim needs to come off in order to install the inboard lights attached to the tailgate.

I did some searches here and elsewhere and surprisingly found very little info on making this swap/install.

Does anyone here have experience or information on doing this? Seems quite simple but just want to make sure there's no unexpected surprise steps or anything, and just looking for a general set of directions and tips to make this swap.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:40 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

There is some info over on 6spd. Here is a post in one thread which is followed by another with pics.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...ml#post4291520
Old 10-22-2016, 04:29 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Thanks gnat, much appreciated.

Anyone else?
Old 10-22-2016, 07:54 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

The outward lights come out easily: pull off the cover panel by pushing them in the direction towards the front of the car about 2mm to unhook the rearmost part, and once unhooked, the front-most part of that cover panel can be slide out of its mounts and the entire cover panel removed. Then there are 2 torx screws visible to remove, then pull straight backwards on the entire tail light piece to unpop the retaining ball on the front of the tail light. The electrical plug requires using a small screwdriver or hook to lift the very thin and delicate internal latching flap up, to slide off the plug. The flap is accessed at the tail-light side of the plug, not the wire side, if that makes sense. The "inner" tail lights require the removal of the tail gate trim I believe... I haven't gotten to that part just yet - I have an intermittently bad left rear tail light - frustrating that when the blinker light goes, it's a $400 fix. Gone are the days of replacing a $5 light bulb.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:46 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Thanks garrett376, that explanation of the outer lamp removal is very helpful.

If you get to the inner lights, I'd be interested to hear any additional tips on the inner panel removal.

My new light set hasn't arrived yet so I'm still in the info gathering mode to decide if I'm going to tackle it myself or have my Porsche dealer do it.

Quick Reply: DIY - 958.1 Taillight Swap?