Sponsored By:

2013 Cayenne - Replace PCM with Aftermarket Double Din Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 07:28 PM
shundy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Cayenne - Replace PCM with Aftermarket Double Din Navigation

I'm wondering if anyone out there has managed to successfully replace the built-in PCM navigation system with an aftermarket double-din unit in a 2013 Cayenne. I'm looking to replace the whole system, but I'm only finding dash kits for up to 2010 and none for the 2011-2014 models. The only one I've been able to find on paper is this one:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK958DD.html

It looks like it would only replace the screen portion, but in reality, all of the buttons/***** below the screen (see below) need to be replaced as well and this doesn't look like it would do it. Also, I'm HOPING there's another kit out there that would actually give me some storage under the unit as I currently have no place to put my cell phone (except in the cup holder) while I'm driving (I have many reasons for not wanting to keep my phone in my pocket, so please, no lectures about texting and driving).

Anyone have any experience with this? Money is not an object here. I just want to get the best possible solution in place that looks as clean as I can possibly make it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-29-2016, 12:33 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

This would probably get a better response in the Cayenne or Audio/Video sub forums.

As far as the PCM replacement in your 2013 Cayenne, there are no aftermarket solutions available for adapting the fitment(at least none that I'm aware of). You're best bet is to contract a skilled aftermarket shop with experience in custom fabrication. We do this type of work in a fair amount of European platforms, but unless your in the Pacific Northwest or willing to ship the car, we wouldn't be able to help.

Might I ask, what's your main motivation for replacing the PCM?
Old 03-29-2016, 09:19 PM
shundy
2nd Gear

My last car had an Android OS-based head unit and it just has a lot more features than the PCM does. Waze is the most important one, but I also had voice-activated music selection and navigation, which was pretty great. Unfortunately, I find that most built-in navigation units are about 5 years behind the times in terms of technology.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:57 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's unfortunate but you're right. The OEM systems are typically a few years behind. They want the aftermarket side to work out all of the bugs and glitches before they build tens of thousands of cars with a glitchy technology.

Also unfortunate is that you'll need a true expert to integrate anything in the Cayenne. I have a lot of good contacts across the US — PM me if you'd like a referral.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:40 PM
Ron1319
AutoX

Default Install kit?

How about this option? I don’t have any functionality in my non-nav head unit that I care about retaining. If I could put the same Pioneer unit in the Cayenne as I have in my 996, and maybe replace door speakers and add a sub, it could sound really good for around a couple thousand dollars.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:54 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Hmmm.. Suncoast link = "Not Found".. thing is - the PCM isn't just PCM, it has the layers of menus needed to do settings on the car. Not all of those are duplicated in the dash display panel - and I'm not sure, but I believe the "smarts" for them are part of the PCM system. The 955/957 PCM 2 and 2.1 were pretty much stand alone bits of hardware, no tight integration to the rest of the vehicle except the optical link that connects all the devices like the amplifiers, subwoofer, CD player. It appears rather easy to do this sort of conversion on the older Cayennes.

My WAG is that's why there are no plug-play solutions for the 3.1 and up series of PCMs. People have asked about putting the PCM-4 hardware in place of the 3.1 - but I don't know of anyone who has done it. The PCM-4 hardware can use Android AUTO display (replicates the screen of an external Android device) and Apple CarPlay..

There are solutions for the 3.1 system that add an interface to an external Android box - by hijacking the video drive circuit. It's switchable between the Android screen and the stock PCM screen. It requires some rather major disassembly of the PCM to add, and if you have satellite radio, it may require killing that (the interface takes up the space the XM radio stuff used inside the PCM.) A bit of poking around here should turn that up.. with that setup you could use Google Maps and Waze..
Old 04-15-2018, 06:44 PM
Ron1319
AutoX

Default Yeah the link didn’t work..

The thing is I can’t find any functions in my pcm that aren’t in the dash. I don’t have parking sensors or backup camera or nav. All of the car settings are in the dash, I think.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:15 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron1319
The thing is I can’t find any functions in my pcm that aren’t in the dash. I don’t have parking sensors or backup camera or nav. All of the car settings are in the dash, I think.
The display to the right of the tach is powered by the PCM/CDR. Therein lies the problem.

Best bet is to get the CarPlay upgrade board, and run everything off that (with a dedicated device, if need be - even an older iPhone runs CarPlay very smoothly). (This is coming from a die-hard Android guy - CarPlay is just better in several aspects.)
Old 04-16-2018, 10:48 PM
Ron1319
AutoX

I use an iPhone X as my primary phone. They're saying the Chinese CarPlay board isn't Apple approved and could be patched out by Apple. Is there an official board that works in this unit?
Old 04-16-2018, 11:23 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron1319
I use an iPhone X as my primary phone. They're saying the Chinese CarPlay board isn't Apple approved and could be patched out by Apple. Is there an official board that works in this unit?
Who is this "They're" you're talking to?

And isn't CarPlay run on the phone and just communicates with the CarPlay Board? What would make a board "official"? The new PCM comes with CarPlay I believe - maybe you could just install one of those.. probably around $5k though.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:27 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
And isn't CarPlay run on the phone and just communicates with the CarPlay Board? What would make a board "official"? The new PCM comes with CarPlay I believe - maybe you could just install one of those.. probably around $5k though.
I could see something like that, along the lines of the "not approved for iPhone" crap messages you get with an unlicensed accessory. Gotta love Apple and their closed ecosystem! Gotta roll the dice!

Another consideration in retrofitting PCM4.x is that AFAIK, it uses the newer MOST150 bus and not the MOST25 of the PCM3.x era. IF all the other connectors were the same, and IF the amp fits in the same location, at least the MOST connectors are the same
Old 04-17-2018, 03:44 PM
Ron1319
AutoX

Turns out my car needs the cam recall done so the dealer I bought it from is working on getting me a loaner while this one waits for the recall. I have bigger problems, in other words. It does seem like this change is not going to happen.

As for the Carplay work being done on the phone, the device it's connecting to has to handshake to acknowledge and apparently the Chinese manufacturer of the daughter board is using an exploit to get it to work. If Apple closes the exploit, it's dead.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:43 PM
amady
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
It's unfortunate but you're right. The OEM systems are typically a few years behind. They want the aftermarket side to work out all of the bugs and glitches before they build tens of thousands of cars with a glitchy technology.

Also unfortunate is that you'll need a true expert to integrate anything in the Cayenne. I have a lot of good contacts across the US — PM me if you'd like a referral.
Hey Nick,
Any chance you know of a good contact for a stereo installer in Virginia or Washington DC? I'm looking to swap out my OEM navigation with a new unit. I'm also trying to source a bezel for my car. Something similar to what was used here:

Appreciate any insight you can offer.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:56 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by amady
Hey Nick,
Any chance you know of a good contact for a stereo installer in Virginia or Washington DC? I'm looking to swap out my OEM navigation with a new unit. I'm also trying to source a bezel for my car. Something similar to what was used here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Appreciate any insight you can offer.
You can try reaching out to Driven Mobile Electronics in Chantilly, VA – they're probably one of the best shops in that area. As for the bezel, if you're asking about a Panamera, I'm not sure where they sourced that one. It looks a lot like the OEM version from Suncoast, but I've never seen fitment for a Panamera. Here's the Cayenne version: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/K958DD.html
Old 11-25-2019, 11:50 PM
amady
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply Nick! I'll hit the guys at Driven Mobile.

I actually came across that cayenne version but seemed to be stumped as to where to source one for the Panamera. I'll continue the search anyhow.

Also planning to do some research on which Navigation kit to install from this batch
https://www.crutchfield.com/g_182350...price=690-1530

I'll keep you posted on any big progress.

Quick Reply: 2013 Cayenne - Replace PCM with Aftermarket Double Din Navigation