Sponsored By:

2011 Turbo PCM and an iPod?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 05:24 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts
Default 2011 Turbo PCM and an iPod?

Tried several times to connect my old iPod (the one with the wheel sorta thing on it) to the new (to me) Turbo (which has Burmeiser and the audio-connectivity packages) - and it isn't recognized.

Thought it might be the cable - but a new cable didn't help. This is the same iPod that lived in my '06 Tit/S Cayenne and worked just fine with a Dension interface.

Any ideas? According to the manuals (I looked) the system should recognize it when it's plugged into the USB input and it will appear as a source option.

The PCM does recognize a thumb drive with MP3's on it just fine, plugged into the same input, so the USB input port IS working.

One thing - the battery on this iPod has gone way past it's expiration date. It no longer really accepts a charge - it will only run for about 10 minutes disconnected from the USB port, but it powers on and works just fine when connected to a USB port.

Anyone have an iPod hooked up? Any magic or incantations needed?
Old 02-14-2016, 03:23 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Why not copy all the music to a thumb drive and be done with it... and reduce the risk that old iPod battery will burn your truck to the ground when it shorts out!
Old 02-16-2016, 02:27 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by garrett376
Why not copy all the music to a thumb drive and be done with it... and reduce the risk that old iPod battery will burn your truck to the ground when it shorts out!
Actually - except for the playlist feature - the thumb drive solution is entirely satisfactory. And that's what I'm using now. Just wondered why the iPod wasn't recognized. Have to find someone with a slightly newer iPod and see if theirs hooks up correctly. I'm OCD - so everything has to work correctly.. even if I'll never use it.

My mechanic claims my goal in life is making used cars perfect for the next owner - and he's probably right. It's a compulsion.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:23 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 659 Posts

Hahaha! Deilen,... I hear ya on the OCD thing. But of course you can shoot back (to your mechanic, who Btw is benefiting from your desire to make everything perfect, right?, so it sounds like he's a good buddy & you guys bust each others ba%%'s frequently. Love it),... that the constant desire to improve the quality of your cars is inherently YOUR HOBBY! In my mind, always having a list of things to improve on, is the spice of life.

Anyway, back to your issue here. I have a 2012 CTT, and even though there is high likelihood that our PCM software is different, I am able to see & use PlayLists on PCM Screen coming from a MP3 memory stick (built with ITunes Library) & connected via USB port. You should be able to do that.

But I will also caveat that my PCM software is not infallible. It is fickle. With my iPhone connected via USB, when I shut the vehicle down to run an errand, and leave my iPhone connected, I come back out & start the vehicle back up, it loses recognition of my iPhone. Yet this does NOT happen with a simple iPod. Strange. And what is even stranger, is that this did NOT happen before my dealership did a software upgrade to my PCM last summer. Ugh. I'll add that the MP3 memory stick works the BEST (better than iPod or iPhone).

Have you brought your Cayenne back to the dealership in a while, or called them to find out if your PCM needs a software update?
You may find that a update could get you better PCM connectivity performance.

(btw, shameless plug for premium sound systems,... I am a HUGE fan of the Burmester sound. Absolutely incredible. I have a serious home sound system (music is big in my family), and this Burmester makes me very happy to drive. I guess it's a good thing I do not have PSE, cuz clearly it would polarize me to what I should listen to. stop lights music up, light goes green music down, exhaust note launch, music back up,... wash repeat. Thank goodness I never turn my stereo on in the 964T ;-)

=Steve
Old 02-16-2016, 05:55 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Hahaha! Deilen,... I hear ya on the OCD thing. But of course you can shoot back (to your mechanic, who Btw is benefiting from your desire to make everything perfect, right?, so it sounds like he's a good buddy & you guys bust each others ba%%'s frequently. Love it),... that the constant desire to improve the quality of your cars is inherently YOUR HOBBY! In my mind, always having a list of things to improve on, is the spice of life.

Anyway, back to your issue here. I have a 2012 CTT, and even though there is high likelihood that our PCM software is different, I am able to see & use PlayLists on PCM Screen coming from a MP3 memory stick (built with ITunes Library) & connected via USB port. You should be able to do that.

But I will also caveat that my PCM software is not infallible. It is fickle. With my iPhone connected via USB, when I shut the vehicle down to run an errand, and leave my iPhone connected, I come back out & start the vehicle back up, it loses recognition of my iPhone. Yet this does NOT happen with a simple iPod. Strange. And what is even stranger, is that this did NOT happen before my dealership did a software upgrade to my PCM last summer. Ugh. I'll add that the MP3 memory stick works the BEST (better than iPod or iPhone).

Have you brought your Cayenne back to the dealership in a while, or called them to find out if your PCM needs a software update?
You may find that a update could get you better PCM connectivity performance.

(btw, shameless plug for premium sound systems,... I am a HUGE fan of the Burmester sound. Absolutely incredible. I have a serious home sound system (music is big in my family), and this Burmester makes me very happy to drive. I guess it's a good thing I do not have PSE, cuz clearly it would polarize me to what I should listen to. stop lights music up, light goes green music down, exhaust note launch, music back up,... wash repeat. Thank goodness I never turn my stereo on in the 964T ;-)

=Steve
Hey Steve,

Thanks. I talked to Porsche, and my Turbo still has a PCM recall update outstanding, so I'll get it to the dealer sometime soon and get that done.

I may just stick with the MP3/Thumbdrive - have to explore the interface some more since there are boxes within boxes on this vehicle.. I think I've reached the bottom of a menu sequence just to find there is yet another level to explore.

And I am also impressed with the Burmeiser. Found it's best with no sound shaping - the "Surround" sounds awful to me (like an old spring type reverb setup.) At first I thought it wasn't all that great - then I realized it's ruthlessly accurate, so poorly recorded music comes through sounding pretty dreadful (maybe I should try "smooth" on those.) Good recordings sound amazing, and the low frequency response is simply wonderful. Saint-Saen's Organ Symphony never sounded better.

It's not quite as good as my home systems - but given the environment - the sound quality is nothing short of amazing.

Oh well - back to exploring. Somehow the other day (before I learned how to save settings) - I managed to find an option to display a speed limit in the multi-purpose-display built into the instrument cluster. Of course when I shut down - it forgot that since I didn't know how to save it. I've been looking for several days now and cannot for the life of me find that option. Boxes within boxes - it's like the Russian nesting dolls, just when you think it's the last one, you notice a seam - and it opens - and there is yet another one.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:15 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I responded to your 6spd thread, but I don't know if you are checking it.

It may be the iPod you are using is too old. There is a list of supported models in the manual and when I bought my 13 I found that my iPod Mini as well as my "classic" models (before there was such a thing as the "classic label") wouldn't work. I had to use an old iPhone 3G as my iPod until someone swiped it.

Now I just use a USB stick. The interaction is a bit more painful than the iPod when searching for music, but it gets the job done.

Quick Reply: 2011 Turbo PCM and an iPod?