Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Old 01-10-2018, 06:26 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

I'd love to log boost curve as well. Do some 2nd-gear starts, pre- and post-fix.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:42 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Looks like the "big boys" are now getting drawn in: http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...ons-litigation

Wonder if "America's Best Selling Truck" will get the kid glove treatment?
Old 01-10-2018, 08:46 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Looks like the "big boys" are now getting drawn in: http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...ons-litigation

Wonder if "America's Best Selling Truck" will get the kid glove treatment?
....Just got my CD "fixed".... ....Now I'm looking at my 2011 F250 as possibly on the same trajectory! What's in common here..........Bosch!

-Chuck
Old 01-10-2018, 11:23 PM
ExportedAfrican
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my 13 back from "the fix". Looks like my experience may be a bit limited.

After starting the car I could hear a slight rattle sound. It got worse as I drove off. While accelerating it couldn't find 2nd gear for its life! Total miss! After a few miles it got better as things heated up.

When driving it just prior to shifting I would hear a rattling/grinding sound. This was pretty consistent .

I turned the car around and drove it back and told my service rep I would not accept it. Should be interesting to see how it gets handled. Car was fine before and now it's like driving a car missing a gear.

Stay tuned. Hopefully they unplugged something or something needs to adapt/be programmed
Old 01-11-2018, 10:18 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Now we're talking!!

The discussion is about pre- and post- fix changes, so just baselining the EGTs in normal driving, highway driving, warmup period and even 0-60 runs would be fantastic data points. Then doing the same after the fix would let us all know if EGTs are going to be a factor for us in the long term health of our engines.
That's the plan! And here's how the conversation will go...

"Babe, I need to go drive the Porsche around to do data logging"
"Data logging, huh?"
"Yup.. they're all counting on me"
"Who is?"
"All of the diesel Rennlister's! This is serious bidness, woman!"
"Mmm-hmmm"
"I'll pick up some wine while I'm out"
"Have fun"
Old 01-11-2018, 10:30 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

ROTFLMAO!

On a serious note we thank you in advance whatever you can share, if you ever find the time.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by Eskimo1

"Data logging, huh?"
"Who is?"
"Mmm-hmmm"
"Have fun"
Old 01-11-2018, 10:54 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

"Data logging, huh?"
"Who is?"
"Mmm-hmmm"
"Have fun"

Hilarious! It is always so good to see some humor on here as there can be a lot of panty-bunching going on.

How about the guy(s) who want verified/certified dynamometer results?

To each their own.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:24 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
Still waiting on my 2nd Bosch check. They (Bosch) seems to be very slow at paying, at least to me. Called them early Dec after the fix was done and they had no clue when I could expect it. Going to call them again later this week.
Called the Bosch folks. Finally got the straight answer. Had to talk to a supervisor, but seems they had already sent me my two checks - one in Sept and one in Oct. But I never got the Sept check. Fortunately it was never cashed so it was voided. I have to write them a letter and send by USPS requesting they send me a replacement check for the Sept check. They were helpful in that they provided the check number and a reference tracking number for all my contacts. I'm not sure why the previous calls got nowhere - well maybe I do know -

For those still waiting on Bosch, if you do call the Bosch administrator phone number, ask for a supervisor, they have access to a little more info than the front line call folks, even though they say they don't.

PS - wish Bosch had the electronic deposit option like VW, which worked great for me.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:00 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Called the Bosch folks.
Dear gawd... How do we get past the hour-long pre-recorded intro and get to someone with a pulse?
Old 01-11-2018, 04:51 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

"Data logging, huh?"
"Who is?"
"Mmm-hmmm"
"Have fun"
Old 01-12-2018, 05:53 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Called the Bosch folks. Finally got the straight answer. Had to talk to a supervisor, but seems they had already sent me my two checks - one in Sept and one in Oct. But I never got the Sept check. Fortunately it was never cashed so it was voided. I have to write them a letter and send by USPS requesting they send me a replacement check for the Sept check. They were helpful in that they provided the check number and a reference tracking number for all my contacts. I'm not sure why the previous calls got nowhere - well maybe I do know -

For those still waiting on Bosch, if you do call the Bosch administrator phone number, ask for a supervisor, they have access to a little more info than the front line call folks, even though they say they don't.

PS - wish Bosch had the electronic deposit option like VW, which worked great for me.
number or website for them? I got one check only also, but in September.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:07 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MJG911
number or website for them? I got one check only also, but in September.
https://boschvwsettlement.mdl.online/

"Claims Administrator toll-free at 1-844-305-1928."
Old 01-13-2018, 04:21 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Just took the 2015 CD in for the fix. As previously reported, nothing to add except:

The new EPA sheet that states the mileage, etc... slight change increase from 442 to 445 grams of CO2/mi.

I would add, this might be my personal preference, that when they detailed the car they used the "back to black" like treatment on the exterior pieces. If you don't like that
shinny look then ask them in advance to just clean vs treat those parts.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:07 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

First road trip with a "fixed" 2016 with 1700 miles on it currently. 90 % highway, holding 70-85 mph. 34.4 mpg. Just another data point, seems good to me.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:04 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Just the facts!

I got Torque to work with my crappy old OBDII adapter, and was able to see EGT's, DPF pressure, boost, etc. Since my '16 is currently bone stock and un-fixed, this will be some good baselines. Problem is, I don't have a frame of reference as to what "OK" EGT's are for this particular engine. My last diesel was a 12-valve Cummins, and with the EGT probe mounted several inches away from the (iron) head, the goal was to keep EGT's at or below 1200°. Brief spikes higher than that were OK (I pegged the 1600° gauge on a dyno pull), but for all-day towing, 1200° or below. Duramax guys (with their aluminum heads) were more liberal in their "safe" EGT's, normally saying something more like 1350-1400° is OK. Doing a brake-launched 0-85mph pull in the CD yesterday, EGT's stayed at 1200-1300, and slowly climbed to a peak of ~1400° (Perhaps that's where the ECU starts de-fueling?). I've also realized why they don't give us a boost gauge - it's all over the place! Did see a peak of 37psi right at launch. As suspected with this small, responsive turbo, either mechanically or electronically, boost falls off at higher RPM. When I get a little time, I'll turn on data logging and get some of this in a CSV for those interested.
Eskimo1, thanks for getting pre-fix data! Would complete the picture if someone would also get Pre & Post-fix dyno runs for both a 13/14 and a 15/16 CD.
We have a 2013 CD and got a pre dyno run - Here are our before -at the wheels- numbers run on a Dynojet with data normalized for temperature.
Max Pwr______203.20___200.97_____202.42
Engine RPM___3.55______3.56______3.54
Max Trq_______354.82___356.82_____352.35
Engine RPM___2.46______2.44_______2.42
Still not convinced to get the 'fix' - Would like to see numbers after the 'fix' - We do endurance off-road rally & Overlanding, can not afford to give up performance. One run last summer started at 3800' climbed to 8000' then descended to 4000' in less than one mile.
Another potential issue for us is cold weather starts as in the -36F it got to in Yellowknife. Has anyone had the fix in the north, how has it started in sub-zero temps?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue