Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Old 01-09-2018, 02:39 AM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Not my first rodeo, either. If you have the EGT results, please post them.
Good, then you should know that the burden of proof is on you in disproving non "seat-of-pants" testing. I don't deal with less than empirical data. The only thing you have besides what your rear is telling you is a brochure Porsche sent out stating revised AdBlue usage and MPG figures based off original Maroney figures. Everything else listed has NOTHING to do with engine management. Also, I would revisit the nuances of tuning and what causes lean/rich conditions (such as which one produces more power), what exactly causes high EGT's, why over boosting and associated spikes occur, duty cycles, timing issues, and safety levels between various systems (i.e. diesel, petrol, AV gas).

Food for thought: How do you suppose the engineers at VW/Audi/Porsche developed the engine? Was it based on pre-fix or post-fix engine management conditions? Last but not least, who was the greatest contributor/beneficiary in this whole debacle?
Old 01-09-2018, 12:15 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit

Food for thought: How do you suppose the engineers at VW/Audi/Porsche developed the engine? Was it based on pre-fix or post-fix engine management conditions? Last but not least, who was the greatest contributor/beneficiary in this whole debacle?
All I remember when doing my research in 2013 was that some automobile journalist were praising the smoothness of the VW 3.0 tdi, compared with others in the market. If I remember, Car and Driver had a comparison with the Jeep Grand Cherokee, the Mercedes M class (at that time?), and the BMW X5. I bet the other manufacturers were scratching their heads as to how VW/Audi was able to engineer the smoothness of the 3.0 tdi. Well, now we know.

Again, as you said, without empirical data, we can't tell wether the fix may affect the longevity of the engine (I assume that is what you are implying)
Old 01-09-2018, 12:47 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
Good, then you should know that the burden of proof is on you in disproving non "seat-of-pants" testing. I don't deal with less than empirical data. The only thing you have besides what your rear is telling you is a brochure Porsche sent out stating revised AdBlue usage and MPG figures based off original Maroney figures. Everything else listed has NOTHING to do with engine management. Also, I would revisit the nuances of tuning and what causes lean/rich conditions (such as which one produces more power), what exactly causes high EGT's, why over boosting and associated spikes occur, duty cycles, timing issues, and safety levels between various systems (i.e. diesel, petrol, AV gas).

No, the burden of proof is on you; you claim to have empirical data. Post it. Prove it. I claim my impressions are not data based, but comparison based from "before". The burden of proof when you make wild *** claims is on the claimer... who claims to have the data to back up those claims. Post your hard empirical proof or join the rest of us in our comparison based, anecdotal data and stop claiming to know more than that.

Playing "I've got a secret" and am, therefore, smarter than the rest of you doesn't help this conversation. In fact, it's less helpful than those of us posting observations and anecdotal results to this thread.

As the saying goes: Put up or shut up.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:19 PM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Sword_of_Spirit, stop being pedantic and either post something of value, or stop stinking up this thread.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:12 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I think the issue is no one here has the data. Though the issue may be moot. How many of us would keep our CD pass the 10 years limited fix warranty? For me it would be sometime in 2023. Most likely I would have moved to something else by then

Last edited by visitador; 01-09-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:28 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Yeah too bad the DuraMetric doesn't log "actual values" on the CD or it would be fairly easy to at least get some baseline metrics and put a lot of this speculation to rest.

Clearly there are some folks here (myself included) with experience tuning turbocharged vehicles and/or working for a manufacturer. We can hypothesize on what's going on, and I bet we're all accurate to some degree.

The fact that they offer a 10y warranty on a lot of components (including the turbocharger... which is usually an early victim when it comes to insanely high EGTs) I think speaks to the possibility that the "fix" will remain reliable. They've taken such a hit already with the fine - I doubt they'd put a fix together that severely shortens the lifespan of components they added a 10y warranty to.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:45 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH

The fact that they offer a 10y warranty on a lot of components (including the turbocharger... which is usually an early victim when it comes to insanely high EGTs) I think speaks to the possibility that the "fix" will remain reliable. They've taken such a hit already with the fine - I doubt they'd put a fix together that severely shortens the lifespan of components they added a 10y warranty to.
One could take a darker view of the purpose of the warranty, which would allow VAG to kick the can down the road for some of the Dieselgate costs and even transfer some costs to long term owners. Look at it this way- if the components were designed with a 15 year life and "fix" reduced the life to 10 years, they'd see a number of components fail prior to 10 years, of which the warranty would cover. However, long term owners who are out of warranty would experience failures well in advance of the original configuration. It is a reasonable question to ask how much additional stress the new configuration adds to the engine. This isn't the old days, where 5 year old cars rust out, and become uneconomical to repair. In particular, 10 year old Porsches still look new with much additional expected life.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:55 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

2nd Bosch Check arrived
Old 01-10-2018, 09:46 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

I got Torque to work with my crappy old OBDII adapter, and was able to see EGT's, DPF pressure, boost, etc. Since my '16 is currently bone stock and un-fixed, this will be some good baselines.

Problem is, I don't have a frame of reference as to what "OK" EGT's are for this particular engine. My last diesel was a 12-valve Cummins, and with the EGT probe mounted several inches away from the (iron) head, the goal was to keep EGT's at or below 1200°. Brief spikes higher than that were OK (I pegged the 1600° gauge on a dyno pull), but for all-day towing, 1200° or below. Duramax guys (with their aluminum heads) were more liberal in their "safe" EGT's, normally saying something more like 1350-1400° is OK.

Doing a brake-launched 0-85mph pull in the CD yesterday, EGT's stayed at 1200-1300, and slowly climbed to a peak of ~1400° (Perhaps that's where the ECU starts de-fueling?). I've also realized why they don't give us a boost gauge - it's all over the place! Did see a peak of 37psi right at launch. As suspected with this small, responsive turbo, either mechanically or electronically, boost falls off at higher RPM. When I get a little time, I'll turn on data logging and get some of this in a CSV for those interested.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:16 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you for sharing and very helpful!

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
I got Torque to work with my crappy old OBDII adapter, and was able to see EGT's, DPF pressure, boost, etc. Since my '16 is currently bone stock and un-fixed, this will be some good baselines.

Problem is, I don't have a frame of reference as to what "OK" EGT's are for this particular engine. My last diesel was a 12-valve Cummins, and with the EGT probe mounted several inches away from the (iron) head, the goal was to keep EGT's at or below 1200°. Brief spikes higher than that were OK (I pegged the 1600° gauge on a dyno pull), but for all-day towing, 1200° or below. Duramax guys (with their aluminum heads) were more liberal in their "safe" EGT's, normally saying something more like 1350-1400° is OK.

Doing a brake-launched 0-85mph pull in the CD yesterday, EGT's stayed at 1200-1300, and slowly climbed to a peak of ~1400° (Perhaps that's where the ECU starts de-fueling?). I've also realized why they don't give us a boost gauge - it's all over the place! Did see a peak of 37psi right at launch. As suspected with this small, responsive turbo, either mechanically or electronically, boost falls off at higher RPM. When I get a little time, I'll turn on data logging and get some of this in a CSV for those interested.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:16 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

2nd Bosch Check arrived
Great!

Getting (that last) $750, for pretty much nothing, sure is nice.

I'm looking forward to my piece of the pie.

Last edited by BenCD; 01-10-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:35 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

2nd Bosch Check arrived
hope mine comes soon!
Old 01-10-2018, 10:53 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

That is excellent news. Please get a sampling of logs and share!
Old 01-10-2018, 02:42 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Still waiting on my 2nd Bosch check. They (Bosch) seems to be very slow at paying, at least to me. Called them early Dec after the fix was done and they had no clue when I could expect it. Going to call them again later this week.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:01 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Now we're talking!!

The discussion is about pre- and post- fix changes, so just baselining the EGTs in normal driving, highway driving, warmup period and even 0-60 runs would be fantastic data points. Then doing the same after the fix would let us all know if EGTs are going to be a factor for us in the long term health of our engines.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue