Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 04:27 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
non fix CD. takes about 3-4 minutes after cold start to reach 200 and then stays there.
Good data point. Both my post-fixes seem to take 2-3 mins, but could be 4.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:34 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 324 Posts

My CD is currently at the dealer with emissions fault codes, specifically catalyst ones. 7000 miles driven since the fix was done. Dealer tells me they have two other CD's in their shop with the same issues, all about the same mileage as mine post fix.
EGR's are all clogged up. They're waiting to see what happens with their fixes on the other CD's before they fix ours. Speculation is this is getting caused by the new "fix" software and they're reaching out to Porsche to see if Porsche has a software update...
Old 07-08-2018, 06:02 PM
Rupert16
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What's happening to our CD's post fix is exactly the same issues they've been experiencing in the UK, they started there 4 & 6 cylinder TDi fixes months before Nth America so have had lots more time to develop Post Emission Faults.
I've been in contact with Celtic Tuning in the south of England, they're one of the leading TDi tuning Companies in the U.K. they told more VAG Germany are literally pulling at strings to figure out all these Post Fix problems that popping up.
As I mentioned on an earlier reply, the Fix is effecting Vechicles differently based on mileage and owner driving conditions. What I mean by this, each of our vehicles induction systems will be blocked with a black oily carbon deposit affecting efficiency of these motors.
I think a lot of us know, that part of the fix has drastically increased the operation of the EGR, which intern is pushing more oily blow by into the induction system creating the fowling up issues probably sooner than pre fix might have done.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:47 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Maybe that is why we have the 10 years fix warranty. I bet all parties in the settlement knew this was going to happen. They are all experts in the field, right ?
Old 07-08-2018, 09:45 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

wonder if installing a catch can would help? I'm feeling better and better about not getting it fixed.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:55 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

This does not make me happy to hear.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:30 AM
Rupert16
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes a CCV filter is the answer for Diesels and GDI Gasoline injection vehicles, but not all Catch Cans are equal.
The best one I've used is by Mann, the German Company that make lots of OEM filters and Induction system filter housings etc.
Have a close look at the Air Filter Housings on our Cayennes and you'll see it's made by Mann, also on my '14 Mercedes E550.
The most common CCV Filter from Mann is there ProVent 200, this model suits a range of different HP ratings which includes ours TDi's.
Now for the reason, to which we should use this particular filter, it has two built in pressure relief valves that will help safeguard any over Crank case pressure and possible directional gas flow pressures built up, due to (hose id diameters) being to constrictive.
Most of the fancy Aluminum filters I've seen on the market don't look like they have relief valves, and certainly there (in & out ports) look way too small.
I've have all the necessary parts to install my ProVent 200 on my CD, once my Dealer has fixed the recurring issues my CD is suffering from, Post Fix.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:19 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Personally I'm not adding anything to the CD that Porsche already didn't put there. If this is a recurring problem, they're going to have to buy these back from us. I think the same fault 4 times triggers that. So, I'll wait and see what happens.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:10 PM
petery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJG911
wonder if installing a catch can would help? I'm feeling better and better about not getting it fixed.
When is the deadline to get it fixed? Sometime in 2019? I will try to wait until the last minute to get it fixed.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:00 PM
tmack2012
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by petery
When is the deadline to get it fixed? Sometime in 2019? I will try to wait until the last minute to get it fixed.
I am in Canada.

Letter from VW/Audi/Porsche Class Action Administration (undersigned RicePoint Administrators Inc.) dated May 8, 2018:

"Canadian and U.S. settlement class members with affected 3.0L diesel vehicles that were first sold or leased in Canada may now submit claims for benefits under the serttlement via the online Claims Portal or paper claim form that are available through www.VWCanadaSettlement.ca......Claimants have until May 31, 2019 to submit a claim."

I also am going to wait until the bitter end to get mine fixed, cross fingers perhaps software update could help alleviate some of these drivability issues. My after sales manager said no rush at all, from his standpoint either, why not wait until next May, he suggested.

They've done a handful of fixes. He hadn't really heard back feedback. A work colleague got his Q7 done. Haven't heard much from him, but it's his wife's car. I imagine a lot of these vehicles are just doing simple commuter duty by total non-enthusiast car people who may not really notice some of the reported post-fix behaviors.

I have really fallen in love with this vehicle over the years. Yes I would like to get a 911 too, but for my daily driving realities, the peformance/economy, luxury, drivability etc, where I live (long harsh winters, lake season in summer hauling bikes and stufff) - I can't imagine a better vehicle.

Some people say '19 Cayenne S E-Hybrid plug in could be an alternative, that may be the case. But mine is cheap now, bought new 6 years old and (was) far less complicated. We have hit peak performance/efficiency with the pre-fix CD, downhill from here as far as I can tell.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:19 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi all. Been off of this forum for a while and just catching up on what's going on here. I had my 13 CD fixed about 4 months ago and it has seen very little use (~3k miles) because quite simply, I am very unhappy with the altered drivability. The hot/humid turbo lag is ridiculous. Going up a hill near my house after a cold start requires me mashing the pedal and then waiting 2 full seconds before the car moves. It is borderline dangerous if one is not prepared for it. Right now I am primarily using to tow my track vehicle and I am debating getting rid of it. What's the best path forward? Is there any potential that this will explode into something resulting a buy back? I absolutely feel that the $9k I received for the car is not commensurate with the altered performance of the car. I used to love this car; now I barely want to drive it.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:58 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Mine was doing that too, then it threw a check engine light. Dealer replaced the EGT sensors, the catalytic converter and flashed the DME with the latest software. It drives much, much better now. Throttle lag is greatly improved, power too...
Old 07-16-2018, 05:39 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Hmmm, I'm not far from that guy in PA..
Old 07-17-2018, 04:27 PM
TFR4E
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To Alexaqui's post 5681: 2sec lag from start sounds very similar to what my CD developed after emission "fix". Multiple discussions with PCNA (opened a case for the issue), visits to local dealer (who did not try hard; drove the car, checked for "codes", updated "software"), measuring 0-60 at ~10sec to show PCNA "objective" data that car is way out of spec after fix (~7sec spec), resulted in nothing. I was told that Porsche will not do anything for me, what my car does is "normal". See my posts 5566, 5598. I feel exactly like you, loved the car before fix, can't stand to drive it now (feels unsafe merging at roundabouts). I decided to sell.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:44 AM
petery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ahhhh, love driving CD in sport mode, I will miss it when I get the fix done.

25.5mpg stuck in LA traffic in sport mode.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue