Rupert16
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

<div style="text-align:left;"></div>
Old 06-15-2018, 02:58 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

How many EGR valve failures and subsequent blockages do we have on here? Rupert and booch. Anyone else? Looking forward to hearing their results.

Wonder if the PCV valve could be adding to the gumming up of things? As far as I can tell we have these valves in our engines, so blowing oil back into the intake system seems like it'd gum things up more than burned exhaust gasses.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:44 PM
Rupert16
Advanced

Old 06-15-2018, 05:23 PM
BoersID
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skiahh
How many EGR valve failures and subsequent blockages do we have on here? Rupert and booch. Anyone else? Looking forward to hearing their results.

Wonder if the PCV valve could be adding to the gumming up of things? As far as I can tell we have these valves in our engines, so blowing oil back into the intake system seems like it'd gum things up more than burned exhaust gasses.

EGR failed for me
Old 06-15-2018, 10:08 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Rupert16
Something's missing....
Old 06-16-2018, 01:09 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Something's missing....
Intelligence?
Old 06-18-2018, 08:09 PM
chriswit1
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Default My 2015 CD

My 2015 CD 40,000miles with fix is also very problematic. It definitly has decreased power and sometimes has a lag of several seconds where the first few times it happened I thought the car had stalled then it lunges forward all the sudden. It’s very bizarre. I have also been averaging 18.8 mpg over the last week or so. I live in Philly with crazy traffic, but still my Jeep Wrangler that’s lifted averages about 15 on the same drives. SO the CD isn’t even that much better anymore. All this I could live with, but the biggest thing for me is a vibration in the steering wheel that goes with the engine clatter. It seems 3 times louder than it should at idle. Sounds fine while driving but man the idle in traffic is driving me nuts. Anyone else experiencing the loud idle and clatter?
Old 06-18-2018, 09:08 PM
Rupert16
Advanced

Chriswit1

As I mentioned in previous texts, it very much depends on the type of driving you've been doing City stop/go or maybe more Hwy.
This is going to have a big effect on Carbon build up in the induction system ( EGR Valve, Swirl Flap and Manifold.), mine had serious blockage.
If you think about the weight Oil, these engines are required to use( 5W30), it's no wonder we get blow by and the then it's passed through the inlet system which intern becomes this Goohy Carbon mess.

The factory Oil Coalescing Valve/Filter built into the Valve cover is clearly over taxed, that's why I'm installing a Mann ProVent 200 CCV filter to help take care of this issue.

I still don't have my '14 CD back from the Dealer, can't seem to solve this Radiator Fan continuously running problem.
Porsche Canada has them trying some pretty weird reset manoeuvres.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:41 AM
RomSL
Instructor

Originally Posted by chriswit1
My 2015 CD 40,000miles with fix is also very problematic. It definitly has decreased power and sometimes has a lag of several seconds where the first few times it happened I thought the car had stalled then it lunges forward all the sudden. It’s very bizarre. I have also been averaging 18.8 mpg over the last week or so. I live in Philly with crazy traffic, but still my Jeep Wrangler that’s lifted averages about 15 on the same drives. SO the CD isn’t even that much better anymore. All this I could live with, but the biggest thing for me is a vibration in the steering wheel that goes with the engine clatter. It seems 3 times louder than it should at idle. Sounds fine while driving but man the idle in traffic is driving me nuts. Anyone else experiencing the loud idle and clatter?
Mine does vibrate at idle a lot. Yours didn't vibrate that badly pre-fix?
Old 06-19-2018, 08:06 PM
chriswit1
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RomSL
Mine does vibrate at idle a lot. Yours didn't vibrate that badly pre-fix?
i boight mine with the fix already. I had driven another one as a loaner pre fix with no vibration thru the wheel ar all.I read on a VW complaint board about Taureg drivers noticing a louder engine at idle with more vibration after the emissions flash and fix. My 2015 has the loud idle and vibration they describe to a T. There were also several people who reflashed the taureg 3.0 with an aftermarket tune, and the loud idle and vibration went away. Not sure why it only seems to affect some cars, and not all??? Another poster above mentioned buildup in the system. Maybe the cars with more buildup are affected more after the fix?? So maybe a good internal cleaning might help the idle vibration. Idk. But mine is at the dealer now. I couldn’t take the vibration as I drive in stop and go traffic for an hour each way to work. It really was getting on my nerves. I told them today Ill have to trade back the car for sometheing else if they can’t fix the vibrating. I’ll update and let you know what they can do about it.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:25 PM
Rupert16
Advanced

Old 06-19-2018, 08:32 PM
Rupert16
Advanced

Yes I strongly believe the build up is effecting everything after the fix!
One thing not mentioned so far is that the EGR is working a lot more, this will send even more burnt oily gases into the induction cycle.
The result is potentially less fresh air mixed into this cycle causing a terribly poor idle and bad efficiency.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:16 AM
RomSL
Instructor

Hey guys,

So, after driving a post-fix CD 2015 for a while I can tell that what we see in these cars is a typical strict smoke limiter behavior. I tuned TDIs in the past and this is exactly what happens when a smoke map is very aggressive - ECU will not inject the fuel until a solid boost is built up. This is especially noticeable in low gears. It’s not the transmission problem. A decent tune should fix this.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:00 PM
BoersID
Track Day

Anyone else on this thread in MN with a CD?

Originally Posted by RomSL
Hey guys,

So, after driving a post-fix CD 2015 for a while I can tell that what we see in these cars is a typical strict smoke limiter behavior. I tuned TDIs in the past and this is exactly what happens when a smoke map is very aggressive - ECU will not inject the fuel until a solid boost is built up. This is especially noticeable in low gears. It’s not the transmission problem. A decent tune should fix this.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:10 PM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Got a call from my SA this morning regarding the EGR replacement that was scheduled for tomorrow. Parts are on backorder until September, apparently due to a re-design. Guess I'll be driving with a CEL all summer.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue