Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 02:20 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I've experienced this too - mostly when in heavy traffic and needing to LEAP into another lane.

I can't say it's a "post fix" thing. I've experienced this problem across my last few cars - IMO it's a transmission calibration thing. My old Audi A6 (6sp auto) and GMC Sierra (also a 6sp auto) seemed to want to get to the higher gear ASAP and as such, I'd catch it with it's pants down sometimes when I'd nail the throttle and the trans would have to *decide* what gear it wanted to be in.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:26 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I've experienced this too - mostly when in heavy traffic and needing to LEAP into another lane.

I can't say it's a "post fix" thing. I've experienced this problem across my last few cars - IMO it's a transmission calibration thing. My old Audi A6 (6sp auto) and GMC Sierra (also a 6sp auto) seemed to want to get to the higher gear ASAP and as such, I'd catch it with it's pants down sometimes when I'd nail the throttle and the trans would have to *decide* what gear it wanted to be in.
When I think about it, I have seen the same issue with many other vehicles. Back when my wife had a 2006 Rav4, there was one gent who was so unhappy with the lag his N/A 3.5L V6 AWD transmission in his 2006 or 2007 Rav4 he had he would try and get others to write the NHTSA to force Toyota to fix his perceived problem with the throttle delay and we're talking a non-turbo grocery getter in the Rav4. I've also seen people complain about the transmission lag in several other vehicles.

The Pontaic G8 GT owners like myself could purchase SuperChips handheld tuners that would allow us to choose how firm we wanted our shifts to be, from a nice 25% increase to 150% where the transmission would shift so hard that the LSD rear would leave rubber in between shfits because they were so firm, the increase eliminated the downshift lag, the same lag we all seem to get in our CD's.

Does the same transmission in the gas powered Cayennes 958.2's have the same delay vs the diesel?
Old 05-03-2018, 02:44 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD

Does the same transmission in the gas powered Cayennes 958.2's have the same delay vs the diesel?
From what I read in the general forum, yes
Old 05-03-2018, 02:48 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Ok, then it is simply the way that the mfg's have things set up, with the delay and all.

It makes me laugh when guys say that it is a safety issue, as if vehicles that take a little longer to go through an intersection or merge into traffic are suddenly, in 2017/2018, the delay is causing others to pinball into those with a transmission delay and that it is happening all over the USA. Makes me think of the decades of shytboxes with carbueretors and just junkers in general, and how awful the response was back then, those of us who had to endure the 1972 Chevelle's, 1974 Chrysler Sebring Plus, 1976 Chevy Nova-and the list can go on and on and on with all those POS that littered the roads in the mid to late 80's and into the 90's but that are all but gone now, but somehow, in 2018 we demand perfection from these machines, and in a way, we should, so I'm a hypocrite.

I'll bet the delay is to prolong transmission life.

Last edited by BenCD; 05-03-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:45 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I dunno.... basing my decision on motorcycle experience (as most cars were already fuel injected by the time I started driving).... it's taken a while for FI to catch up to the initial responsiveness of a carburetor.

The only time I'd consider it a "safety issue" is when I'm trying to make a quick move. And then, is it really a "safety" issue with the car, getting in the way of making and aggressive move?

I'll say the delay IS long enough to create a panic reaction internally. All these years driving various vehicles that do this and it still "catches" me.

On my GMC I could mostly correct the issue by putting the transmission in a funky mode that disabled something. I can't remember what it was as it was ~2 years ago now, but if you held down the "Tow/Haul" button for 5 seconds, it would pop up a message on the DIC that something was disabled. The whole vehicle was WAY more responsive after that.

But yes - the delay in actual response from the engine when you hit the pedal is probably to protect the trans. The trans decides what it's going to do, THEN the PCM allows the engine to send torque.
I think it's just a transmission calibration thing. Too many gears to choose from, plus a design/desire by the manufacturers to keep emissions low and fuel economy high.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:54 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
Ok, then it is simply the way that the mfg's have things set up, with the delay and all.

It makes me laugh when guys say that it is a safety issue, as if vehicles that take a little longer to go through an intersection or merge into traffic are suddenly, in 2017/2018, the delay is causing others to pinball into those with a transmission delay and that it is happening all over the USA. Makes me think of the decades of shytboxes with carbueretors and just junkers in general, and how awful the response was back then, those of us who had to endure the 1972 Chevelle's, 1974 Chrysler Sebring Plus, 1976 Chevy Nova-and the list can go on and on and on with all those POS that littered the roads in the mid to late 80's and into the 90's but that are all but gone now, but somehow, in 2018 we demand perfection from these machines, and in a way, we should, so I'm a hypocrite.

I'll bet the delay is to prolong transmission life.
Oh, it can be a safety issue if you don't time it right.

Mine's been reflashed and I was advised to put some miles on it before making any conclusions. However, just the other day, I hit the accelerator pressing it about a third of the way to the floor. Normal mode, not Sport. Nothing happened. Nothing happened for so long I was able to look down, note I was going 22 MPH and the RPM was not rising. Nothing. Nada. After 2-3 seconds of looking at the speedo and tach, RPMs slowly started up and then, at about 2200 the turbo kicked in and off I went. I kept watching and saw, on several occasions (again, in 3rd gear ~20something MPH) the tach needle jump up (with no corresponding sound or acceleration), then return to the original RPM, where it gradually started to rise and accelerate a la a loaded dump truck or '80s 300D.

Sport mode still seems to be there, but it may be fading away, again, too. More time to write an accurate "Customer Reports" section.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:29 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by PDR447
How much of this is placebo? It went from a "that's just how it is" attitude to "it's the fix's fault"? Just wondering. A couple pages back someone drove both back to back and determined nothing major in their opinion.
I wrote those posts and can tell you that they certainly didn't perform like the original. You make an interesting point about the placebo effect. It is spot on, and I blame Porsche, because they made changes to the car, and our minds are finding real and perceived differences.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:59 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
The CD has always had lag. Pretty significant lag.
My 2010 Touareg TDI had lag in normal mode but in sport mode it took off with no delay that I could sense, similar to my current Cayenne GTS with the V8.

When I tested a fixed CD, there was really bad lag in both normal and sport mode. The sport button didn’t seem to make any difference. Furthermore, when the turbos kicked in, it was so forceful, that I’d be concerned about potential loss of control if the front wheels weren’t pointed straight ahead.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:17 AM
santib
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Originally Posted by santib
Hello All, New ‘15 CD owner here and just wanted to say that I love the CD but the hesitation from a rolling stop is awful. Going to take it in and see if there is anything they can do with it. Have only had it for a month so still getting accustomed to it. Wish I could have driven a pre-fix one to compare.
Wife took CD to dealer and had Tech drive the vehicle. Tech noticed the issue before even leaving the lot. Left vehicle with dealer and was told they found a loose boost hose causing the lag but that there where no codes or errors in the system. I have not had a chance to drive it since we got it back but my wife says it’s night and day better.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:05 AM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a 2014 Touareg TDI. I had the software "fix" done a few weeks ago. Things that I notice.

The car has a lot more Turbo lag
Sport mode seems non existent
Fuel economy went down
Performance feels low

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket solution? I love the vehicle but it's not what I signed up for. Much appreciate any advice.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:23 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Wife took CD to dealer and had Tech drive the vehicle. Tech noticed the issue before even leaving the lot. Left vehicle with dealer and was told they found a loose boost hose causing the lag but that there where no codes or errors in the system. I have not had a chance to drive it since we got it back but my wife says it’s night and day better.
Thanks for the input. One more thing to be aware
Old 05-06-2018, 08:21 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Wonder if Belgian diesels have to get the 'fix'?
2010 Cayenne Diesel with 711,499 kms on the clock. Photo from a Facebook post:

Last edited by RS-America; 05-06-2018 at 10:19 PM. Reason: format
Old 05-07-2018, 10:30 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-America
Wonder if Belgian diesels have to get the 'fix'?
2010 Cayenne Diesel with 711,499 kms on the clock. Photo from a Facebook post:

Believe EU CDs do not have emissions components until 2013 or even later. Seeing these high mileage cars is not a surprise.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:14 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Don't suppose you have specifics on which boost hose and which end? I'd love to go hunting under the hood and see if I can find something like that, but would welcome a place to start.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:25 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

^^^ Maybe have to retrofit with something like this once the courtesy warranty expires:

https://www.boost-products.eu/en/col...s-line/a-2240/

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue