Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 08:53 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
With recent sub zero cold weather Anyone have diesel gel issues ? And do you add anti gel fluid ?
I was up in VT this past weekend, and on a morning of -9, the CD started right up. I've had no gelling issues since my first TDI in 2013.

I dose the fuel with PowerService in the white bottle-the cold weather formula. I bought the last 7 of the 2 1/2 quart bottles for $4 each at a local Walmart a few years ago as spring started and they must have wanted them gone and I was all too happy to take them.

Last edited by BenCD; 01-03-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:51 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
With recent sub zero cold weather Anyone have diesel gel issues ? And do you add anti gel fluid ?
I use Stanadyne year round. We swore by it when I used to work for Navistar.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:25 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
You guys see any significant decrease in carbon deposit build up using additive vs not? Especially on the EGR intake manifolds area?
Old 01-03-2018, 05:22 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stanadyne

I use this in the two Cayennes and my Sabre Boat with twin Cummins. A very good prodcut recommended by diesel people.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:27 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by chsu74
You guys see any significant decrease in carbon deposit build up using additive vs not? Especially on the EGR intake manifolds area?
From what I recall it was more for injector and pump life, and anti-gelling.

The EGR is a problem on the 6.0PSDs that don't get run hard. Drive them like a truck (work hard, tow frequently, etc.) and they generally hold up ok.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:26 PM
billyg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
Wow. Those are pretty bad horror stories. I've not experienced anything like that but our low temps are not in the 30's yet. The lack of turbo boost (i.e. torque) sounds odd, I'd return to the fixing dealer and have them check the boost system. What you have described sounds much like what I experienced last winter when my boost hose became cracked (it did throw some codes too). Zero power. Once it was replaced, everything was normal again.
Back to the dealer the other day for a test drive with my tech who said I’d know best if torque and boost were lost. He did diagnostics on the boost and detected no loss of power. As a matter of fact he was able to have the beast jump 3-4 inches forward while being tested in a stationary position. He said all lips were mum when given the software package from corporate to install other than saying 1 could use up to 50% more add blue. He had no clue, zip, zilch, nada on what’s in the software update. She has more pep now than a regular Cayenne and less than before the fix.Too boot, being stuck in 3rd while she warms up is to me anyway a bunch of bs. I was advised to log a complaint with corporate.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:06 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by billyg
Too boot, being stuck in 3rd while she warms up is to me anyway a bunch of bs. I was advised to log a complaint with corporate.
They're trying to heat up the catalyst as quickly as possible. I bet most of the "cheating" was in cold start and cold running conditions (which is typical for most diesels.) Catalysts only work when hot so the sooner you can heat it up, the sooner it starts working, and the sooner emissions are lower.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:55 PM
billyg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
Wow. Those are pretty bad horror stories. I've not experienced anything like that but our low temps are not in the 30's yet. The lack of turbo boost (i.e. torque) sounds odd, I'd return to the fixing dealer and have them check the boost system. What you have described sounds much like what I experienced last winter when my boost hose became cracked (it did throw some codes too). Zero power. Once it was replaced, everything was normal again.
They're trying to heat up the catalyst as quickly as possible. I bet most of the "cheating" was in cold start and cold running conditions (which is typical for most diesels.) Catalysts only work when hot so the sooner you can heat it up, the sooner it starts working, and the sooner emissions are lower.
For sure and Judge Breyer felt 10-11 geez was worth the compromise. Subjective to each individual owner but the Judge rules!
Old 01-04-2018, 06:59 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by billyg

Back to the dealer the other day for a test drive with my tech who said I’d know best if torque and boost were lost. He did diagnostics on the boost and detected no loss of power. As a matter of fact he was able to have the beast jump 3-4 inches forward while being tested in a stationary position. He said all lips were mum when given the software package from corporate to install other than saying 1 could use up to 50% more add blue. He had no clue, zip, zilch, nada on what’s in the software update. She has more pep now than a regular Cayenne and less than before the fix.Too boot, being stuck in 3rd while she warms up is to me anyway a bunch of bs. I was advised to log a complaint with corporate.
It's not stuck in 3rd, just delayed shifting to 4th (or 5th), but it will shift at higher speeds. And it seems that when it does shift up, it stays in that gear even if you slow down some. It seems to me that in high 30s/low 40s, it's a matter of about 5-7 minutes of this delay. I don't see the big deal, given nothing else has changed (haven't had to refill adblue yet, though).

But a quicker warmup means that in addition to all the systems being cleaner (that's the theory, at least), you'll get heat faster, too!
Old 01-04-2018, 08:33 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts

Regarding the additive, it might be due to the way the cars were tested (I’ve seen exclusively here in Cali) with our Premium diesel as opposed to everyone else’s. Now I understand it to be more dependent on cold start or when engine isn’t up to proper temps that Cetane comes into play. But I’ve got to wonder that in these TDI motors, more Cetane is better. Our diesel is about 8 pts higher than just about everyone else’s.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:24 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with your analysis. I have a 2016 unpunched CD with about 400 miles on the clock. When the engine is cold (overnight lows of below zero) even after five minutes to seven minutes of warmup, all gears shift smoothly but have observed when on third gear, it stays there up between 2,500RPM to 2,700RPM (depending on coldness of engine) before it shifts to fourth gear. When the engine is fully warmed up to 200 degrees, everything shifts smoothly on all gears. Haven't used any additives yet. Hope this helps.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by skiahh
It's not stuck in 3rd, just delayed shifting to 4th (or 5th), but it will shift at higher speeds. And it seems that when it does shift up, it stays in that gear even if you slow down some. It seems to me that in high 30s/low 40s, it's a matter of about 5-7 minutes of this delay. I don't see the big deal, given nothing else has changed (haven't had to refill adblue yet, though).

But a quicker warmup means that in addition to all the systems being cleaner (that's the theory, at least), you'll get heat faster, too!
Old 01-05-2018, 12:00 PM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

If anyone is bothered by the shifting, I did confirm that a manual shift to 4th will get you out of 3rd, and the car won't shift back down. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:20 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Speaking of shifting it manually.... anybody notice that now you essentially can't short-shift, manually, out of 1st? It wants to run 1st to ~3000 no matter what.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:35 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

1st? No... mine seem to want out of 1st as quickly as possible.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:40 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Weird.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue