Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 02:48 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Anyone know the best place to get info on the Touaregs?

A friend is looking for a new SUV, but not looking to spend Cayenne dollars. There are a couple in our area that, I presume, have had the fix applied if they're for sale. What's the rate off MSRP for these things or where can I find the latest on the VWs?

Thanks!
Good question. Wife's daily is a GTI. Was at the dealer the other day to set up a service appointment and they've got a brand new '16 Touareg Diesel. It's listed at 15% off MSRP (not sure if punched or not) but that puts the sale price right at $50k. Well optioned, all the stuff I'd want on a new CD but $15-20k *less* than an equivalent CD.

I love my CD and love the Cayenne in general, I'm a Porsche die-hard, but at that price differential it's tough not to look at the platform-mates.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:03 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

What’s the typical dealer discount on the “new” CD being sold after the fix? I’m thinking of trading my CGTS on one, and my dealer rep offered me 12% off MSRP on one of these CD’s. That doesn’t sound like a very good deal. I would have thought 20%would be more like it.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:26 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

On a 2016 CD unpunched, 15% off MSRP is all day long. 20% off MSRP is decent deal. Anything over 20% is a steal.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
What’s the typical dealer discount on the “new” CD being sold after the fix? I’m thinking of trading my CGTS on one, and my dealer rep offered me 12% off MSRP on one of these CD’s. That doesn’t sound like a very good deal. I would have thought 20%would be more like it.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:31 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
On a 2016 CD unpunched, 15% off MSRP is all day long. 20% off MSRP is decent deal. Anything over 20% is a steal.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
How can I find these vehicles? My dealer doesn’t have their inventory online, and I didn’t see any on autotrader.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:29 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

How can I find these vehicles? My dealer doesn’t have their inventory online, and I didn’t see any on autotrader.
Porsche's website has a decent pre-owned search tool. I used that, cars.com and autotrader in the hunt for mine.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:32 PM
bryanwares
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dntlvet
I traded my 14 CD for an unpunched 16 CD today.
Wonder when Bosch might come through.
I am desperately looking for 2016 unpunched CD. How did you find yours? Thanks a lot!
Old 12-26-2017, 09:26 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Guys, please use the PORSCHE dealer search. Key in your zip code and it will itemize all PORSCHE dealers in your area. You have to do due diligence searching by calling them one by one, or check their inventory. They are out there. Good luck.

LINK:
https://www.porsche.com/usa/dealerse...ch-field=32003

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by bryanwares
I am desperately looking for 2016 unpunched CD. How did you find yours? Thanks a lot!
Old 12-26-2017, 09:32 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

^^^ what GT3-RS fan said. Like when the 2.0 fixed cars were finally set for sale, these CDs are not widely advertised. You just have to call the Porsche dealers
Old 12-26-2017, 10:33 PM
alterniTECH
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fields Porsche in Jacksonville, FL has about 20 of them.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:54 PM
dcastar
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Status Update... and Happy New Year by the way!

Filled up last Sunday (12/24), and then took a 300 mile round-trip to Maine with the girlfriend's family for Christmas. This week, about another 150 miles on the clock... So ~450 miles on this tank, and the thing has been running like a top. No stutters. Strong/Smoothest it's felt in a long time.

So 'what' might you ask, are the differences between this tank, and the last two with all the stuttering?
- Cold Weather... It hasn't been over 25°F . --- Remember, it seems to stutter between ~35-45°F
--and wait for it--
- I added 4oz (half dose) of Diesel Kleen winter formula to the tank. (Anti-gel, and cetane booster)

When the weather gets into 'the range' (35-45F) where it was previously stuttering regularly, I think that'll be the ultimate test. Test without the Diesel Kleen cetane booster, and how it performs. Then go to the gas station, add Diesel Kleen, and test again. If the Diesel Kleen cures the problem, I think we can safely say that the ECU isn't quite tuned correctly for the engine. (or there's something internally engine related to my Cayenne, that isn't within the operating parameters of the updated ECU tune).
Old 12-29-2017, 08:53 PM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Glad to hear that at least for now, you are issue free! Given the preponderance of folks who seem to be without your particular issue, if it recurs I'd be more inclined to think it is vehicle specific as opposed to tune-specific; just a hunch though.
I haven't added Diesel Kleen in a while (it smells god-awful, and this is a good reminder to plug my nose and dose my tank) but I'm not sure if would have 'fixed' anything aside from maybe if you got some funky fuel when they filled your tank?
Old 01-01-2018, 11:17 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

I’m a little late with this report back after the mod but hopefully it helps others. We purchased our 2014 Platinum Edition CD in May of 2016, we traded a 2014 non air suspension CD at a BMW dealer in Baton Rouge. Great overall experience btw. We purchased our first CD in June of 2015 after trading in our 2008 VW V8 Touareg with air suspension. Really missed the air ride so that is why we changed. Anyway, we had 65k miles on the CD when the mod was done on Dec 7th. The first and only thing we noticed (besides the wonderful detailing that the dealership did on our CD) was that the transmission didn’t upshift from 3rd to 4th gear “normally”. It waited until a higher rpm like 3k instead of sooner, like 2k like it originally did. And this just until it was warmed up! After that, it drove great and normal. I keep a written mpg log and I believe we are getting about 1 mpg lower in city driving but no change in highway fuel economy.
I called my service advisor and he confirmed that the software change “caused” the rpm warm up change. It also uses more adblue than before but not significant. The hardware change is a heat exchanger to heat the exhaust gas faster.
Would I buy a CD again? Absolutely!
Old 01-02-2018, 01:24 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Been below zero lately. Was off work the last week so was doing home improvement projects, etc. and wound up leaving the CD outside most of the time (to keep from opening/closing/opening/closing my heated garage...)

No real change in my observations I've posted previously. Maybe (maybe?) a little bit more "diesel clatter" for the first mile or three but frankly could be just that I never deliberately listened for it before. Even then I had to pause, listen, and "oh yeah I guess maybe there is a little bit more clack-clack-clack"...

Also looked at a new unpunched 2016 Touareg TDI when I had the wife's GTI in for an oil change. Pretty well loaded, the "Lux" package (which seems pretty damned close to the "Premium Plus" on the Cayenne) - includes keyless entry and ignition, glass roof, tow hitch, cooled seats, nav, etc. Sales dude said they were "around" 15% off (I suspect pretty negotiable). Should be able to land one for right at, or just under, $50k. Only 3/36 warranty though.

I briefly thought about it but damn I just love the look and feel of the CD so much more. I couldn't do a Touareg TDI after owning a CD.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:42 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Been below zero lately. Was off work the last week so was doing home improvement projects, etc. and wound up leaving the CD outside most of the time (to keep from opening/closing/opening/closing my heated garage...)

No real change in my observations I've posted previously. Maybe (maybe?) a little bit more "diesel clatter" for the first mile or three but frankly could be just that I never deliberately listened for it before. Even then I had to pause, listen, and "oh yeah I guess maybe there is a little bit more clack-clack-clack"...

Also looked at a new unpunched 2016 Touareg TDI when I had the wife's GTI in for an oil change. Pretty well loaded, the "Lux" package (which seems pretty damned close to the "Premium Plus" on the Cayenne) - includes keyless entry and ignition, glass roof, tow hitch, cooled seats, nav, etc. Sales dude said they were "around" 15% off (I suspect pretty negotiable). Should be able to land one for right at, or just under, $50k. Only 3/36 warranty though.

I briefly thought about it but damn I just love the look and feel of the CD so much more. I couldn't do a Touareg TDI after owning a CD.
We looked hard at a Touareg TDI Lux before we got our CD. It is a great vehicle, but you can definitely feel the difference in driving dynamics between the two. It was more than enough to convince even my wife that it was worth the upcharge.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:38 AM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With recent sub zero cold weather Anyone have diesel gel issues ? And do you add anti gel fluid ?

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue