Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 10:15 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

No, but it'll become harder to find a place to fill up again.

I used to mentally catalog every single filling station back when I first got my diesel P/U, because most didn't have the green handles. Now it's pretty ubiquitous, so I assume most all have a diesel pump. I'll have to go back to keeping track... and monitoring the turnover, too, because old diesel is bad!
Old 06-17-2017, 10:17 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
No, but it'll become harder to find a place to fill up again.

I used to mentally catalog every single filling station back when I first got my diesel P/U, because most didn't have the green handles. Now it's pretty ubiquitous, so I assume most all have a diesel pump. I'll have to go back to keeping track... and monitoring the turnover, too, because old diesel is bad!
Just use GasBuddy
Old 06-17-2017, 12:37 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Diesel passenger cars I'm sure will return to their previous levels of popularity. I don't see diesel pickup trucks going away any time soon though.

That might make diesel a little bit harder to come by... not that it's on every corner station now, but it wasn't completely impossible to find before. Might mean we do like I used to back in the day when I had a diesel pickup and just be more proactive in planning fuel stops.

I do not anticipate diesel fuel going away completely.
I live in Houston. I'm sure as hell not worried about finding diesel for a long, long time.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:42 AM
SignDoc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will I still get half my settlment

My pristine 2015 Cayenne Diesel, almost every option with just 12,000 miles is now just a steel frame due to a fire in my house. It has a full tank of diesel which made the fire extremely hot. Does anyone know how this will affect the first half of my settlement?
Old 06-19-2017, 09:44 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Right now I would think your diesel settlement should be no where near your highest priority. Sorry for your loss, any idea as to what started the fire
Old 06-19-2017, 09:58 AM
SignDoc
Advanced

Had just bought a new teak outdoor dining set. I used a 2 cans of teak oil on the wood...it pretty much soaks in but after 30 minutes you wipe off any excess with rags. I used about 6 rags that hardly had any oil on them when I was done. I threw these in one of big boxes with the packing materials and woke up at 6pm after hearing the explosion. Half the house was already on fire then. The fire marshall believes it was the rags that combusted ...there was nothing else in the garage that could have done it. The box was next to my Cayenne....the heat was so bad it melted half of my wife's BMW that was parked outside. Both kids home from college so we were fortunate.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:50 AM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

So sorry for your loss of property but very happy to hear no injuries! Oil soaked rags and spontaneous combustion is terrifying. I learned the hard way in a home garage years ago. Metal cans with totally sealed lids in a home garage are a must.

I hope that you re-build and recovery losses quickly.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:29 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Wow! Ya know, years ago a friend of mine told me, "Oil soaked rags spontaneously combust". I didn't believe him.

I've since learned (to my shock and awe) its at least partially true (he tried telling me that rags that had motor oil would do it... which isn't correct... but other oils, wood stains, etc. clearly are..)

Crazy man. Cars can be replaced, the house can be rebuilt (maybe with some garage upgrades?) Family can't. Glad you and yours are OK.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:38 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I thought I was having a bad morning. Sorry for your loss, but glad everyone is OK.

Oily rags are indeed a big danger. Either store them in a well ventilated area and not in a pile or a fireproof container

Amazing that for as bad as the garage looks, the rest of the house looks pretty good.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:50 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

SignDog, so sorry to see this happen. As for your question, I think it depends whether it is totaled or not. See the language from the settlement website:

"If your vehicle is totaled after January 31, 2017, you may be eligible to receive some benefits, but you will not be eligible for the full Buyback amount or Trade-In credit, or a Reduced Emissions Modification.

Keep in mind that if you tender a claim to your insurance company for an inoperable or totaled but otherwise Eligible Vehicle, you may wish to consider whether the insurance company will pay you benefits equivalent to those offered under the Class Action Settlement before surrendering your vehicle. You may want to consider repairing your vehicle."

Looks to me that, when determining the value of your totaled CD, you may ask the insurance company to add the settlement $ to it.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:10 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by visitador
Looks to me that, when determining the value of your totaled CD, you may ask the insurance company to add the settlement $ to it.
This +958.

If you haven't already, get your paperwork in so that you have the documented offer for what VW would have paid you. Then once you have that document, call the claim line and find out (and get it in writing) what the payout will be now that it's totaled.

You should be able to use the documentation of those two numbers to make your insurance pay the difference.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:59 PM
SignDoc
Advanced

Default Burnt Cayenne

I emailed the class attorney Elizabeth and received a phone call back. I am eligible for the full payment (before/after fix) plus the Bosch payment. Obviously, I am not eligible for a buyback if that occurs....because the insurance company will have the title once they settle with me.

Interesting tidbit....I emailed the owner of my Porsche Dealership asking if there was anyway they could somehow snag me a 2015/2016 Cayenne Diesel since I know there are a lot sitting around. His response is below:

"We have 2015s that we should be able to sell in the next week or so."

I know he has new 2015s there, not sure what this means but will find out.

If you haven't already, get your paperwork in so that you have the documented offer for what VW would have paid you. Then once you have that document, call the claim line and find out (and get it in writing) what the payout will be now that it's totaled.

You should be able to use the documentation of those two numbers to make your insurance pay the difference.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-19-2017, 06:00 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

SignDoc,

Have you already taken your CD to a dealer for Porsche to physically check the car? If no, what did Elizabeth say about how to get the first half of the repair participation payment. Just curious
Old 06-19-2017, 06:02 PM
SignDoc
Advanced

I have not taken the car into the dealership. Once the insurance company settles the claim, they will take title of the vehicle. She said at that point, I need to get the documentation showing this...then call the claims number and they will process my claim for the 100 percent payout. I will get it all upfront since the car is totalled. Obviously, I will not be eligible for any buyback program or additional payments.

Have you already taken your CD to a dealer for Porsche to physically check the car? If no, what did Elizabeth say about how to get the first half of the repair participation payment. Just curious[/QUOTE]
Old 06-19-2017, 06:24 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SignDoc
Obviously, I will not be eligible for any buyback program or additional payments.
Even once you get the payment from VW, keep tabs on the situation. IF this goes to a buyback, while you can't get anything directly from VW you might be able to get something more out of the insurance.

If what they pay you to total the car is less than the buyback amount, that should be easy to argue for the difference. If it's equal/more than you could have gotten from VAG you still might have a claim, but you'd need to talk to someone that really knows how to deal with such claims (e.g. insurance lawyer).

Might be one of those things that isn't worth fighting, but it's always best to keep your head up so you can make sure you get what is owed you.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue