Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Easy upgrade for Cayenne 958 Bose tweeters (with a little bit of tech from Ferrari)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 04:46 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Be interesting to see how that graph looks at a higher but still moderate listening level, like 90dB?
Old 05-27-2018, 05:55 PM
Elberoth
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Any idea how to unclip this connector ?

I have spent over 20 min today trying to remove the connector from the tweeter, but to no avail. There is a hole in a connector with sth that seems to be clip, I tried to push it, but got nowhere.

Here is a Burmester tweeter (same connector):

Old 05-27-2018, 07:31 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Elberoth
Any idea how to unclip this connector ?

I have spent over 20 min today trying to remove the connector from the tweeter, but to no avail. There is a hole in a connector with sth that seems to be clip, I tried to push it, but got nowhere.

Here is a Burmester tweeter (same connector):

I don’t know if this is the RIGHT answer but I use a VERY thin & narrow flat head inserted parallel to the connector to wedge underneath that opening and it seems to work. Conversely, you SHOULD be able to insert something into that opening, press down, and have it release but I have never had any luck with that. Did Scuderia ever respond as to if they would give you any consideration or adjustment on cost due to the condition they arrived in? Did you have a general estimate on shipping to US (Florida)? Please advise, thanks! -Dom
Old 05-27-2018, 08:12 PM
Elberoth
Racer

OK, problem solved. It seems I was just not pushing the clip (via that opening) hard enough. It is best to use some small torx or allen key, as a flat head screwdriver can 'bite' into the plastic connector and make removing it harder.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:45 PM
Elberoth
Racer

Ferrari tweeters installed. I have found out that they are equipped with 4.7uF capacitor - the same as the OE Bose tweeters - which forms a 1-st order crossover @ 8kHz. A good starting point.

Both tweeters measure much closer than I would have thought:

The plot is much smoother around 1kHz with the JBL/Ferrari tweeter and less peaky @ 10kHz. The upgraded tweeter also sounds cleaner and more detailed (even though it is ~1dB lower in level).

I have ordered a good quality metallised polypropylene film capacitors (Monacor MKPA) to replace that $0.01 electrolytic cap that comes with the tweeters. That should open up the sound even further, as the quality of the capacitor forming the high pass filter network, has a substantial influence on sound quality. I hope it will fit, as the space is tight under the tweeter.

I haven't got a reply from Scuderia Car Parts regarding the small dimples on the tweeters' aluminium domes yet. I have tried & measured both the one perfect tweeter that I got and one with dimples. As expected, they measure and sound exactly the same. I decided to keep my pair (one perfect and one with dimples) and send the remaining 4 for a refund (unless someone wants them).

For the price, I think the upgrade is worthwile.

BTW - I highly doubt you will be able to get the tweeters in a perfect cosmetic condition from Scuderia Car Parts. It looks like a manufacturing issue and I doubt Scuderia will be willing to order a larger supply of those tweeters from Ferrari (they are to order only) and the open each and every tweeter to search for a perfect one.

Last edited by Elberoth; 05-28-2018 at 03:43 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:09 PM
Danyol
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ferrari tweeters installed. I have found out that they are equipped with 4.7uF capacitor - the same as the OE Bose tweeters - which forms a 1-st order crossover @ 8kHz. A good starting point.

Both tweeters measure much closer than I would have thought:

The plot is much smoother around 1kHz with the JBL/Ferrari tweeter and less peaky @ 10kHz. The upgraded tweeter also sounds cleaner and more detailed (even though it is ~1dB lower in level).

I have ordered a good quality metallised polypropylene film capacitors (Monacor MKPA) to replace that $0.01 electrolytic cap that comes with the tweeters. That should open up the sound even further, as the quality of the capacitor forming the high pass filter network, has a substantial influence on sound quality. I hope it will fit, as the space is tight under the tweeter.

I haven't got a reply from Scuderia Car Parts regarding the small dimples on the tweeters' aluminium domes yet. I have tried & measured both the one perfect tweeter that I got and one with dimples. As expected, they measure and sound exactly the same. I decided to keep my pair (one perfect and one with dimples) and send the remaining 4 for a refund (unless someone wants them).

For the price, I think the upgrade is worthwile.

BTW - I highly doubt you will be able to get the tweeters in a perfect cosmetic condition from Scuderia Car Parts. It looks like a manufacturing issue and I doubt Scuderia will be willing to order a larger supply of those tweeters from Ferrari (they are to order only) and the open each and every tweeter to search for a perfect one.
Thanks guys, I've been following this, any update on improved sound?
Old 06-03-2018, 10:33 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Elberoth, interesting curves. Almost looks to me like a "loudness" compensation at low volume. Dunno if the Bose has "loudness". For those not into audio - it's specific tailoring of the response curve to attempt to make low volume sound - sound the same as sound at a higher volume. The ear is not a linear device.. and the perception of response is part of the non-linearity. Older audio equipment used a special volume potentiometer to bring in a slight boost to low and high frequencies when the volume was set to lower levels - the louder it got - the less compensation was offered. On better sets - this "feature" was switchable for on/off. On other equipment - it was just there and you had to live with it.

It would be interesting to see what the curves do at some different volumes.

I'd also love to see what the Burmester puts out as a curve... any in your neighborhood you can borrow for a few hours? And I'd love to see what curves the different compensation selections built into the Burmester do.
The following users liked this post:
cbracerx (02-14-2020)
Old 06-04-2018, 12:25 AM
Danyol
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a typical Bose approach, no? Bose, the butt of many audiophile jokes over the years. Not kept up recently, are they still known for producing overpriced underperforming equipment?
Old 06-04-2018, 03:59 AM
Elberoth
Racer

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with Burmester equipped Cayenne to measure the car. But I don't expect it to be much different.

Yes, Bose is still making the crap they used to 20 and 30 years ago.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:58 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with Burmester equipped Cayenne to measure the car. But I don't expect it to be much different.
Would it be possible to run some curves at different volumes? See if the "loudness" compensation exists (and is causing the bump in bass and treble)?
Old 06-14-2018, 08:27 AM
Elberoth
Racer

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Would it be possible to run some curves at different volumes? See if the "loudness" compensation exists (and is causing the bump in bass and treble)?
I will try to do that.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:36 AM
Elberoth
Racer

I just got the capacitors on the OE Bose tweeters replaced. Those caps are directly in the signal path, so their quality directly affects sound quality.

The OE caps were Bennic bipolar electrolitic type - worst of the worst. Their only advantage is small size and low cost.

I have replaced them with Monacor MKPA metallised polypropylene film capacitors - the biggest quality caps I thought would fit (4.7uF film caps tend to be big - the better the bigger they are; the Monacor ones are still relatively small). I will let them play for a couple of days to burn them in and next week I will compare them again to the upgraded Ferrari F12 aluminium dome tweeters.

BTW - make sure to put the heat shrink wrap around the caps' legs to avoid short and cover the cap with Tesa fabric tape to avoid any rattles.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:02 PM
Elberoth
Racer

I have tested the OE Bose tweeters with the upgraded MKP caps vs the Ferrari F12 tweeters today. The F12 tweeters are still better. The new caps have helped somehow, but not as much as I have thought. Probably not worth the hassle - even though they were dirt cheap @ $3 per piece, it took me way too much time to install them to make the upgrade worthwile.

I'm keeping the Ferrari tweeters. Scuderia have offered me a refund (or replacement) for my tweeters. Since the damage I have mentioned is only cosmetic, I decided to keep one perfect and one tweeter with dimples, and send the remaining 4 back.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:01 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

I ended up with an extra pair of these now that I went mental with the audio system in my CD.. $180 shipped to CONUS for the pair

EDIT: SOLD, thanks!

Last edited by Eskimo1; 03-02-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:30 PM
Slickdvl
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Just installed them from Eskimo - took all of 30 minutes. Didn’t really notice a difference but I’m no audiophile.

Quick Reply: Easy upgrade for Cayenne 958 Bose tweeters (with a little bit of tech from Ferrari)