Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2016 Cayenne auto start/stop: ARRRRRRRGH!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 02:41 PM
theCayenne
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Cayenne auto start/stop: ARRRRRRRGH!!!!

Hi all,

Just got into a MY 2016 Cayenne GTS. I'm really loving the vehicle with the exception of the fact that starting in 2016 the auto start/stop setting is not remembered. So each time you start the car you have to remember to press the auto start/stop button. I know this sounds totally trivial, but it was something that drove me bonkers in my 2013 535i. I just couldn't remember to press the button each time I started the car (I'm a slow learner). With the BMW you could have the dealer reprogram the firmware to have the setting remembered. I called the service dept at my Porsche dealership and they claim that there is no way to reprogram the setting for 2016 vehicles. Wondering if anyone else has gotten a different response?
Old 07-10-2015, 04:51 PM
Damage
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts

I end up turning it off in stop and go traffic. Would be nice if it remembered the setting. I find it only useful when you're driving around local streets and stop at stoplights long enough.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:56 PM
X801DeathMetalX
4th Gear

Unfortunately, it cannot be turned off permanently for the 2016 models as it was included in the EPA ratings and the default must be set to "On" to stay within their guidelines. No matter the settings you have saved, that is one of the features that will revert to "on" even when programmed with the PIWIS tester.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:45 PM
ZZinger
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I have that feature on my wifes 2014 Range Rover supercharged, I hate it! I have trained myself to hit the button every time I drive but when I forget and the car turns off at a light I always am like ****and I hit the button again

How do you like your new GTS? I am considering a 16' Cayenne GTS as my new daily driver. How is the sound?
Old 07-10-2015, 11:36 PM
flyfisher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a diesel so it doesn't have *** (good name for it), but I recently had a CS loaner which did. I forgot all about it and when I hit the first red light and she turned off I was WTF is going on before I remembered. I guess you get used to it and remember to turn it off but what a pita. I'll stay with the diesel.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:42 AM
theCayenne
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ZZinger
I have that feature on my wifes 2014 Range Rover supercharged, I hate it! I have trained myself to hit the button every time I drive but when I forget and the car turns off at a light I always am like ****and I hit the button again

How do you like your new GTS? I am considering a 16' Cayenne GTS as my new daily driver. How is the sound?
Except for the auto start/stop issue, I love it. The sound is in my opinion muted even with sports exhaust enabled.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:08 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Any chance there is a fuse that controls it?
Old 07-12-2015, 06:48 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Any chance there is a fuse that controls it?
Worth a shot for sure (easy thing to try) but I can't imagine it'd be that easy - I'm happy to be proved wrong though......
Old 07-12-2015, 07:35 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

this was the worst feature of my 535 that car is gone.
my wife 235 once set off stays off
my diesel does not have it
i hate this damn setting. stop and go traffic it is the worst. shuts off at worst times.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:44 PM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

I too have a 2016 Cayenne since July. I also have a 2013 MB C Class with auto stop start. While we love the Cayenne, the *** is annoying and dangerous. Firstly, it is programmed to shut down at 4Km/hr. as per the Owner's Manual. If you are slowing gently to a stop you lose the power steering which isn't good if you are trying to slightly correct the vehicle position. My MB doesn't shut off until a complete stop. The worst thing is that on three occasions when I took my foot off the brake the car restarted and lunged forward. I needed to be very quick back on the brake to slow it down. If a pedestrian were in front of the car it would have been dangerous with someone not so quick back on the brake. I'm guessing it has to do with the programming where the engine restarts under certain conditions and it just happened to occur as I took my foot off the pedal. It happened to my wife also and makes her nervous. This never happens with the Mercedes system. I have instructed my wife to always shut it off as a safety measure. I will get it to the dealer but I am sure they cannot adjust it. We love the vehicle having previously owned a MB ML for 8 years, but Porsche needs to do something about their *** programming.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:56 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jtsmith18
I too have a 2016 Cayenne since July. I also have a 2013 MB C Class with auto stop start. While we love the Cayenne, the *** is annoying and dangerous. Firstly, it is programmed to shut down at 4Km/hr. as per the Owner's Manual. If you are slowing gently to a stop you lose the power steering which isn't good if you are trying to slightly correct the vehicle position. My MB doesn't shut off until a complete stop. The worst thing is that on three occasions when I took my foot off the brake the car restarted and lunged forward. I needed to be very quick back on the brake to slow it down. If a pedestrian were in front of the car it would have been dangerous with someone not so quick back on the brake. I'm guessing it has to do with the programming where the engine restarts under certain conditions and it just happened to occur as I took my foot off the pedal. It happened to my wife also and makes her nervous. This never happens with the Mercedes system. I have instructed my wife to always shut it off as a safety measure. I will get it to the dealer but I am sure they cannot adjust it. We love the vehicle having previously owned a MB ML for 8 years, but Porsche needs to do something about their *** programming.
I thought power steering is electric so I wouldn't think you would lose it when *** engages
Old 12-29-2015, 12:57 PM
jtsmith18
Racer

I'll check if it's electric, but it definitely shuts off.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:05 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jtsmith18
I'll check if it's electric, but it definitely shuts off.
I have a e-hybrid so probably different but for you it sounds like *** would be even more dangerous if power steering shuts off when engine is "sailing" at highway speeds.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:40 PM
jay958
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is annoying to have that option, does more harm to spark plugs and coils if mot just the engine, should give an option to delete that thing
Old 12-29-2015, 02:20 PM
jtsmith18
Racer

I just talked to the service manager and he thinks it might be the AC compressor kicking in just as we take our foot off the brake, which would explain why it only happens infrequently. The idle always bumps up when the AC comes on. That is normal. He might be right, he also confirmed that the engine shuts off with Auto SS before a complete stop. He has emailed Porsche to see if there is a re-flash that might help. We'll see!!

Quick Reply: 2016 Cayenne auto start/stop: ARRRRRRRGH!!!!