Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2016 Cayenne auto start/stop: ARRRRRRRGH!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 03:15 PM
9114SCV
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I had it installed by a shop that does work on Porsches. Took them 15 mins. I gave them the install instructions and video posted by the product seller. They charged me $50
Old 01-15-2018, 06:58 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 9114SCV
Regarding the warranty - don't ask; don't tell
+1. Mine has been in for warranty work, including a PIWIS update, and there were no mentions of any problems. I would not have put it in mine if there was a chance of the dealer/PCNA voiding anything.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:52 PM
GoneTurbo958
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you everyone for the info on the warranty. I will go ahead an order one today and give it a try.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:43 AM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

I think I'm going to take a crack at the memory module. Sounds great. That said, I found a different hack with one drawback. If you're towing a trailer stop/start is turned off. So, I believe that plugging in the trailer light module will defeat it. The downsides are: 1) having the plug there all the time, and 2) you lose LCA when I really don't want to lose.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:27 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stiles_s
If you're towing a trailer stop/start is turned off.
Does trailer mode also affect shifting patterns? I know it used to on other vehicles I've driven.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:39 PM
PDX958
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been driving a 2018 Macan the past few days as a loaner and found by accident that the state of the auto stop/start button seems to be saved as part of the key-based memory settings on the driver's door.

For example, if I turn OFF the auto stop/start and then set the memory for the current key, it remains off the next time I return to the car and start it up. Then if I turn ON the auto stop/start (go back to the default) and set the memory again, it will be in the default state the next time I turn on the car. Anyone else notice this?

Will try this on my Cayenne when I get it back from the dealer.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:30 AM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Noticed the same thing with a loaner Macan and was quite frustrated. Our Cayenne .2s don't work that way unfortunately.

I bought a memory module and chickened out about half-way through and put things back together. even something simple like getting the shifter apart was really tough to do without breaking the plastic insert (which I did). Just a word of caution for folks. I may get brave enough to take another run at it later.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:40 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Noticed the same thing with a loaner Macan and was quite frustrated. Our Cayenne .2s don't work that way unfortunately.

I bought a memory module and chickened out about half-way through and put things back together. even something simple like getting the shifter apart was really tough to do without breaking the plastic insert (which I did). Just a word of caution for folks. I may get brave enough to take another run at it later.
As car jobs go, it's easy to install. I know as I was the test subject to figure out how to put it into my '17 GTS. Which 'insert' did you break? The trickiest part is getting the shifter **** off the stalk. The rest shouldn't have much risk of anything breaking.

The key to removing any of the parts that are held into place with clips or friction-fit connections is knowing where those points are, and the push/pull direction necessary.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:14 AM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by jtsmith18
At 2 to 3 km/hr you cannot move the steering wheel enough to restart the engine. If I could muscle it my wife certainly cannot. This is just bad design, it should not shut down until a complete stop.

There is no driver error, the surging occurs before my foot ever gets to the gas pedal. I suspect the service manager is right, it's the AC coming on. Again, bad programming.

There is never any shut down at speeds above 4km/hr.

Of course putting it in sport will negate the Auto SS, but so will turning it off.

Love the vehicle, but expected better programming from Porsche. I have a 2013 C2S and a 1989 964, so I really appreciate their engineering, but they aren't perfect. They really should reprogram their Auto SS. But I don't expect they will.
My 2013 only activates when I come to a stop, and sometimes it won't even activate for some reason even when I have it activated (not enough battery juice or a fail safe system).

Yours must have something wrong with it, that sounds dangerous as all get out!
Old 01-16-2019, 12:05 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

It was as of the 2017 model year onward that it defaults (in the US market) to automatically re-enabling the auto stop/start feature. Prior years that have the feature would save the setting to the key. Not for 2017+
Old 01-16-2019, 12:13 PM
PDX958
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang, was really hoping this would work on the Cayenne, but figured someone likely would've already figured it out if that was the case. Wonder why they treat the Macan and Cayenne differently.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:22 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

They're different vehicles and have different control systems. The 911 and Cayenne use one type of control bus (LIN) for this, the Macan apparently use something different. Thus it was apparently pretty easy to adapt the 911 module for use in a Cayenne, but not as simple for the Macan.

As to why the feature and key storage changed, that's likely a result of fuel efficiency requirements. Defaulting it to automatic makes it less likely drivers will disable it, and thus improve fuel consumption. That an '18 Macan still tracks it via key likely means someone didn't get the memo to cripple that for a US market vehicle.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:37 PM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
My 2013 only activates when I come to a stop, and sometimes it won't even activate for some reason even when I have it activated (not enough battery juice or a fail safe system).

Yours must have something wrong with it, that sounds dangerous as all get out!
They totally changed the start/stop with the 958.2 which I think is 2016. I’ve had it reflashed to solve other issues but that has not changed the stop/start. I have checked out the Audi Q7 and it doesn’t behave this way. There are other engineering design issues such as starting the engine after start/stop but not programming it so the AC compressor can’t kick in at the same time and have the car lurch forward. Scary too, but that’s for another day.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:44 PM
projectd18
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jtsmith18

They totally changed the start/stop with the 958.2 which I think is 2016. I’ve had it reflashed to solve other issues but that has not changed the stop/start. I have checked out the Audi Q7 and it doesn’t behave this way. There are other engineering design issues such as starting the engine after start/stop but not programming it so the AC compressor can’t kick in at the same time and have the car lurch forward. Scary too, but that’s for another day.

They changed it since 958.2 2015 model..super annoying feature which you have to turn off every time
Old 01-19-2019, 11:41 AM
Chetured
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by projectd18
They changed it since 958.2 2015 model..super annoying feature which you have to turn off every time
if your battery is weak it will permanently stay off

Quick Reply: 2016 Cayenne auto start/stop: ARRRRRRRGH!!!!