Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2016 Cayenne auto start/stop: ARRRRRRRGH!!!!

Old 01-17-2016, 11:57 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Thanks Rennaissance,

So what I hear you saying is that my 2012 958 CTT is working flawlessly, actually better than most, since it does NOT shut off early in the warm up period.

AND, that since mine has "Memory", and thus it always stays as I have left it from the previous drive, that I ONLY set it to turn off when I KNOW I will be sitting at a very long light.

And so I LOVE it. Great technology. Gives me the CHOICE to save fuel when I want to.

(Btw, we have LOTS of long lights here in MD - In fact, these "smart lights" they have here not only capture your damn speed - which is a WHOLE NUTHA rant on our Gov't watchful eye,.. but the length of the light is dependent upon the time of day and take into account high commute timeframes, etc. One light when I come home from hockey games after midnight is over 5 min long!! - I usually go another longer route to avoid that one!!... anyway,... sidebarz ...)

=Steve
Old 01-17-2016, 01:41 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennaissance
From the user comfort perspective, A-S-S may or may not make sense. Depends on your preferences.

From the fuel economy perspective, the effects are negligible. The restart itself is inefficient. The engine needs to be off for at least 16 seconds just to save the fuel that the subsequent startup will consume. Time your typical traffic stop interval - I doubt it lasts 16 seconds.

Now from the longevity point of view, the effects are also negligible IMHO. The auto start is far more gentle than a normal startup. The one thing to watch out for are auto starts at below normal operating temperature.
I've seen calculations that state it is 3 seconds for the break-even point, not 16, which does include factoring in the fuel volume required to recharge the battery drain occurring during the stopped period. 16 is a lot and I'd imagine would negate any benefit.

Your prior comment about the 958 CTT exhaust noise at idle is funny as I just inquired with my service guys to determine if my muffler was shot!

I've also heard the complaint from drivers of the new model that the steering goes dead upon approaching a light. It's too bad the PIWIS can't change the programming option. It can on the 958.1's... though I can't imagine anyone would want it always reverting to the ON status, as the default on 958.1's is to remember the last setting used.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:46 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Auto Start/Stop does not bother me. I've gotten the hang of modulating the brake pedal to kick the engine back on as the cross light goes yellow, avoiding that sudden jerk if you just hit the throttle. I also turn it off occasional in traffic, but prefer it to default to engaged. Just not a big deal for me. And in my 2012 it only engages once the Cayenne has come to a complete stop.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:32 PM
Rennaissance
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Thanks Rennaissance,

So what I hear you saying is that my 2012 958 CTT is working flawlessly, actually better than most, since it does NOT shut off early in the warm up period.
I'm glad that yours does not; my 2012 CTT shuts off early in the warm up period. Not sure why the difference.

... since mine has "Memory", and thus it always stays as I have left it from the previous drive, that I ONLY set it to turn off when I KNOW I will be sitting at a very long light.

And so I LOVE it. Great technology. Gives me the CHOICE to save fuel when I want to.
Yes, totally agreed. The memory makes the crucial difference.

One light when I come home from hockey games after midnight is over 5 min long!! - I usually go another longer route to avoid that one!!... anyway,... sidebarz ...)

=Steve
Wow, I would die of slavery if I had to wait that long for a light. A detour is the way to go
Old 01-18-2016, 08:35 PM
Rennaissance
Advanced

Originally Posted by garrett376
I've seen calculations that state it is 3 seconds for the break-even point, not 16...
Garrett, I have not seen calculations, just the figure. It was stated in a car magazine. Possibly Auto, Motor und Sport.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:51 AM
Kanuk
1st Gear

I took my 2016 Cayenne to my dealer hoping that they could disable it as well. They say no way. I'm guessing that legality (from Porsche's perspective) plays a hand in this. Hopefully some propellerhead out there comes up with a hack. I drive mine in Sport mode all the time so I don't notice it all that much. But, it's still irritating.

It's interesting (to me) that the sales staff conveniently seem to forget to mention this before you sign on the bottom line. I found out about it after I left the dealership. It could be a deal breaker some folks.

Every new iteration of these cars loses functionality to the on board computers. They're taking some of the fun out of that's for sure.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:58 AM
cdog533
Advanced

Guys, I'm a new Cayenne GTS owner and this drives me nuts as well.

I know the Jaguar F-Type guys were able to defeat this as follows: The F-type used a small battery, not the main battery, for the start/stop restarting. They simply removed the small battery which deactivated the system.

Anyone know if Porsche does it the same way?
Old 05-19-2016, 12:17 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,135 Likes on 3,908 Posts

Originally Posted by trusevich
We at T-Design9.com developed a memory module for 981/718/911 cars. Simple plug-and-play installation. It remembers the important buttons (sport,A-SS, PSE) setting over restarts. But it's way beyond PIWIS setup that all the dealer can do. If there's a guaranteed demand interest from Macan/Cayenne owners - we might work on that next.

Vlad / T-Design9.com
Interesting. I have an '09 Cayenne Turbo S and would like the car to remember a default driving mode and suspension height setting if your module could be made to work with it too. I like the car to start in 1st gear, not 2nd which it only does in Sport mode, not Normal mode, then I like the Normal suspension setting for normal driving, and I prefer the normal ride height so there's some extra suspension travel for normal driving. The only way to achieve this today is:
Start Car
Press the Sport Button (lowers the ride height and stiffens the suspension)
Press the Suspension Normal Buttom
Hit the ride height toggle to come up one level to Normal

So instead of starting the car and having to do 3 different button presses, I'd just like it to start in these settings. Ideally I wouldn't have to be in Sport mode either to have the transmission start in 1st gear, but I don't believe you can change since it's deeper in the vehicle system program.

Thanks and let me know.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:58 PM
trusevich
AutoX

I'm not very knowledgeable about Cayenne at the moment. But I would guess 2009 is different from current model? I was thinking about current model, as A S S is the biggest problem for most people.

Vlad
Old 05-19-2016, 02:04 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by trusevich
We at T-Design9.com developed a memory module for 981/718/911 cars. Simple plug-and-play installation. It remembers the important buttons (sport,A-SS, PSE) setting over restarts. But it's way beyond PIWIS setup that all the dealer can do. If there's a guaranteed demand interest from Macan/Cayenne owners - we might work on that next.
I would love such an option, but from your website it looks like you are doing something to the existing button module rather than plug-in adapter somewhere on the CAN bus.

Maybe I just need to know more about it, but on the face of it I'd rather not have the factory part messed with.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:11 AM
trusevich
AutoX

Originally Posted by gnat
I would love such an option, but from your website it looks like you are doing something to the existing button module rather than plug-in adapter somewhere on the CAN bus.

Maybe I just need to know more about it, but on the face of it I'd rather not have the factory part messed with.
Understood. Messing with factory parts are not for the faint of heart Although those 911 owners who did - are very happy.

But the new module is straight plug-n-play. No messing with factory parts. Check the site again, I just updated it yesterday, because I just got them in...
http://t-design9.com/memory_module.html

If I only could find a test Porsche Cayenne/Macan in Michigan... Sometimes I don't see another Porsche for weeks!
Old 05-24-2016, 02:21 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If I was in Michigan I'd be your test mule.

Try to get a diesel to test on too. We don't have the *** (what a great acronym!) feature and it would be nice to know the sport mode works.

As well as sport mode, remembering the last PSM setting would be nice too.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:54 PM
FirstCayenne
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garrett376
I've seen calculations that state it is 3 seconds for the break-even point, not 16, which does include factoring in the fuel volume required to recharge the battery drain occurring during the stopped period. 16 is a lot and I'd imagine would negate any benefit.

Your prior comment about the 958 CTT exhaust noise at idle is funny as I just inquired with my service guys to determine if my muffler was shot!

I've also heard the complaint from drivers of the new model that the steering goes dead upon approaching a light. It's too bad the PIWIS can't change the programming option. It can on the 958.1's... though I can't imagine anyone would want it always reverting to the ON status, as the default on 958.1's is to remember the last setting used.
I have heard that too. BMW, for example, states that if idle is longer than 4 seconds it is more efficient to shut the engine off.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:42 AM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Brought my 2016 to the dealer to check for the brake pedal clip, and asked them to reflash the computer in case they made changes to the auto stop start. Now it has to be almost at a complete stop before it shuts down. Before it shut off at 4 km/hr which was really dumb.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:18 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 249 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by jtsmith18
Brought my 2016 to the dealer to check for the brake pedal clip, and asked them to reflash the computer in case they made changes to the auto stop start. Now it has to be almost at a complete stop before it shuts down. Before it shut off at 4 km/hr which was really dumb.
That is dumb, shutting down at speed. What car? 991.2? Mine 981 only shuts down AFTER a complete stop.
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 Cayenne auto start/stop: ARRRRRRRGH!!!!