Diesel Fuel Filler Adapter - Cayenne Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 05:30 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts
Cool Diesel Fuel Filler Adapter - Cayenne Diesel

Well, we are now an all-Porsche family. My wife turned in her 2011 BMW 535i and WAS going to lease a new 2014 BMW X3. She test-drove a Cayenne Diesel on a whim - AND LIKED IT!

So now, we have a 2013 Cayenne Diesel, a 2008 Cayenne GTS, a 1979 930, a 1989 Targa, a 1973 911S and a 2001 GT3 Cup!!! But I digress........

For those of you who own, or have ordered, a Cayenne Diesel, you may want to invest $15 or so in a VW part - part number 000-072-709,
Diesel Fueling Adapter Diesel Fueling Adapter

As it turns out, the Cayenne's ultra-low emissions diesel fuel tanks have a specialized fuel filler neck designed to prevent fueling with an unleaded fuel head. Unfortunately, there is NO mandated size for these diesel fuel heads on filling station pumps (as there are for unleaded fuel pump heads), and many service stations have not changed to these specialized pump heads. The problem? The older diesel fuel heads WILL NOT WORK in the new Cayenne Diesel fuel filler neck (or VW's or Audi's for that matter). This is where the VW adapter comes into play. Nice set contained in a closed plastic container, and VW even included a pair of nitrile gloves!

Porsche is supposed to intro their version of this adapter soon. But I'm sure the price will DOUBLE and the only differences will be a Porsche logo and a Porsche part number!

Just an FYI for any fellow Rennlisters who pick up a Cayenne Diesel.

BTW, the car is pretty cool 405 pond-feet of torque! Not too shabby. Some owners have seen 37MPG on long highway trips!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:15 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. Good to have handy. I have a Touareg TDI and the adapter is important when you might find a station without the thinner nozzle. Keep in mind, you will need to control the flow using the adapter as the wider nozzles pump at a faster rate.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

^ Yep, I figure that's why VW includes some nitrile gloves in the package! Nothing like "wearing" diesel fuel to work!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:36 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually use gloves like that at every fill up. Bought a bag of nitrile gloves at Home Depot...50 bags for $7. Some diesel pump handles are nasty.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:00 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Americans are finally - albeit begrudgingly - beginning to accept diesel engines in personal vehicles. Four new diesel vehicles are being introduced in the MY2014 lineup. One can only hope that American refueling stations will eventually follow the lead of their European counterparts, and install disposable plastic glove dispensers at each diesel pump.

//greg//
Old 07-12-2013, 09:20 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

VW first issused a TSB whereby a large yellow decal was placed around the fuel neck saying DIESEL, along with a large yellow decal on the inside of the fuel filler door saying DIESEL.

Didn't stop people from filling their diesel tanks with gasoline and destroying the engine ... enter lawyers.

VW then issued another TSB to install an adapter into the fuel neck assembly, designed to only accept a diesel fuel filler.
My Golf TDi got this installed at its last service appointment. I only found out about it when it took me 25 minutes to fill a 14 gallon tank. Apparently it does have issues with various fuel flow rates. Tried 2 diesel stations in 2 different states, same result.

Brought car back to VW, asked them to please remove the filler neck adapter, everything now works.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:22 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Toby,
Remember, you are driving a vehicle that does not exist.

Dr. W. was quoted many times saying "there will never be a diesel Porsche" ... instead he preferred the "Let's make some S'mores" Cayenne Hybrid.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
VW first issused a TSB whereby a large yellow decal was placed around the fuel neck saying DIESEL, along with a large yellow decal on the inside of the fuel filler door saying DIESEL.

Didn't stop people from filling their diesel tanks with gasoline and destroying the engine ... enter lawyers.

VW then issued another TSB to install an adapter into the fuel neck assembly, designed to only accept a diesel fuel filler.
My Golf TDi got this installed at its last service appointment. I only found out about it when it took me 25 minutes to fill a 14 gallon tank. Apparently it does have issues with various fuel flow rates. Tried 2 diesel stations in 2 different states, same result.

Brought car back to VW, asked them to please remove the filler neck adapter, everything now works.
Yep, seems like a great solution to the problem.

At least they removed it for you. I bet many dealerships would try to resist....
Old 07-12-2013, 10:44 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Makes a plug-in seem attractive
Old 07-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just an FYI to complete the cycle on this topic....

Porsche now has its own Diesel Fuel Adapter available. Part number is PNA-0T0-207-95. List price is $25.46.

So, for another $10 or so, you get all of the content of the VW part, PLUS an extra pair of XL nitrile gloves! Don't know about the rest of you, but I would opt for the VW part. And buy it from Amazon. Just sayin......

Toby
Old 07-15-2013, 05:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

But wait, the authentic Porsche diesel fuel adapter is made from recycled coolant tube plastic ... and the gloves are recycled from cardan shaft rubber flex joints.

Now, if they wrap it in a ribbon and put a cowboy belt buckle on it ... then it's definitely worth $25
Old 07-15-2013, 06:54 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Haven't experienced a fit problem with any nozzles yet. In Northern California, seems that about half the gas stations sell diesel, so if I experienced the fit problem, I'd go across the street. I've found refueling in the CD easy -- no mess, or gloves needed so far. Using an adaptor looks like it would be real messy -- even with the gloves -- think one would need disposable gloves. And then there's the issue of storing the adapter with the diesel fuel potentially dripping or smelling up the CD. Looks like the adapter is an emergency solution, but if you need, you need it.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:09 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

Ok old thread but I know ltc is still around....

Just attempted my first fill-up in the CD tonight. I live in the sticks so I have a truck stop nearby (T/A and a Road Ranger) where, when I had my last DuraMax pickup, used to fill up all the time.

Of course... those nozzles didn't fit. Found a Shell 10 miles away with 2 sets of diesel pumps, and the first also didn't fit... had to go to the other side of the station and found a sole "small" diesel pump with a small nozzle.

When you said you had VW remove the filler neck adapter.... did that by chance enable use of the large truck stop filler nozzles?

Wondering if I can mod this thing to use the bigger nozzle (yes I have the cute little "adapter" in the glovebox, but I can see that thing making a GIANT mess). Years of working for a diesel engine manufacturer (and having friends/family who still do) I'm paranoid about small out-of-the-way stations and their diesel, especially when I have a giant truck stop nearby.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:23 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I've only had to use my adapter once. When I was done I ran it over and through good with the station's paper towels and stored it in a zip lock bag. I keep it in the driver door pocket and have never had an issue with it leaking or smelling.

Don't know how well that would work out with more consistent use though.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:20 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

In two years of using the Cayenne I've only found one station that didn't have the smaller civilian nozzle that we need.

Quick Reply: Diesel Fuel Filler Adapter - Cayenne Diesel