Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

DIY Interior LED Light Package

Old 04-18-2013, 09:01 PM
TGED
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi JCBH, would you kindly check what brand are the bulbs you got from Suncoast? (As Porsche doesn't make LED bulbs.)
Old 04-26-2013, 08:44 PM
josecarlosc
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackland
I did it last week on my 2012 S. I don't know if I did it right because you need a Shop Manual instruction number 682337 that I could not find, but I did it without breaking anything.

The mirror covers open toward the middle of the car. Open it up. I used a very flat screwdriver blade to pry into the middle of the plastic with the mirror attached to it.

There are two plastic tabs on the plastic that the mirror is attached to, they are very stiff and could easily break so be patient.

Push the plastic toward the center of the car until the tabs are out, then the piece with the mirror attached will come out.

Take the old bulbs out and put the new LEDS in with the light facing outboard from the center of the mirror.

It (eventually) goes back in the same way it came out. If it seems like the lights don't work once you put them in they are on a timer; close the door and start the car to see if they work before you put the mirror back on.

Enjoy!
do you have a more detailed instructions? how do i take the outside cover? or i have to pry the tabs from the side where the mirror is? thank you for your help
Old 04-26-2013, 10:04 PM
TGED
Instructor

Originally Posted by TGED
Hi JCBH, would you kindly check what brand are the bulbs you got from Suncoast? (As Porsche doesn't make LED bulbs.)
Corrections, Porsche does seem to make their own LED bulbs, Suncoast has a picture showing the LED bulbs, they seem to be highly customized for each purpose. However, after market generic W5W LED bulbs fit the footwell, glovebox and trunk/door edge. The rear ceiling uses a C5W LED bulb(festoon type) which is also easy to buy.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:28 AM
blackland
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by josecarlosc
do you have a more detailed instructions? how do i take the outside cover? or i have to pry the tabs from the side where the mirror is? thank you for your help
The bulbs came in a Porsche box and say made in Germany. The part number on the box is 95804490120. There are no markings on the individual bulbs.

As to your question, lets start with you sitting in the drivers seat (left hand drive). Slide the cover fully open, the lights come on. The sliding cover is not removable from what I can tell and should not be removed to do this.

Look in the left side of the lighted mirror, a little under the plastic of the sun visor and you will see a seam that runs from top to bottom. Inside this there are two tabs about 1 cm from the top and bottom of the piece with the mirror that is in the center. I placed the tip of the screwdriver in the middle of the seam in the center of the left side of the mirror and pried it open until the two tabs were free. The tabs are about 7 mm long.

I have the Tequipment instructions which are helpful in visualizing what to do. I am not sure if I am allowed to post these here? I will be happy to email you a copy. Even with these instructions you still need Workshop Manual 682337 which I do not have.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:31 PM
josecarlosc
4th Gear

thank you blackland, but i might have misread, i was asking about the side view mirrors , i just realized that you were talking about the rear view mirror. i have been looking for the instructions for the side view mirror all around and i can't find them.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:59 PM
blackland
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by josecarlosc
thank you blackland, but i might have misread, i was asking about the side view mirrors , i just realized that you were talking about the rear view mirror. i have been looking for the instructions for the side view mirror all around and i can't find them.
Sorry, I have the instructions for the side view as well if you want them (they also require a Shop Manual that I do not have). I started to do this one but I was afraid that I would breal the plastic clip inside the mirror housing so I gave up and will let the dealer try it.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:36 PM
josecarlosc
4th Gear

can you give them to me to try it? if it is too difficult i will have to settle with halogen bulb on the side view mirrors. thanks blackland
Old 04-29-2013, 08:23 PM
blackland
Rennlist Member

I was at the dealer for my first oil change so I had them do the side mirror puddle lights. They charged me two hours of labour but I am feeling better about having them do it since it took a Porsche mechanic that long to figure it out.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:10 PM
TGED
Instructor

A Porsche mechanic should know how to do it instead of having you to pay for his time to learn to do it.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:07 AM
blackland
Rennlist Member

A Porsche mechanic should know how to do it instead of having you to pay for his time to learn to do it.
You would think so....
Old 05-04-2013, 11:48 PM
TGED
Instructor

The rear footwells were a challenge. I set the front seats forward with a full forward tilt, this seemed to give me the most work space. There is a small slot opposit of the light bulb, it is hard to find because it is covered up by that piece of black trim. You need to slide a small flat head screwdriver or something similar into the slot and push a plastic retaining clip (it is made from the same material as the lense cover so it would be easy to break with too much force) toward the light to release the housing for the light. There is almost no excess wire so I could not unplug the light housing, I used a fine screwdriver to take the metal backing off and replace the bulb with the housing still connected.
Hi blackland, I am still not able to do the rear footwell, where do you insert the screw driver? Between the black frame and the lens? Or behind the black frame? Does the housing need to come out? Or just the lens?
Old 05-05-2013, 11:47 AM
blackland
Rennlist Member

Hi blackland, I am still not able to do the rear footwell, where do you insert the screw driver? Between the black frame and the lens? Or behind the black frame? Does the housing need to come out? Or just the lens?
PM me an email and I will send you the Techquipment install instructions. I put the screwdriver blade between the black outer frame and the lens, When you release the tab with the screwdriver the whole housing should come out. The wire is very short so it will not come out very far.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:00 AM
TGED
Instructor

PM sent, thanks.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:46 AM
waveforce
Intermediate

I was at the dealer for my first oil change so I had them do the side mirror puddle lights. They charged me two hours of labour but I am feeling better about having them do it since it took a Porsche mechanic that long to figure it out.
It's actually incredibly easy to change the side mirror puddle lights...

Here are the steps:

1. Remove the mirror GLASS; it just pulls out. Same process as in the old Cayenne (attached).
2. Look at all the tiny Torx screws that will be visible. ONE of them is holding the upper back part of the mirror housing (the part that is painted the body color). You can figure out which one by looking behind each screw to see what is attached to it.
3. Remove that one tiny Torx screw.
4. Take a wedge (use a proper trim removal wedge, not a screwdriver. Those wedges are stupid cheap at Amazon, no reason to use anything else) and insert it around the top edge of the upper back of the mirror housing (between the part painted the body color and the black part that usually surrounds the mirror). At the same time, unclip it -- there are two clips on either side of the Torx screw that you just removed.
5. Once the top is unclipped, continue to prop the housing open using the wedge. It comes off easily if you use the wedge.
6. Once the top housing is out, you'll have access to the connector for bulb for the puddle lights. Just pull the connector out, and replace the bulb; make sure the LED is pointing downwards.
7. Follow the above steps in reverse.

Takes about 3 minutes flat.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
document.pdf (136.4 KB, 1098 views)
Old 04-12-2015, 11:59 AM
waveforce
Intermediate

The sliding cover is not removable from what I can tell and should not be removed to do this.
I disagree -- it is removable and in fact removing it makes the work much easier because rather than having to bend those two very long tabs on the outside (closer to the door) edge, once the sliding cover is off you can easily open the light housing from the inside (closer to the middle) edge without having to bend the tabs.

To remove the sliding cover, just pry open the sun visor around the mirror (with a wedge and/or your fingers), and the cover will come off easily. Just be careful with the little spring on the bottom outside of it (make sure it doesn't fall out).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Interior LED Light Package