chip tuning for diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Cspurlock
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chip tuning for diesel

Hi,
New to the forum and was looking for some advice. I have a 2013 cayenne diesel US and would like to do some chip tuning to it. Does anyone have any reccomendations on products?

Has anyone heard of this product?
https://www.racechip-usa.com/chiptun.../Diesel-176kw/

It is the only one that I can find that is sold stateside. Would love to hear from anyone that has used a chip on a US car.

thanks is advance.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:02 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Greg has had a BlueSpark Pro + Boost control on his since late December. I have one on order that will hopefully be here shortly. Their claimed numbers are higher than the the link you posted and its in the $450 range.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:56 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I heard these guys name dropped a lot on tdiclub back when i followed...

www.diesel-power.com
Old 04-02-2013, 09:01 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, the Pro + Boost is considerably less expensive to us here in the US. It sells for UK280, which includes 20% VAT (tax). At the current UK/US exchange rate, that would be US425. But since UK export items are VAT-exempt, the net price is more like $340 plus postage

//greg//
Old 04-02-2013, 09:38 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

You're right Greg. Don't know why I have that number stuck in my head. At my CC's exchange rate it was 439.51 before the 72.89 VAT refund.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Cspurlock
5th Gear

Originally Posted by grohgreg
Actually, the Pro + Boost is considerably less expensive to us here in the US. It sells for UK280, which includes 20% VAT (tax). At the current UK/US exchange rate, that would be US425. But since UK export items are VAT-exempt, the net price is more like $340 plus postage

//greg//
Greg,
was wondering if you can explain if it works all the time or only in sport mode?
Old 04-02-2013, 12:27 PM
grohgreg
Pro

It has nothing to do with Sport Mode. It goes under the hood; one set of connectors plugs is for the fuel rail, the other set for the turbo. No wiring required, pretty much plug and play.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:48 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Seems just too good to be true. If it were that easy, why wouldn't Porsche slip that $350 baby on as a high performance option, or the "S" designation, and charge another $5-10K more? Or instead, perhaps they just flash the engine management unit with the firmware in that device at no cost to them, to get the same result. Porsche certainly isn't shy about offering options -- particularly ones with big margins. Maybe you do get the extra power, but there could be a trade off in wear / tear that could cost you down the line.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Cspurlock
5th Gear

It has nothing to do with Sport Mode. It goes under the hood; one set of connectors plugs is for the fuel rail, the other set for the turbo. No wiring required, pretty much plug and play.
So if I am understanding you, then it increases the performance while it is in std mode. So when you press the sport mode, does it increase it even more? If that is the case, then I would assume the numbers advertised are listed while the car is in sport mode???
Old 04-02-2013, 01:56 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by philg3
Seems just too good to be true. If it were that easy, why wouldn't Porsche slip that $350 baby on as a high performance option, or the "S" designation, and charge another $5-10K more? Or instead, perhaps they just flash the engine management unit with the firmware in that device at no cost to them, to get the same result. Porsche certainly isn't shy about offering options -- particularly ones with big margins. Maybe you do get the extra power, but there could be a trade off in wear / tear that could cost you down the line.
They don't do it for the diesel (yet), but that is basically exactly what the TTS is. They get those additional horses and pounds from a tweaked ECU tune which is no different than a TT owner can do by going to a tuner. Porsche just won't do it for you (why only make a few $$ profit when they can convince you to get a whole new car).

BMW, on the other hand, offers a performance package for their turbo engines (N54 and N55, don't know about the new 4 cylinders) where they charge about 2-3 times as much as if you go to any of the plethora of aftermarket tuner options (which range from ECU flashes to tuner boxes). The "improved" power of the 1M when it was released was a disappointment to many as it was simply applying the performance tune on the N54 engine and most of the tuner shop had already long been pulling more power (with equivalent IC and CAI upgrades that the 1M also had) out of the engine for a lot less money.

Originally Posted by Cspurlock
So if I am understanding you, then it increases the performance while it is in std mode. So when you press the sport mode, does it increase it even more? If that is the case, then I would assume the numbers advertised are listed while the car is in sport mode???
Sport mode (on the Cayennes) doesn't change the output of the engine. It just firms up the throttle response and adjusts the shift point mapping (it also does some stuff with the suspension and chassis options too if you have them).
Old 04-02-2013, 05:10 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by Cspurlock
You're not understanding me. BlueSpark has nothing to do with "mode". It's an across the board engine HP and and torque increase, regardless of which "mode" you select. Selecting Sport Mode changes the transmission, throttle, and suspension characteristics. On top of that, BlueSpark Pro+Boost then modifies ECU (engine control unit) mapping relative to fuel delivery pressure and turbo boost. But you don't have to be in Sport Mode, BlueSpark is working whenever the engine is running.

//greg//
Old 04-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Cspurlock
5th Gear

You're not understanding me. BlueSpark has nothing to do with "mode". It's an across the board engine HP and and torque increase, regardless of which "mode" you select. Selecting Sport Mode changes the transmission, throttle, and suspension characteristics. On top of that, BlueSpark Pro+Boost then modifies ECU (engine control unit) mapping relative to fuel delivery pressure and turbo boost. But you don't have to be in Sport Mode, BlueSpark is working whenever the engine is running.

//greg//
Ok I have a much better understanding of it now after you guys explained it. So if it modifies the ECU, is there any trace if I take it in for service, or do I just unplug it before I take it in?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:27 PM
grohgreg
Pro

My service manager has already seen mine, I made no attempt to hide it. Besides - of the 9 map settings - one is OFF. That means it will revert to factory parameters
Old 03-18-2018, 03:23 AM
shenofjo
Cruisin'

thread revival here. its 2018 now. any updates on this blue spark as well as better products out there? i'd assume to remove this during smog purposes / "off road use only"
Old 03-24-2018, 02:29 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

In the 958 Rennlist section folks are seeing that these type systems do not work as well after getting the diesel 'fix'.

Quick Reply: chip tuning for diesel