Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My 958.2 eats windshield wipers... anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 12:08 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts
Default My 958.2 eats windshield wipers... anyone else?

My 958.2 chews through windshield wipers. I keep getting a set of streaks across my line of vision from the driver's wiper, on the high end. My last 4 sets of wipers and within 2-3 uses the streaks start, and get worse over time. 2-3 months I've got to buy another set because the last 3" or so winds up just being a smeared mess. I've burned through an OE set (dealer raped me on those, ouch), 2 different sets of Michelins and most recently a set of the Bosch "OE" ones.

The windshield was brand new (I took a big rock hit when the car was a week old) as of this past February. I've gone over the windshield with a razor, scraping it clean... and I'm still eating blades. Same spot each time. They work great and clear perfectly for 2-3 rains... then the streaks come back.

I don't recall my 958.1 being like this. All I can think of is that there is *something* on the windshield.

I realize it's a "hard to dx over the internet" thing but anybody got any ideas?
Old 10-05-2018, 12:44 PM
NoEardGoat
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Could the wiper arm be bent and putting incorrect pressure on the blade?
Old 10-05-2018, 01:00 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

Where are you buying your wipers? They may have been on the shelf past their optimum age. Have you clayed your windshield. There is special windshield cleaning clay, that may help also, but I'll bet you will have better luck if you pay the extra bucks and buy a set of OE wipers from one of the major on-line retailers.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:18 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

My current set I bought at AutoZone. I know at least one set came from WalMart. The OE ones obviously came from the dealer. They all failed in the same manner.

Windshield cleaning clay? Ok off to the Googles.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:01 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

My 958.1 doesn't appear to eat blades but, it definitely streaks more than I have experienced in other vehicles. There was also a fair bit of judder/skipping. The judder seemed to be improved by cleaning the blades themselves with a bit of washer fluid. I would suggest cleaning the inserts more regularly and seeing if it helps the streaking.

The tearing in such a short time frame is a problem I've never experienced. I'd try the clay bar or the zaino glass polish (no polish if you have a coating on the glass) and then apply some RainX or similar to see if that helps decrease the wear and tear.

As an aside, do the auto wipers on your 958 suck as well? I have them turned to the highest sensitivity and even then if it is not a consistent rain they don't run. I can have a heavy mist that has totally obscured my view out of the windshield and they do nothing. I know in the BMW world there is a base sensitivity setting in the software that can be adjusted. My dealer says Porsche does not have that function in the software. This seems odd to me.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:03 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
My 958.1 doesn't appear to eat blades but, it definitely streaks more than I have experienced in other vehicles. There was also a fair bit of judder/skipping. The judder seemed to be improved by cleaning the blades themselves with a bit of washer fluid. I would suggest cleaning the inserts more regularly and seeing if it helps the streaking.

The tearing in such a short time frame is a problem I've never experienced. I'd try the clay bar or the zaino glass polish (no polish if you have a coating on the glass) and then apply some RainX or similar to see if that helps decrease the wear and tear.

As an aside, do the auto wipers on your 958 suck as well? I have them turned to the highest sensitivity and even then if it is not a consistent rain they don't run. I can have a heavy mist that has totally obscured my view out of the windshield and they do nothing. I know in the BMW world there is a base sensitivity setting in the software that can be adjusted. My dealer says Porsche does not have that function in the software. This seems odd to me.
I seem to be changing the blades every 3-4 months in SOCAL so only for use of the window squirters. Lots of the streaking. Any window treatment like rainX help?
Old 10-05-2018, 04:34 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacked 987
My 958.2 chews through windshield wipers. I keep getting a set of streaks across my line of vision from the driver's wiper, on the high end. My last 4 sets of wipers and within 2-3 uses the streaks start, and get worse over time. 2-3 months I've got to buy another set because the last 3" or so winds up just being a smeared mess. I've burned through an OE set (dealer raped me on those, ouch), 2 different sets of Michelins and most recently a set of the Bosch "OE" ones.

The windshield was brand new (I took a big rock hit when the car was a week old) as of this past February. I've gone over the windshield with a razor, scraping it clean... and I'm still eating blades. Same spot each time. They work great and clear perfectly for 2-3 rains... then the streaks come back.

I don't recall my 958.1 being like this. All I can think of is that there is *something* on the windshield.

I realize it's a "hard to dx over the internet" thing but anybody got any ideas?
Not sure if it would help or not, but you could try this rather obscure product from Porsche to specifically help clean that area up..... https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PKWWCL.html
Old 10-05-2018, 04:48 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Not sure if it would help or not, but you could try this rather obscure product from Porsche to specifically help clean that area up..... https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PKWWCL.html
Only Porsche would charge $13 for 2 paper towels, one of them wet.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:00 PM
dz997 tts
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by deilenberger
almost as bad as $31.87 for the primed plastic "S" on rear deck lid of various models !
Old 10-05-2018, 08:17 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

My current set I bought at AutoZone. I know at least one set came from WalMart. The OE ones obviously came from the dealer. They all failed in the same manner.

Windshield cleaning clay? Ok off to the Googles.
I've had good results with this: https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...ks&from=Search
Old 10-05-2018, 09:01 PM
qtro
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a wet eyeglass cleaner wipe and wipe the wiper. You will be amazed at how much road grim gets on them. I do this about once every three months. Keeps them streak free.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:19 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Ah, but where else can you get a lint free rag dipped in Black Forest unicorn ****?! Eh??!! Never question Porsche!
Old 10-06-2018, 03:16 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Have you traced the entire streak(s) with your fingers to see if you have a small imperfection or chip in the glass?

Both of my CDs have no issues with windshield wipers and no streaking, either (except for that pesky bug on one of them that I need to clean!)
Old 10-06-2018, 01:49 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

These wipers seem to last just about a year - then they start streaking: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/26-2...945782386.html at $13/pair, I don't feel it's one of my major Cayenne costs. They look identical to the OE/Bosch ones. I usually order a few pairs.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:40 PM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Solution works for me

I did clean the windshield, applied some synthetic liquid wax that I use on the clear bra , buffed the windshield . Also applied the same on the wipers edge , worked like a charm

Quick Reply: My 958.2 eats windshield wipers... anyone else?