Sponsored By:

Potential Diesel purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 08:21 AM
l8tebr8ke
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Diesel purchase

I’m considering buying a 2016 CPO diesel and wondering what people think about Porsche’s announcement it’s completely pulling out of the diesel market. Will this hurt the aftersale support and service? What will happen to the secondary market value of these cars a few years down the road?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:01 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

https://www.caradvice.com.au/687725/...el-production/
Old 09-24-2018, 12:09 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Do you know that you are asking us to predict the future?

No one knows what will happen.

If I were worried about what you are asking about I would not buy a diesel.

I have a 2016 and plan on keeping it for a long time. I had a 2012 Touareg TDI that got bought back which allowed me to get the 2016 and I had planned on keeping that 2012 TDI for a long time until buyback was announced.

I could not care any less about the possible issues you have brought up. Porsche has extended the warranty. Porsche will take care of the owners and any issues or problems that come up either under warranty or otherwise. I don't plan on selling or trading the truck and even think of giving it to my son 8 1/2 years from now so he can drive it.

The Cayenne Diesel is awesome.

Last edited by BenCD; 09-24-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:05 PM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD

I have a 2016 and plan on keeping it for a long time. I had a 2012 Touareg TDI that got bought back which allowed me to get the 2016 and I had planned on keeping that 2012 TDI for a long time until buyback was announced.

I could not care any less about the possible issues you have brought up. Porsche has extended the warranty. I don't plan on selling or trading the truck and even think of giving it to my son 8 1/2 years from now so he can drive it.

i agree with this. While I’m a rather new owner, only put 5k on my 14, and even bought mine without any warranty. This version of the cayenne seems to be solid as a rock, and thus far has been perfect.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:35 PM
l8tebr8ke
Instructor

Thanks for this some interesting comments.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:51 PM
l8tebr8ke
Instructor

Originally Posted by BenCD

I could not care any less about the possible issues you have brought up. Porsche has extended the warranty. Porsche will take care of the owners and any issues or problems that come up either under warranty or otherwise. I don't plan on selling or trading the truck and even think of giving it to my son 8 1/2 years from now so he can drive it.

I don’t doubt the CD is awesome. I have a 2003 996tt and love it. All I was asking was for people’s opinion about Porsche pulling out of the diesel market and the possible affect it will have on these vehicles.

I also have 2009 x5 35d and love the torque and mileage I get with it. My major issue with it is the host of problems that are popping up and the cost to repair them. The high cost to fix these has basically eroded the value to almost nothing. So I’m at a dilemma, dump more money into the X5, into a car who’s value is quickly approaching zero or buy another vehicle. Possibly the cayenne diesel.

The fact that the CD has an amazing warranty now alleviates some of my concern. Having said that I’d still like to know that the bottom isn’t going to drop out of these now that Porsche has decide to get out of the diesel market.

I know now you can’t predict the future and I wasn’t asking anyone to do that. I was just asking for ppls opinion on this recent change.

In in any case thanks for your comments above.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:56 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 161 Posts

I'm not sure that Porsche not making anymore diesel vehicles will matter much. The vehicle will probably depreciate like any other luxury vehicle. They aren't abandoning the support for the vehicle. Who knows, maybe the resale will be higher than a comparable V6 Cayenne, since there are so many more of them. If you keep it long enough, it won't matter.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:06 PM
l8tebr8ke
Instructor

Originally Posted by mafpolo
I'm not sure that Porsche not making anymore diesel vehicles will matter much. The vehicle will probably depreciate like any other luxury vehicle. They aren't abandoning the support for the vehicle. Who knows, maybe the resale will be higher than a comparable V6 Cayenne, since there are so many more of them. If you keep it long enough, it won't matter.
Maybe it can hold value like my 996....hahaha, jk, don't expect that. I may just have to roll the dice and see.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:47 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

The question is how many miles will you put on the car daily/weekly? Highway or local?

I have a 2009 GL 320 and a CD. Wife drove the GL around town putting on approx 7K annually. I make sure to go on highways during weekend drives. It has normal OM642 issues but I have since replaced it with a GL450 mainly because of intended use. The GL320 with only 69K miles is currently getting decarboned and cleaned up before sale. It will be a great vehicle for someone who will drive it on the highway more to get the benefit out of it.

My '13 CD has been a great car. It has none of the post fix issues others experience. I am also considering selling it because my no traffic commute to work is only 10 highway miles. If my office is another 5-10 miles further, then I would keep it for sure.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:12 AM
Jbullis
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just recently picked up the diesel as a DD, the warranty is a great perk. I really enjoy driving the vehicle, after I bought mine, I had to find my mother an identical one too. lol
Old 09-25-2018, 08:46 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

As long as their long-term reliability is good, I think they will hold their value fairly well compared to their gas counterpart. There is a limited supply and they aren't making any more.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:09 AM
l8tebr8ke
Instructor

Originally Posted by chsu74
The question is how many miles will you put on the car daily/weekly? Highway or local?

I have a 2009 GL 320 and a CD. Wife drove the GL around town putting on approx 7K annually. I make sure to go on highways during weekend drives. It has normal OM642 issues but I have since replaced it with a GL450 mainly because of intended use. The GL320 with only 69K miles is currently getting decarboned and cleaned up before sale. It will be a great vehicle for someone who will drive it on the highway more to get the benefit out of it.

My '13 CD has been a great car. It has none of the post fix issues others experience. I am also considering selling it because my no traffic commute to work is only 10 highway miles. If my office is another 5-10 miles further, then I would keep it for sure.
Most of the time the CD will be used for short drives but we recently moved to Scarsdale NY from Toronto, Ontario and drive back every few months. We also plan to head to VT a few times during the winter. Hence why I like the diesel range and power so much.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:10 AM
l8tebr8ke
Instructor

Originally Posted by swmic
As long as their long-term reliability is good, I think they will hold their value fairly well compared to their gas counterpart. There is a limited supply and they aren't making any more.
This is what I'm hoping for if I do end up pulling the trigger.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:11 AM
l8tebr8ke
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jbullis
I just recently picked up the diesel as a DD, the warranty is a great perk. I really enjoy driving the vehicle, after I bought mine, I had to find my mother an identical one too. lol
Hahahaha!
Old 09-26-2018, 08:39 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

You will likely run into carbon issues unless there is at least 1 weekly long drive. Just be prepared for that expense which negates the fuel savings.

Quick Reply: Potential Diesel purchase