Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Nailed a turkey last night and . . .

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 06:25 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Nailed a turkey last night and . . .

. . . while I was expecting some crinkled sheet metal on the front right fender, and some busted up plastic in the front, I got away with a separation of the painted fascia and the lower black trim and my fog light has been freed from its mount. I think I got lucky. I had also expected blood and feathers but there is just a faint mark where it looks like the head got bashed on the black underside of the front skid area.

I'll be taking the wheel off and then the inner fender surround to get to the fog light and see what I can do about getting it mounted back up but I fear that the mounts for the fog light just completely broke off as the fog light is just sitting at the bottom of the space.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:25 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Ouch .... sorry about that .... too bad you could not find the bird -- Thanksgiving isn't all that far away
Old 09-22-2018, 08:30 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I head butted a turkey on a back roads romp in my 997.2S. Crack in the top part of the windshield. This was 2 weeks after getting a rock chip. Fortunately, neither in driver's line of sight. I'll wait until bad thing #3 to replace. Glad you weren't hurt...T
Old 09-22-2018, 09:47 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Using a Cayenne to kill turkey is little over kill. I use my Benelli SBEII when I going turkey hunting. Glad your Cayenne is ok.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:02 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

I had my boy shove three t-shirts into the space above where the fog light now sits. My fix is going to be budget/ghetto-friendly as there is NO way I'm going to go out and buy whatever plastic I might need. I do plan on drilling holes and using either, or both bailing wire and zip ties to lock the fog light back into place. I don't even mind the not-really seeable damage at all as I like to think of my truck as, the "light truck" that the EPA classifies it as and some dings, dents and imperfections are part of my game.

Like in the movie "Slapshot" when the coach, Paul Newman comes out of the rink/arena to see the team whacking the side of the bus, the doors to the luggage bays, with sledgehammers and he yells something like "Guy, guys, what the hell are you doing?" One of the Hanson's turns around and says, "Hey, Coach. We're making it look meeeeaaaaannn!"

Who messes with a Cayenne owner who is ok with some damage to their truck?

Turkey didn't stand a chance as I do know that I have played "chicken" with turkeys in the street and I don't even slow down if there is one in the road. They want to play?, I'm game and just simply taking the damage. I'll have pics, probably tomorrow sometime, when I get the inner liner off and get the fog light stitched back into place.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:32 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
I had my boy shove three t-shirts into the space above where the fog light now sits. My fix is going to be budget/ghetto-friendly as there is NO way I'm going to go out and buy whatever plastic I might need. I do plan on drilling holes and using either, or both bailing wire and zip ties to lock the fog light back into place. I don't even mind the not-really seeable damage at all as I like to think of my truck as, the "light truck" that the EPA classifies it as and some dings, dents and imperfections are part of my game.

Like in the movie "Slapshot" when the coach, Paul Newman comes out of the rink/arena to see the team whacking the side of the bus, the doors to the luggage bays, with sledgehammers and he yells something like "Guy, guys, what the hell are you doing?" One of the Hanson's turns around and says, "Hey, Coach. We're making it look meeeeaaaaannn!"

Who messes with a Cayenne owner who is ok with some damage to their truck?

Turkey didn't stand a chance as I do know that I have played "chicken" with turkeys in the street and I don't even slow down if there is one in the road. They want to play?, I'm game and just simply taking the damage. I'll have pics, probably tomorrow sometime, when I get the inner liner off and get the fog light stitched back into place.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:57 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

I took the wheel off and the fender liner and was happy when I had found that the Morimoto xB fog light mounts were just snapped cleanly off. I put hot glue all around the broken tabs/mounts and added a bit more to build up the hot glue to add a bit more material/reinforcement to the tabs, let it dry, then screwed the fog light housing back into place.

I had lifted one plastic tab in the lower black fascia into place and the upper painted fascia and lower black skid-part more or less lined back up so I think I got lucky with the turkey. I went back to the road to see if the bird was dead on the road/side of the road but it was nowhere to be found.

I'll be hoping that the hot glue will be strong enough to hold the fog light housing in place as between the wind and the bumps in the road, I'm sure it gets its share of road shocks but I'm optimistic regarding the repair.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:51 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

The short 4.4 mile drive to work had the fog light holding. In hindsight I should have slathered some Amazing Goop on top of the hot glue for more strength but if it holds till the end of time, then great. '

I also realized I could probably source the mounting bracket for the light as it is just screwed into the fog light housing or, I could maybe take the same mount off the stock fog light. I'll have to dig up the OEM fog lights to see if the same mount is used. If it keeps on working then great.

Turkeys beware!

Quick Reply: Nailed a turkey last night and . . .