Sponsored By:

A/C and External Temperature Display

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 08:27 PM
Mister_Swiss
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C and External Temperature Display

Just got my 2015 958 Turbo out of the body shop to have some minor bodywork done on the front and back bumpers. The shop did a really fantastic job, but that's not why I'm here.

On the way home I decided it was too hot even with the pano roof open and all the windows down, so I turned the AC on. Normally it's extremely responsive, but it wouldn't blow any cool air at all on the 20 minute ride home. When I adjusted the temperature, the climate control system seemed to lower the fan and barely kick anything out. Manually adjusting the fan speed all the way up and lowering the temper to "LO" just kicked out warm or hot air. It sort of seems like the car thought the temperature in the car was much lower than it was. Adjusting the temperature to hot will engage the heater, it seems.

Additionally, I looked at the exterior temperature on the multi-function display and it was 31 degrees (currently a steamy 85 here in Chicago). I know those things are typically off from reality a bit, but it certainly ain't snowing yet. Coupled with the weird AC function, it seems like there's a trend her.

All of this worked just fine prior to body work, so I'm curious if there's something they could have done by painting/removing the front or back bumpers that caused any AC issues. Of course, I reached out to them, but they're closed for the evening and I won't hear back till at least tomorrow. So, here I am asking for suggestions here.
The following users liked this post:
Driven Image (03-05-2020)
Old 09-20-2018, 10:19 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

The exterior temperature sensor is behind the bumper. They either disconnected it or broke it. The HVAC system won't provide AC when it thinks the exterior temperature is too low - and 31F is way too low. You can play with the controls all you want - but AC won't happen until that sensor is working again. Go see the shop - they fooked up.
Needsdecaf (01-10-2023)
Old 09-20-2018, 10:25 PM
Mister_Swiss
6th Gear

Originally Posted by deilenberger
The exterior temperature sensor is behind the bumper. They either disconnected it or broke it. The HVAC system won't provide AC when it thinks the exterior temperature is too low - and 31F is way too low. You can play with the controls all you want - but AC won't happen until that sensor is working again. Go see the shop - they fooked up.
Dang. Well, that's not great, but I'm very happy to have an answer. I'm sure they'll be responsible for connecting or replacing it. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:22 PM
mavallone997
4th Gear

Ok I’m having the same issue, I tried a new sensor , the plug and harness all look okay, it reads 31 as soon as I put the back connecting main harness in and even with the temp sensor plugged in or out will read 31 only when the multiple larger pin harness upfront disconnect it reads nothing - new and old sensor for me stay stuck at 31- any leads or help is hugely appreciated
Driven Image (03-05-2020)
Old 04-26-2019, 10:54 PM
Mister_Swiss
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mavallone997
Ok I’m having the same issue, I tried a new sensor , the plug and harness all look okay, it reads 31 as soon as I put the back connecting main harness in and even with the temp sensor plugged in or out will read 31 only when the multiple larger pin harness upfront disconnect it reads nothing - new and old sensor for me stay stuck at 31- any leads or help is hugely appreciated
I’m going to forget the specific details here, but I’ll try...

There are a couple of sensors / plugs that need to be plugged into the harness, and they all look the same. But even though they have the same connection they have different voltage. So when they put the sensor back in the first time it still didn’t work because it blew the sensor being in the wrong connection.

My independent tech had to call Porsche and they said something to the effect of “oh yeah, even we mix up what plugs into where, so we keep extra sensors on hand just in case.”

I don’t know more than that, but they fixed it with another new sensor and knowing which connection to plug it into.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:01 PM
Driven Image
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having the same issue.

Originally Posted by mavallone997

Did you get this issue resolved? What was it
Old 03-05-2020, 07:05 PM
Driven Image
2nd Gear

Default Having the same issue.

Originally Posted by Mister_Swiss
Just got my 2015 958 Turbo out of the body shop to have some minor bodywork done on the front and back bumpers. The shop did a really fantastic job, but that's not why I'm here.

On the way home I decided it was too hot even with the pano roof open and all the windows down, so I turned the AC on. Normally it's extremely responsive, but it wouldn't blow any cool air at all on the 20 minute ride home. When I adjusted the temperature, the climate control system seemed to lower the fan and barely kick anything out. Manually adjusting the fan speed all the way up and lowering the temper to "LO" just kicked out warm or hot air. It sort of seems like the car thought the temperature in the car was much lower than it was. Adjusting the temperature to hot will engage the heater, it seems.

Additionally, I looked at the exterior temperature on the multi-function display and it was 31 degrees (currently a steamy 85 here in Chicago). I know those things are typically off from reality a bit, but it certainly ain't snowing yet. Coupled with the weird AC function, it seems like there's a trend her.

All of this worked just fine prior to body work, so I'm curious if there's something they could have done by painting/removing the front or back bumpers that caused any AC issues. Of course, I reached out to them, but they're closed for the evening and I won't hear back till at least tomorrow. So, here I am asking for suggestions here.
Did you get this issue resolved? What was the problem?
Old 07-08-2022, 06:09 PM
GTSLouie
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 958A same Ambient issues

Originally Posted by Driven Image
Did you get this issue resolved? What was it
If anyone knows what’s going on with this issue and can you share what they did to fix it I would be very grateful to you!

mine starts out reading the same temperature I see on my phone but then as I drive it starts decreasing to the point where I just see a _ _ _

I get a CEL (check engine light) and talks about a

Engine Control fault visit workshop drive on poss.

After a scan it came back with a:
U0423 Permanent
Invalid Data Received From Instrument Panel Control Module
U0424 Permanent
Invalid Data Received From Instrument HVAC Control Module.

I even bought a new ambient sensor and replaced it; CEL went away and 3 days later; there it is again

is there a way to remove a fuse; disconnect the battery and see if anything glitchy goes away ?

thoughts

Old 11-30-2022, 01:58 PM
autobodyshop
1st Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fix For This Exact Problem Explained

Hello friends,

I work at an auto body shop and just went through this exact situation and want to share the fix to save the next person a whole bunch of trouble!

We replaced the wiring harness from the firewall to the right apron that connects to the bumper harness. The bumper harness has connections for a few lights and the ambient air temp sensor. We went through 3 sensors thinking we were getting bad parts, but the vehicle was always stuck at 31 degrees.

We removed the AC control module around the shifter and looked at the wiring diagrams to see which leads go to the air temperature sensor. It measured 5 volts. We checked the pigtail at the sensor and it measured 12 volts.

Ended up figuring out that the connector to the right side marker light was accidentally switched with the connector that goes to the air temp sensor. The 12 volts killed the sensor. Replaced the sensor and swapped back the wires and everything works.

Hope this helps someone!

The following 3 users liked this post by autobodyshop:
bobbyp (07-31-2023), fourthirteen (01-10-2023), rmedway (07-31-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 10:21 PM
GTSLouie
AutoX

Default 172 temp on Ambien reading?

autobodyshop thanks for pointing that out!
been digging around this one and actually down to trying to understating how this whole wiring systems on the A/C HVAC module works and founds some good resources in YT videos; did a couple of back and forth with "
Joe electronic schematics for auto" and he said

"Usually anything that starts with a U and a code reveals communications problem to a MODULE more than a sensor; you would have to see what your MODULE is related to the system of temperature, go to Google and put in the wiring diagram for your model and make of your car and I would try to trace it

So question for anyone, what would cause my ambient sensor to be reading a temp of 172 degrees? that's what my AMBIENT is reading if I do a live read.
is that possibly a bad ground or a brake/short in the cable?

I have the wiring diagram ( AC Circuit attachment )

sensor wiring
looks simple enough, 2 wires, one (labeled SIG) goes to the A/C CONTROL UNIT on input 5 called OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE and a another cable (TERM31) that goes to input 7 called SIGNAL GROUND. looks like 1/2 way there is a bridge? that has a X010 (what is this?) according to the diagram, I'll take a look physically and see what I can find out of norm. if you can think of anything else for me to try I would appreciate it!
Old 01-10-2023, 09:09 PM
GTSLouie
AutoX

Default Ambient wiring has a break

As it turns out, the actual wiring harness had been messed with and a repair was attempted on the ambient temp sensor worrying I imagine at some point in time it must’ve came loose ( due to car vibration/normal car driving ) and it was hit/miss was generating the disparate temperatures readings

Broken Ambient wire (teal heat shrink) .

as you can see in the picture the fix looked ok but a gently pull on it prove to have the break and my reader in live data mode to showed an immediate 172° ( hint for anyone getting this reading you most likely have a break in the cable, which told me that was definitely the culprit… so I fixed the broken connection, put it together, and now I have the right temperature reading for the outside and no longer the check engine light. Hope this helps others.

Originally Posted by GTSLouie
autobodyshop thanks for pointing that out!
been digging around this one and actually down to trying to understating how this whole wiring systems on the A/C HVAC module works and founds some good resources in YT videos; did a couple of back and forth with "
Joe electronic schematics for auto" and he said

"Usually anything that starts with a U and a code reveals communications problem to a MODULE more than a sensor; you would have to see what your MODULE is related to the system of temperature, go to Google and put in the wiring diagram for your model and make of your car and I would try to trace it

So question for anyone, what would cause my ambient sensor to be reading a temp of 172 degrees? that's what my AMBIENT is reading if I do a live read.
is that possibly a bad ground or a brake/short in the cable?

I have the wiring diagram ( AC Circuit attachment )

sensor wiring
looks simple enough, 2 wires, one (labeled SIG) goes to the A/C CONTROL UNIT on input 5 called OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE and a another cable (TERM31) that goes to input 7 called SIGNAL GROUND. looks like 1/2 way there is a bridge? that has a X010 (what is this?) according to the diagram, I'll take a look physically and see what I can find out of norm. if you can think of anything else for me to try I would appreciate it!
fourthirteen (01-10-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 01:23 AM
rmedway
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by autobodyshop
Hello friends,

I work at an auto body shop and just went through this exact situation and want to share the fix to save the next person a whole bunch of trouble!

We replaced the wiring harness from the firewall to the right apron that connects to the bumper harness. The bumper harness has connections for a few lights and the ambient air temp sensor. We went through 3 sensors thinking we were getting bad parts, but the vehicle was always stuck at 31 degrees.

We removed the AC control module around the shifter and looked at the wiring diagrams to see which leads go to the air temperature sensor. It measured 5 volts. We checked the pigtail at the sensor and it measured 12 volts.

Ended up figuring out that the connector to the right side marker light was accidentally switched with the connector that goes to the air temp sensor. The 12 volts killed the sensor. Replaced the sensor and swapped back the wires and everything works.

Hope this helps someone!

I have the same issue but I replaced the sensor and tested the pig tail it is 5 v but even with a new sensor it still shows 31 degrees what year was the cayanne you worked on ?

Quick Reply: A/C and External Temperature Display