Sponsored By:

Milltek for 958

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 10:33 AM
the head
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Milltek for 958

During my last track day, the stock muffler apparently broke a baffle so I needed to replace it with something quiet (my preference). After looking around and not finding a whole lot of useful videos on YouTube and some of the forums I went ahead and chose the Milltek SSXPO109 that is resonated and uses the stock exhaust tips. I ordered it through ECS Tuning in early July and it got here this past week. There were none in the country according to several vendors so I had to wait for it to get here.
The packaging wasn't that great and as a result there are scratches and very minor dents on several pieces. I don't believe this is ECS' fault as this was probably how it was packaged at Milltek. Basically they took the foam bags and put those in the box, put the pieces on top of that, then added more bags of the expanding foam to that. It might have held together better other than the large box it came in was already bent and some of the flaps on the bottom were almost torn through the tape to seal it. None of the polished pieces were wrapped in plastic either. So if you are all about aesthetics, this might not be the exhaust for you. You can judge for yourself about the welds, I am just guessing but it appears that the muffler cases were shortened to fit the application. Welds on the piping look pretty good but the smaller (more difficult) welds aren't the prettiest.
The system did come with all the bolts for the brackets and clamps to put it on. None of the tube ends are bent so it should go together easily. Brackets look sturdy.
I'll post follow-up after I get it installed today. I think mosquitos will be the biggest problem (it's been raining here for days). Here are some pics before installation on some of the components.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:35 AM
the head
Rennlist Member

more pics

Old 09-15-2018, 10:36 AM
the head
Rennlist Member

Old 09-15-2018, 10:37 AM
the head
Rennlist Member

Old 09-15-2018, 10:38 AM
the head
Rennlist Member

Old 09-15-2018, 10:39 AM
the head
Rennlist Member

off to the garage after these

Old 09-15-2018, 02:37 PM
the head
Rennlist Member

OK all installed. It took me about 3.5 hours with just me doing the work and the suspension set (and locked out) at the highest level. I did use a couple of jack stands just in case, though. The time also includes a test drive so now I'm waiting for it to cool down to check all the connections. Install was pretty straight forward. The most coaxing with a rubber mallet was getting the secondary cat delete ends to match up with the resonator pipes without pulling the h-pipe apart in the process. My one dented/scratched muffler is on the passenger side and unfortunately it is on the bottom, facing the rear. If I were to take a pic from the ground you could see the damage. I'm not worried about it and will send a pic to ECS to see if they do anything or not. Everything sealed up nicely so no leaks.
Sound is much deeper at idle and low rpm. Once underway it is barely noticeable and with the radio on I don't hear it any more than the stock exhaust. It does have a nicer rumble, though. Full throttle doesn't seem any louder. So for me, this has met my expectations of being on the quiet end. Most importantly, no more rattle!
A few more pics to share. I do have the PDCC hydraulic rear sway bar and it clears it fine. Pics are at the highest level on the air suspension. And don't let the badge in the rear fool you, it is a turbo. The original owner had it de-badged.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:38 PM
the head
Rennlist Member

Old 09-15-2018, 02:41 PM
the head
Rennlist Member

Old 09-16-2018, 12:32 PM
jferguson6
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice install and review. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-15-2018, 10:54 PM
AllroadRSC5
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 958 turbo broke a baffle at Palmer Motorsports this Sept. It seems the suitcase muffler doesn’t like the track. Do you have a video with sound of the milltek at cold start? Thank you.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:41 PM
the head
Rennlist Member

Here you go.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:41 PM
NoEardGoat
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds good!
Old 01-08-2019, 12:20 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

Did u have to order the secondary cat delete in addition to the exhaust system?
Old 01-08-2019, 02:00 PM
sjt0017
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 8202632
Did u have to order the secondary cat delete in addition to the exhaust system?
I have the full Milltek setup which is everything behind the downpipes, and the answer is yes - you do need to order the secondary cat deletes separate. Every picture and explanation on any website that sells this exhaust are vague, to the point that it does seem like the secondary cat deletes are included ("front bypass assembly" is NOT the cat bypass, merely how Milltek differentiates between resonated and non resonated). I worked with Ahmed at Vivid Racing and together we did the research between Milltek's website & part numbers, and he squared me away with everything I wanted.

I upgraded to these because they're 2.76" and I wanted more power (Turbo E81 intake & throttle body, 2.5" fabspeed exhaust/HHR bypasses, and tune). SO, I have fabspeed exhaust and HHR pipes sitting in the garage if you or anyone else is interested!

Quick Reply: Milltek for 958