Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Winter tires for summer use?

Old 09-13-2018, 02:56 PM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Winter tires for summer use?

So I took my daughter's beater in for service and, as I'm picking it up, one of the service managers came up to me and asked if I had a minute.....

Long story short, they had two (2) Pirelli Scorpion tires that would fit my buggy (295/35/21) and offered them to me for free(!)

Turns out they ordered them for the only other customer they had with a Cayenne with 21" wheels and he's disappeared. The shop has been trying to sell them to me for a while cheap but I've not taken them because I run summer tires (21" Michelin Latitude 3's) and have a winter wheel/tire combo already (19" Blizzaks). Finally the shop got sick of having them around and offered them to me. They're brand new and never mounted.

So I took the Scorpions and am considering ordering another pair to put on my 21" rims when the Michelins wear out (which looks like it'll be in another 5K miles or so -- treadwear on them stinks).

Figure they'll wear pretty quickly if I run them in the summer, but doubt it'll be any quicker than the Michelins.

Wanted to throw out the idea to the Rennlist crowd and see if anyone's ever done winter tires over the summer and what the experience was like.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2018, 04:13 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Personally, a) I think the wear will be faster than the Michelins, b) that is a lousy compound for a summer tire and c) I am willing to bet that Pirelli would tell you not to do it. That is unless the only place you are driving is from home to the grocery store a few blocks away and only then if the route is in a 35 mph zone .......

Even if the garage gave me two more for free it would not be of interest to me unless they would throw in free mounting and balancing......
Old 09-13-2018, 05:03 PM
Matador1
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

DrBillyD- The compound is much softer than a summer tire and they have sipping most probably. If your not a spirited driver and you don't mind if they wear faster than your summer tires go for it. However, they aren't going to melt off the rims if you go over 35 mph and don't expect them to handle the same as your summer tires when it gets hot.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:30 PM
Hawkpilot6060
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I will definitely say no, they are meant for colder temps and could be dangerous in the summer. Actually they will be dangerous on a heavy vehicle in the summer. Not worth it, just my two cents. Rick.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:52 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Late last fall I drove from NJ to California and back at the end of January. It was starting to threaten snow in NJ - and we actually went on a southern route out to avoid snow in the midwest. I put on my Pirelli Scorpion Snow/Ice tires just in case we did run into any snow. We did see snow - for about 40 miles in West Virginia. Other than that - no snow. 6,500 miles later - there was no problem with the tires. They wore about what I'd expect for 6,500 miles, there was no chunking of rubber, nothing worrisome,.. we did cross the desert a few times and circled the Great Salton Sea just because I wanted to see it - which meant temps over 90F - some over 100F. They didn't handle as well as my summer tires, but that was expected and not a surprise, but I also never felt a need for "more" handling. Speeds were sometimes in excess of the 85MPH speeds that are legal in parts of Texas. Sometimes speeds needed 3 digits. They were driven on some sand and gravel roads. And all sorts of pavement.

That's my experience. YMMV of course. Just saying what I did and my experience doing it - not suggesting or recommending anyone do what I did.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:33 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

You are going to be fine. I have run my 997 on winter tires year round for several years (gasp). Yes, less ultimate traction than a good summer tire, so keep that in mind.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:31 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 125 Posts

They will be fine, but they will wear much faster. I ran my Scorpion Ice and Snow for a very short summer and like other have said, they are not the best summer tire, but perfectly acceptable.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 09-24-2018, 04:22 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I ran Blitzak snow tires on a trip to Colorado in Cayenne. I figured I'd keep driving on them when I got back to Houston so I could wear them out and get a set of snow tires that were properly sized for the Cayenne (mine are 255/55-20 off another vehicle). After about a month of running them in Houston, they showed no appreciable wear and I got tired of the squirmy snow tire feel so I took them off. Point is, they'll likely wear OK but feel squirmy.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:18 AM
TRM04
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my turbo from Chicago. I live in LA. It came with those same winter tires. I didn’t change them and drove all summer in constant 95-100 degree days. The tires had maybe 60% tread and in 6 months they were on the belt. The fender literally had shreds of rubber on it. Winter tires are super soft but made to only work below 40 degrees F. Anything above especially 40-50+ warmer and they will melt. Literally.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter tires for summer use?