Sponsored By:

Sport Plus option

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 02:10 AM
9114SCV
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sport Plus option

Has anyone installed the Sport Plus Mode for the Cayenne? Suncoast sells the following part: https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...SPORTMODE.html

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:40 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

From what I understand it replaces the whole button panel (the one just in front of the cupholders). Then it requires a trip to the dealer to have them use PIWIS to enter an activation code (that's tied to your VIN) to allow the vehicle to recognize the button panel and enable Sport+.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:33 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
From what I understand it replaces the whole button panel (the one just in front of the cupholders). Then it requires a trip to the dealer to have them use PIWIS to enter an activation code (that's tied to your VIN) to allow the vehicle to recognize the button panel and enable Sport+.

^^This^^

Cheers,
TomF
Old 09-18-2018, 08:13 PM
9114SCV
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Im really interested if anyone has experience in what the resulting changes are when activating this option. Any increase in performance, acceleration, throttle response, etc.?
Old 09-18-2018, 08:44 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 9114SCV
Im really interested if anyone has experience in what the resulting changes are when activating this option. Any increase in performance, acceleration, throttle response, etc.?
If at all possible, see if you can find your same year/model Cayenne on a dealer’s used lot with the Sport Chrono option, and take a test drive. The software installed with the OEM sport plus kit will provide the exact same engine/tranny/suspension performance enhancements to your vehicle.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:33 AM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

I have sport+ on my cayenne s with air/pasm. Have used it less than 5times in 20k miles. A novelty more than super useful imho. Cool that it lowers with air suspension. I don’t notice much difference in throttle response or tranny.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:24 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

I know it makes a big difference on my 2016 turbo. The throttle response and the gearing is night and day from the regular or sport mode. With PSE on and the Sport+ on, the car sounds and performs like a Porsche..
Old 09-20-2018, 08:50 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
I have sport+ on my cayenne s with air/pasm. Have used it less than 5times in 20k miles. A novelty more than super useful imho. Cool that it lowers with air suspension. I don’t notice much difference in throttle response or tranny.
There's Sport+ for the suspension and then there's Sport+ for the engine/trans. They're separate. Tap the Sport+ for engine/trans and it will also switch the suspension into Sport+ mode (and change ride height). But changing the suspension alone will not change the throttle/shifting.

Yeah, clear as mud, kinda.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:09 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Really? Based on my experience in various Porsches I’ve had using both Sport and Sport Plus modes, I’m surprised by your lukewarm assessment.

Sport mode made a significant difference on my previous CTTs and now on my Macan GTS, and Sport Plus mode which my Macan GTS also has is significantly different in terms of throttle response and transmission behavior versus even Sport mode (not to mention ‘Normal’ mode). Then there’s also the changes to the suspension and steering setup in Sport Plus (my vehicle has Power Steering Plus). In fact the Sport Plus mode is significantly different enough that it’s really not suited to street driving in my experience, definitely more of a track mode. Plus it gives you a legitimate launch control feature.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:17 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA

Really? Based on my experience in various Porsches I’ve had using both Sport and Sport Plus modes, I’m surprised by your lukewarm assessment.

Sport mode made a significant difference on my previous CTTs and now on my Macan GTS, and Sport Plus mode which my Macan GTS also has is significantly different in terms of throttle response and transmission behavior versus even Sport mode (not to mention ‘Normal’ mode). Then there’s also the changes to the suspension and steering setup in Sport Plus (my vehicle has Power Steering Plus). In fact the Sport Plus mode is significantly different enough that it’s really not suited to street driving in my experience, definitely more of a track mode. Plus it gives you a legitimate launch control feature.
I think that has more to do with you having PDK than someone having Sport + on an 8 speed ZF box. I would still assume that it could at least tighten up the shift points a little on the ZF.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:02 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
I think that has more to do with you having PDK than someone having Sport + on an 8 speed ZF box. I would still assume that it could at least tighten up the shift points a little on the ZF.
I think you missed:
my previous CTTs
CTT = Cayenne Twin Turbo.. his previous car was a Cayenne turbo - which undoubtedly came with the 8-speed Asian box like they all do (ain't no ZF's in Cayennes..)

BTW - sport mode on my CTT is noticeable. The shift points move up in RPMs and the throttle response changes to be sharper. More rev's in general. On the Macan/S that I had for a loaner it was even more noticeable. The Macan felt slightly crazy (in a nice way) in Sport mode.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:46 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

At least in my S, I find Sport to be good for daily driving. Adjusts the shift points, suspension stiffness, throttle response, and opens the sport exhaust. My only beefs are: 1) it's a little abrupt for smooth takeoff from start, and 2) it holds onto revs a little longer than I'd like when I've done a fast merge, pass, etc. But, I can compensate with a quick flip of the upshift paddle.

Sport+ just feels like a novelty to me (personally). It lowers my air suspension and puts PASM in Sport+, opens the exhausts, etc. I think it reduces the fake fart on upshift (which is nice), and massages shift and throttle points as well. But, IMHO it's a bit too aggressive for street/daily and I rarely canyon carve in the Cayenne. I think there's a much larger delta from base->sport than sport->sport+. I'd be perfectly happy without it, but do occasionally trigger it just to play.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:53 AM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I think you missed:
CTT = Cayenne Twin Turbo.. his previous car was a Cayenne turbo - which undoubtedly came with the 8-speed Asian box like they all do (ain't no ZF's in Cayennes..)

BTW - sport mode on my CTT is noticeable. The shift points move up in RPMs and the throttle response changes to be sharper. More rev's in general. On the Macan/S that I had for a loaner it was even more noticeable. The Macan felt slightly crazy (in a nice way) in Sport mode.
Yea I saw that. I meant to say Sport Plus as that is what he was mentioning regarding his Macan GTS and not just Sport mode like on his CTT. The other guy was talking about not using Sport Plus much in his Cayenne maybe because it doesn't make much difference vs just sport? I don't know, just made the comment as I have test driven both a CTTS with Sport/Sport + and a Macan Turbo with Sport/Sport + and the PDK is noticeably different when switching between the two vs the CTTS.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:31 PM
aof
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just completed a 3000 mile trek after retro-fitting sports exhaust and sports plus. The exhausts are nothing without the sports plus function. Overruns with the latter are intoxicating. CTT should not be be badged without both accessories as standard. Really that good.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:10 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by aof
Just completed a 3000 mile trek after retro-fitting sports exhaust and sports plus. The exhausts are nothing without the sports plus function. Overruns with the latter are intoxicating. CTT should not be be badged without both accessories as standard. Really that good.
Exellent, glad you’re enjoying it. I love PSE as well (Macan GTS in my case). I wish my CTT would have had it, but it’s not available for the 958.1 gen CTTs (2011-2014).

I like the Sport+ (Sport Chrono option) as well, but I still get a lot out of the PSE regardless of using Sport+, Sport, or just activating the PSE button on the console in standard mode. At least that’s the case on the Macan GTS. I do notice however that the tone of the PSE does change a bit between the modes, getting progressively deeper and more volume as you move up through Sport and then Sport+. You can hear the difference even idling as you cycle through the modes. I’m not certain if it’s the same with the Cayenne system?

Quick Reply: Sport Plus option