Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How Should TPMS Work?

Old 09-05-2018, 05:04 PM
rbaron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How Should TPMS Work?

2016 base Cayenne owner (well, actually lessee) here. I've driven lots of Porsches over the past 51 years but this is my first one with TPMS. It is the stock version and came on the car when new.

As I understand it the device is programmed to display an alert when the pressure drops 4 pounds or more below the suggested (on the sticker on the driver's door) pressure for a specific tire. Which it does.

But lately it's been displaying the alert and when I check the pressure on that specific wheel while driving the pressure is not displayed as low. I assume the pressure rises as the car is driven. But when I stop and restart the car the alert is back, even when I am driving and the display indicates the pressure is above the 4 pound threshold.

Is this normal behavior?

Old 09-05-2018, 05:28 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

TPMS alert does not go by the suggested pressure on the placard. It goes by the pressure you set and program it to that pressure. It will alert you from the deviation you set whatever the pressure it. That's my understand, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:31 PM
9000RPM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

You need to set it at the spec when the tires are cold. Then select the adjust option. Drive for a bit and everything should be cleared.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:09 PM
rbaron
Racer

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
TPMS alert does not go by the suggested pressure on the placard. It goes by the pressure you set and program it to that pressure. It will alert you from the deviation you set whatever the pressure it. That's my understand, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
As I understand it the alert comes already set based on the pressures on the placard.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:47 PM
whitecayenneS
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On my 2017S you select the Tire Size, and the Load. The Alert Pressure values are not alterable. If for some reason the pressure gets low and it Alerts, you'll add more air to that tire and it'll take a while for the TPMS to read that pressure and stop alerting you.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:25 PM
rbaron
Racer

Originally Posted by whitecayenneS
On my 2017S you select the Tire Size, and the Load. The Alert Pressure values are not alterable. If for some reason the pressure gets low and it Alerts, you'll add more air to that tire and it'll take a while for the TPMS to read that pressure and stop alerting you.
Thanks. That also seems to be the case with my 2016 base. I have gone into the various menus and submenus and found no way to change the Alert Pressure values.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:08 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by whitecayenneS
This is correct. However it gets tricky if you’re trying to adjust pressures correctly after the tires are already heated to some degree from driving. Best to check/set them cold as Porsche recommends (Porsche in fact specifies 68 degrees F as the ‘correct’ temp to set them, but yeah, just cold in the morning works fine).

If you do have to check them hot however, compare the tire with the warning to the temp of the tire opposite it, they should be very close in most instances (assuming they were set to the same pressure when cold, which they should have been).

Old 09-06-2018, 10:57 AM
rbaron
Racer

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA

If you do have to check them hot however, compare the tire with the warning to the temp of the tire opposite it, they should be very close in most instances (assuming they were set to the same pressure when cold, which they should have been).

Yes, and this is what makes me grind my teeth. I will get a warning on say the front right, however, once I have driven on the expressway for a few miles the system shows both front tires at the same psi. Oh well, maybe this will be fixed in the next firmware update.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:17 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by rbaron
Yes, and this is what makes me grind my teeth. I will get a warning on say the front right, however, once I have driven on the expressway for a few miles the system shows both front tires at the same psi. Oh well, maybe this will be fixed in the next firmware update.

Thanks for the replies.
Yeah, that just doesn’t sound right. I think you might have a ‘dinged’ sensor.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:13 PM
TRM04
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you know if the battery is low in the sensor?
Old 09-07-2018, 09:24 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRM04
P dealers and independent tire places can test them easily.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:57 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by TRM04
iCarScan can read the battery condition.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:50 AM
rbaron
Racer

OP here, Updating: I took my Cayenne in to the dealer this morning because the TPMS was showing an 'underinflation' warning when the car had been running on the expressway and the tires all looked to be within normal limits when viewing the tire pressure screen on the dash display. They had re-inflated the tires a couple of weeks ago and I thought maybe they had done it while the tires were warm and once they cooled down I was getting the warning, or maybe their tire pressure gauge didn't agree with the car's measuring system.

I was told there is a recent TSB on this subject. I wasn't told exactly what it said but apparently there is some recognition that the TPMS can be a bit, errr, squirrelly. I learned that if the car is stationary you can go through the screens on the tire pressure display and get to a screen that shows you a more detailed picture of which tire(s) the system thinks is/are underinflated at that particular point in time and by how much. I'm still thinking about how this information might be helpful but there you have it.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:13 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

It’s interesting, on my previous 958 CTT I could go out to the garage, turn on the ignition, and read the tire pressures any time via TPMS. With my new 95B GTS, I have to actually drive it to 15mph minimum before the TPMS system will provide a readout. Seems the system has changed slightly in the newer vehicles for whatever reason.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:41 PM
Rupert16
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Can any one help?

I'm about to fit a set of Winter rims on my '14 Cayenne Diesel.
I don't want to bother with TMPS Sensors, will this set off a check light or can it be by passed?

Thx.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How Should TPMS Work?