Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Bose in the CD vs Bose in the rented Altima

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 09:55 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I think that the Bose (Box Only Sound Extra), in the Cayenne sounds great. MP3's on a flash drive stuck into the USB and even FM, all sound good enough for me as I have the Bass and Treble set to +6 on both and have now turned off the Surround for everything as it was a bit too bright with it on.

I had the Bose system in a Corvette and it was just ok and nowhere near as nice as the system in the Cayenne.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:45 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

only had the base system in the cayennes, but I've had a 991 with bose and one without and there really wasn't any noticeable difference to me. Spec'd my new GT3 without.

Now, my Bose A-20s at work, couldn't live without them!!!!
Old 08-17-2018, 11:54 AM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

You a pilot? I haven’t flown with the A20s. Just have an old set of DCs. But never completed my hours...
Old 08-17-2018, 11:59 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
You a pilot? I haven’t flown with the A20s. Just have an old set of DCs. But never completed my hours...
yes, 737 Captain at Delta.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:06 PM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

😁 you would know best! Bose technology in noise cancelling is the best, sound reproduction,.... not so much. Kinda like Monster cables.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:06 PM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I’d play with the specs of the bose system(treble, balance etc). Our cayenne sounds great with the bose!
We had a loaner Macan with bose and it didn’t sound near as good, my wife sets the specs and in the Macan it was unbalanced. The speaker placement just didn’t work well. She’s got our cayenne sounding great. Better then any other stock sound system we’ve heard.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:51 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
I had the Bose system in a Corvette and it was just ok and nowhere near as nice as the system in the Cayenne.
Agree with that, although I’m not sure I’d call the Boses in my Z06s even “just ok’. They were pretty underwhelming.

I’m satisfied enough with the Cayenne and Macan Bose systems though. Much better than the Vette’s.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:16 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 158 Posts

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I made sure to isolate left and right.....speakers all work. Moving the fader two stops forward made a big difference. Sounds good with +2 treble and +2 or +3 bass. Still Bose, but much better than before. Still going to investigate some improvements in speakers or amp...or improvements that won't provide diminihsing return based upon head unit nor violating warranty.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:41 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I consider myself lucky in that in my last three vehicles, they all had great factory sound and this is compared to the real 70's and even 80's Shyt-boxes that I had driven way back in the day where even all manner of amplifiers and speakers and bass-boxes and whatnot can even come close to how good the factory systems I have had in my last three vehicles.

I also got the chance, in the past few years, to try out every sound sytem in every vehicle when I was moonlighting at a friends auto dealership where I got to sit and drive every single vehicle out there and listen to how truly terrible many factory systems, that are in GOOD vehicles, sound.

Anyway, I had a 2009 G8 GT that had a Blaupunkt system in it, some 500-600 total watts, lots of speakers, it rocked, sounded great.

2012 Touareg with Dynaudio-every bit as good as the Blaupunkt in the G8 GT and every bit as good as the Bose system in the Cayenne.

The Bose system in this Cayenne, from the Def Leppard to the Taylor Swift, to the Led Zeppelin and Pearl Jam and Madonna-whatever, it sounds awesome. Burmester may be good and it may be $4,000 better sounding-good, but I'm 100% happy with the Bose. Box Only Sound Extra.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:44 PM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

And this is why we have a free market 😂😂😂

Old 08-23-2018, 08:59 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Made anther improvement to the sound. Sounds crazy, but it worked. Since the center channel was so dominant, I moved the balance a couple of stops to the left, and now it actually has some decent sound stage.....music comes out of the side speakers....left and right. The suggestion to move the fader two stops forward gave me the idea. System sounds better.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:06 AM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mafpolo
Made anther improvement to the sound. Sounds crazy, but it worked. Since the center channel was so dominant, I moved the balance a couple of stops to the left, and now it actually has some decent sound stage.....music comes out of the side speakers....left and right. The suggestion to move the fader two stops forward gave me the idea. System sounds better.

good suggestion, Ill give that a shot.

on another note, do we know if the mid and bass units are a proprietary housing like the tweeter?
Old 08-24-2018, 04:25 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
I'm out of town on business, and I am in a Nissan Altima. The Altima has a Bose system in it, and it sounds far better than the Bose system in my Cayenne. Bose in the Altima has a much wider sound stage, more midrange, ceaner bass, and is noticeably better. This does not make sense. The Bose in my CD (unless I choose the Surround Sound option, which is really lousy) has a narrow sound stage, where there is far too much of the sound coming from the center speakers and far too little from the door speakers. In addition, the bass is a little muddy and midrange is lacking.
I wonder if all Bose Cayenne's are like this, or could mine have a problem/issue? I don't know whether a Bose sound system could have an issue or not that could cause it to play improperly. It makes no sense that the Altima should sound so much better than my Cayenne. A little better I would understand, but not this much.
I agree. We have a toyota highlander with JBL that sounds far better. Even my iPad Pro sounds better.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:55 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

My daughter has a VW Alltrack with a Fender sound system. The sound is better than Bose. A friend of mine bought a new Volvo XC90 with the Bowers & Wilkens (never hear of it before), and it is really good. Another friend just bought a Lexus LCh with Mark Levinson (made by HK and no input by Levinson himself), and it sounds amazing. Given all of that, as great as the sound is in those vehicles, I wouldn't trade my CD for the better sound. I would like for Porsche to ask for feedback from consumers in this market. Mine would be simple.....improve the audio system, the leather, and the vinyl. The rest of the car is great.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:35 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

I put music on a thumb drive this weekend and plugged it in. I have no idea why, but it sounds way better than my iPod. With the changes in sound settings and the thumb drive, the Bose sounds pretty good. The biggest change was moving the balance two stops . I moved it from two stops left to teo stops right, and that sounds better.

Quick Reply: Bose in the CD vs Bose in the rented Altima