Cayenne broken into....

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 04:55 PM
J4g3d
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Cayenne broken into....

Hi guys,

Last week in the early hours of Thursday (somewhere between 1am and 8am) someone decided to get into my car and steal everything inside it that was laying around. They opened every single compartment, even the ones under the seats and even stole my dashcam that I just bought with a large SD in which I just bought.

Anyway, there was no forced entry. How on earth did they get in????

Before anyone asks... 10000000% It was locked and 1000000% I held the lock button down to close the wing mirrors too!. I know this because its a new car and so i've been overly cautious with closing it properly including the mirrors.

A neighbour Thursday morning knocked to say the door was open, on inspection, the mirrors were extended as well.

Now, i've tried, tried and tried again to extend these mirrors WITHOUT inserting the key, it seems its virtually impossible? which is making me wonder whether someone has access to the car electronically. The wing mirrors only fold out once you insert the key in the ignition. Furthermore, when i first inserted the key after noticing i'd been robbed, my electric memory seat and steering wheel, for the first time didn't adjust to my saved seating position. WTF guys??? I had to, for the first time, press NO1 on the door to get it to adjust to my seating position. I've never had to do that before.

I've been away since thursday, stayed away in the middle of nowhere with the family, no signal...etc.. So i haven't called the Police yet, debating whether I should or shouldn't anyway as I've called them 4 or 5 times before when things have been stolen from me and they've done nothing at all about it.

Upon arrival back home today, we all got out the car, locked it as normal.... was about to close the front door and the alarm went off. Which its never done before. Went up to the car to check its locked, and yep.. its all locked. But the alarm is going off?

Im not sure whats going on here, but something doesn't seem right. Sometimes the key fob can take 3 or 4 attempts to lock the car (hence why i've been overly cautious locking it) so i do need to change the fob battery, but could that cause the alarm to randomly go off? could the low battery in the fob cause it to unlock and extend the mirrors out? anyone experienced that? any other stories of cayennes being broken into without any forced entry?

Thanks
Old 08-11-2018, 05:12 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

does your car have entry & drive?
Old 08-11-2018, 05:49 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

You need to have a dealer or someone with a PIWIS figure out what's wrong with your alarm system. Each door has a control module that the alarm system talks to and errors will be likely be present, or at a minimum you will determine what's triggering the alarm. Whatever is triggering it may be related to how it unlocked on its own, if it truly did that.

On a side not, and possibly related, it's not uncommon especially as these cars age for door latch mechanisms stop working or be intermittent which lets you lock the car, but pull open the door. But that failure also stores an error with the door control module, and should set off the alarm via the door opening and the interior motion sensor.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:54 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Another thought: if someone was advanced enough to be able to break the encryption and open your vehicle through an electronic key copying method, they'd likely have just stolen your whole car versus collect used stuff. Something is amiss with your locking/alarm, and maybe even the interior lights were on to make someone look further and find your car was unlocked.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:55 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,636 Posts

Well, they say to wrap your key in aluminum foil to prevent this type of thing. Maybe someone just figured out how this technology works, young kid, and really has no place to take a stolen car, so he opts for just taking the stuff inside.

On another note:

Entering an unlocked car - misdemeanor
Entering a locked car - Felony

I'd call the once and file a report.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:49 AM
J4g3d
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Spyerx
does your car have entry & drive?
No, it doesn't.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:01 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Well, they say to wrap your key in aluminum foil to prevent this type of thing. Maybe someone just figured out how this technology works, young kid, and really has no place to take a stolen car, so he opts for just taking the stuff inside.

On another note:

It might be a tad different in the UK (which isn't in the USA, nor California actually..)

BTW - who are "they"? And what's the purpose of the aluminum foil? And can I take it from the aluminum foil cap I wear?
Old 08-13-2018, 01:01 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,636 Posts

^Lol, I wouldn't remove any of the foil off your cap.

also, I may need one of those caps as I'm beginning to miss more and more lately. Didn't take notice that the member was across the pond.

Just one of the articles about the foil:

http://www.iflscience.com/technology...s-in-tin-foil/

Funny thing when I was looking I noticed many of the foil articles are from the UK.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:35 AM
J4g3d
Intermediate

Originally Posted by garrett376
You need to have a dealer or someone with a PIWIS figure out what's wrong with your alarm system. Each door has a control module that the alarm system talks to and errors will be likely be present, or at a minimum you will determine what's triggering the alarm. Whatever is triggering it may be related to how it unlocked on its own, if it truly did that.

On a side not, and possibly related, it's not uncommon especially as these cars age for door latch mechanisms stop working or be intermittent which lets you lock the car, but pull open the door. But that failure also stores an error with the door control module, and should set off the alarm via the door opening and the interior motion sensor.
I have PIWIS and other diag tools (thats my trade). No codes thrown up with regards to the door latches or alarm system.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:36 AM
whitecayenneS
Rennlist Member

I just drop my key fob into a faraday bag before I go to bed. Shop around, they're available everywhere.

http://faradaybag.com/

https://www.fobguard.com/
Old 08-13-2018, 11:37 AM
J4g3d
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver

On another note:

Its happening a lot here in the UK... Example...

Takes just 5 seconds, if that. Although that one probably had keyless go, hence how they managed to start it.

Perhaps a little box wrapped in tin foil may just do the trick.

Last edited by J4g3d; 08-13-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:58 PM
J4g3d
Intermediate

Finally called the police to report it, they told me on the phone that nothing can be done. But they have noted me down on their system as being a victim to theft on multiple occasions now.

They also told me cars in the local area are being targeted with devices that open the vehicle and bypass the alarm electronically.

Key wrapped in tin foil does block the signal, will keep it in that till my cheap faraday pouches arrive, which when they do arrive I will test the fob with it inside the pouch to see if it actually works.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:35 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Why does the news of this kind of crime only exist in Britain?
...and so does the manufacturer of the Faraday bag?
Old 08-16-2018, 08:34 AM
J4g3d
Intermediate

What do you suggest?
Old 08-16-2018, 03:01 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

In the US - Porsche Cayenne hijacking generally involves some sort of weapon. Perhaps the Brits are more civilized and hence use brains instead of brawn when stealing things. (There have been several Cayennes driven away from airport dropoff points when the driver got out, leaving the engine running, to help the departing/arriving airport customer with their bags. Amazing considering there are armed cops standing right there to keep people from blowing up the place..)

Quick Reply: Cayenne broken into....