Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2016 Cayenne GTS Pre-Purchase Inpsection ALMOST Perfect...ALMOST (video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 10:02 AM
Philly_Lights
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2016 Cayenne GTS Pre-Purchase Inpsection ALMOST Perfect...ALMOST (video inside)

This is my first post, and I'm hoping to become a long-term member here. I'm finally pulling the trigger on a 2016+ Cayenne GTS, and I find a beautiful one with low miles. I paid $175 for a guy to do a pre-purchase inspection, and the only really negative things he noticed were as follows:

1) The car pulls to the right when braking.

2) A weird clicking noise coming from the engine.

As the pulling could just be the brakes or alignment, I'm much more concerned about the engine noise. I've uploaded the video of the noise to youtube.

Can anyone offer any advice/suggestions on what this could be, and if I should move on from this vehicle because of it. I appreciate all of your advice. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:09 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Is this car at a Porsche dealer? If not walk away and buy from Porsche.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:13 PM
Philly_Lights
Track Day

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Is this car at a Porsche dealer? If not walk away and buy from Porsche.
It's privately owned. It's a one owner (doctor) owned, purchased 2 years ago for $107k cash. He had all maintenance records. All in all, it seemed like a fairly perfect situation. Any thoughts on what the engine noise could be?

I was going to contact the seller and tell him that I'm concerned about the noise and request that he take it to Porsche for a warranty service, and see if he is willing to do that.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:30 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

What engine noise? I hear injectors. I didn't hear anything else odd. There is one vacuum valve many German manufacturers use for the tank venting system that can make a sort of "klack" noise under some conditions. The V8 Cayenne's use it - not sure on the V6. Mercedes uses it and embeds it in a foam pillow to quiet it down. On the V8 Porsche Cayenne engine it hangs out in the open where it is quite loud. Clue that this is what's making the noise is - the noise isn't directly related to engine speed.

Just took a listen again - and noticed the valve is clearly showing in your video:

If one had a mechanics stethoscope - ($3.99 at Harbor Freight - often on sale for less) - and one poked the tip of the scope to that valve I suspect you'd find the source of the noise you're concerned with.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:30 PM
nsully
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You might consider having a 2nd PPI at a Porsche dealer. You would benefit from the model specific diagnostics and possibly begin a relationship with the Service Dept. The GTS is in the warranty period so it makes sense to stay under the Porsche umbrella for repairs. My .02. Good Luck
Old 08-08-2018, 01:15 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

I hate that valve. Mine is loud like Dean Martin and a dice cup.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:36 PM
Philly_Lights
Track Day

Could anyone with a v6 GTS pop the hood on their car and listen to see if their engine makes the same sound. If it is normal, and is just a regularly functioning valve, it would put my mind at ease to hear from someone who is currently hearing the same sounds.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:24 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

If the car is still under warranty, I wouldn't be bothered with the noise as the CPO can take care of that. I'd be more worried about the brakes pulling the car right. Are you sure it's never been in an accident. Have you put eyes on it yet. Maybe that's the first thing to do.

GLWP
Old 08-09-2018, 02:52 AM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I am no expert, but my 2011 S sounds like a sewing machine! Combination of direct injection and valves sounds like crap. A couple of times I forget when the window is down and wonder what that rattling car is next to me - but then I remember.... ;-)
Old 08-09-2018, 10:16 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

The pulling could've been from uneven road surface.

If it's under warranty I wouldn't worry about either problem so long as there is ample warranty time left to address any issues.

Quick Reply: 2016 Cayenne GTS Pre-Purchase Inpsection ALMOST Perfect...ALMOST (video inside)