Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cost of Diesel Oil Change at Dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 08:40 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by vanwinkl
Seeing some of the responses to my mechanic quote for $15 for an oil change - I'll give the full story (and hopefully not bring on the wrath of Porsche owners for not being fanatical about where I get my car serviced!).

I use my local Firestone for regular service on my wife's Cayenne. I figure the thing is basically a VW under the hood. I buy a lot of tires from them (5 cars in the family) so they are pretty flexible with me bringing in my own parts and don't mind doing cheap and quick oil changes. When our first Cayenne Diesel needed brakes, I bought pads, discs and Porsche brake fluid from Suncoast and then had Firestone put it all in - I don't remember the exact number but am thinking all in it was $400 less than the dealer quoted.

For something specialized, I would go to the Porsche dealer (I do take my 911 to the dealer).

Anyway, now my secret is out. Wondering what responses I'll get...

Seth
'16 Cayenne Diesel
'09 911 C2S
Funny, but under the hood is just a drain plug and an oil filter up top. It is NO different than any other engine out there.

Just because it is a "Porsche"-it might be a big deal to some but otherwise,it is absolutely no big deal.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:23 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

As simple as an oil change is I'm always shocked that there are so many stories of poor workmanship.

I've always done my own work, but when I help friends out, simple things are amiss nearly 100% of the time. The drain plug is mangled. The crush washer has been refused resulting in a small leak. The filter is the wrong type. Or not changed at all. I think the filter issue is common for less mainstream cars. If the fast lube place doesn't have the correct filter then they don't replace the old one. Lastly the oil type is probably wrong. For Porsche gas engines the A40 spec is a little tough to find. As is the ESP oil for diesels.

All that said, I think bringing your parts to a place like firestone should mitigate many of these issues. Beyond that a good independent mechanic should be trustworthy without having to supply the parts.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:30 PM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 29 Posts

Seeing some of the responses to my mechanic quote for $15 for an oil change - I'll give the full story (and hopefully not bring on the wrath of Porsche owners for not being fanatical about where I get my car serviced!).

I use my local Firestone for regular service on my wife's Cayenne. I figure the thing is basically a VW under the hood. I buy a lot of tires from them (5 cars in the family) so they are pretty flexible with me bringing in my own parts and don't mind doing cheap and quick oil changes. When our first Cayenne Diesel needed brakes, I bought pads, discs and Porsche brake fluid from Suncoast and then had Firestone put it all in - I don't remember the exact number but am thinking all in it was $400 less than the dealer quoted.

For something specialized, I would go to the Porsche dealer (I do take my 911 to the dealer).

Seth
'16 Cayenne Diesel
'09 911 C2S
That makes more sense. You basically have a high schooler do it or a guy who can’t make a living at a dealership. Wow.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:38 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Porsche dealer is no better than a jiffy lube. When i picked up my new 2016 CD, I was told that PCNA had them change all the fluids because the car sat for 2 years. Well 50 miles into my 200 mile trip home from picking it up the low oil level light came on. Apparently whoever did the change only put in like 6 qts. Can only hope he put in the correct oil. I do it myself now.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:00 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

nothing wrong with using a firestone, etc. Its not rocket science. I do it myself, but when it was due 2 times ago and we were getting new tires, I let the tire shop do it for $20 plus me supplying everything
Old 08-08-2018, 10:11 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointbye
That makes more sense. You basically have a high schooler do it or a guy who can’t make a living at a dealership. Wow.
LOL. Obviously you have never step foot in the back of dealership service bays. Dealerships dresses up the waiting area and charge you a premium so your wife will not mind dropping a car off for service. They will have one or two master mechanics on their payroll but definitely not flushing fluids or replacing brakes.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:35 PM
Pointbye
Instructor

Originally Posted by chsu74
LOL. Obviously you have never step foot in the back of dealership service bays. Dealerships dresses up the waiting area and charge you a premium so your wife will not mind dropping a car off for service. They will have one or two master mechanics on their payroll but definitely not flushing fluids or replacing brakes.
Haha. That’s funny. If you only knew...
Old 08-08-2018, 02:56 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointbye
Haha. That’s funny. If you only knew...
Two of my rental tenants work at Audi/VW/Porsche. Another is a master mechanic at Toyota. I walked through the local Pcar dealership service garage entrance to get to the service desk and showroom for months when it was under renovation. I wish I did not know this much.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:43 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

all the new apprentice techs get stuck doing oil changes
Old 08-09-2018, 10:02 AM
Pointbye
Instructor

Originally Posted by chsu74
Two of my rental tenants work at Audi/VW/Porsche. Another is a master mechanic at Toyota. I walked through the local Pcar dealership service garage entrance to get to the service desk and showroom for months when it was under renovation. I wish I did not know this much.
Says more about their Service Manager than their techs. IMO.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:28 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

$450 sounds high to me. Two local dealers here in Chicago are around 300-350. My local dealer gives 15% discount to PCA members - my last oil change was a week ago and it was just under $300 out the door.

Yes, I have the brains, tools, and ability to change it myself.

I also figure, it's cheap-ish insurance should I ever encounter a warranty claim where the dealer or PCNA is wavering. With friends and family who used to be part of dealer service departments (techs, writers, managers), it's not much of a secret that you have a much better chance at the dealer pushing something through for you if you've been good about service. If you're the guy that only shows up when there's a problem.... you may be out of luck. My CD being an $80k+ MSRP... I don't want to risk owning this thing out of warranty! And given I have an 8y, unlimited mile warranty, I don't want to risk losing it.

Plus... my service loaner this week was a new 2018 Cayman S. It's kind of a fun treat to get something new to cruise around in for the day.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:15 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Dealers are just crazy on service pricing for these. I mean, i actually don't really mind paying dealer price for my RS, but the cayenne...

So i buy the oil/filter: about $80, and have my indy do it.

Had this done last week, 60k service: oil/filter, fuel filter, new drive belt, rotate tires, brake bleed, new air filter, new cabin filter, new wipers front/rear, ad blue, inspection.

Cost? $250 for the parts and ~4 hours of shop labor at the indy... so about 1/3 price of dealer.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:43 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

I do the 5k oil changes myself, and every 20k at the dealer.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:04 PM
sayyonee19
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ vanwinkl - I sent you a PM. See if you can reply.

Thanks.

Seth
'16 Cayenne Diesel
'09 911 C2S
Old 01-27-2020, 06:56 PM
luxcar
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacked 987
$450 sounds high to me. Two local dealers here in Chicago are around 300-350. My local dealer gives 15% discount to PCA members - my last oil change was a week ago and it was just under $300 out the door.

Yes, I have the brains, tools, and ability to change it myself.

I also figure, it's cheap-ish insurance should I ever encounter a warranty claim where the dealer or PCNA is wavering. With friends and family who used to be part of dealer service departments (techs, writers, managers), it's not much of a secret that you have a much better chance at the dealer pushing something through for you if you've been good about service. If you're the guy that only shows up when there's a problem.... you may be out of luck. My CD being an $80k+ MSRP... I don't want to risk owning this thing out of warranty! And given I have an 8y, unlimited mile warranty, I don't want to risk losing it.

Plus... my service loaner this week was a new 2018 Cayman S. It's kind of a fun treat to get something new to cruise around in for the day.
Would you mind sharing which dealer you use. I called Porsche of Westmont and they want $700 for an oil change

Quick Reply: Cost of Diesel Oil Change at Dealership?