Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Can You Bring Your Own Parts to the Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 10:43 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Can You Bring Your Own Parts to the Dealer?

Can I bring my own parts to the dealer...like oil, filter, rotors and brake pads?
Old 07-14-2018, 12:42 PM
9000RPM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Maybe? Why don't you just call them and ask.

If you can, you will get no warranty from them on the rotors and pads
Old 07-14-2018, 01:40 PM
genebopp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am sure you can bring them to dealer and bring them back home with you too. I bet you get a "we cant do that do to liability." kind of answer when you ask.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:25 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

The dealer is obviously not going to be happy installing parts you brought. Two reasons I can think of: they make no profit off the parts, and I'm sure Porsche parts prices include a profit of at least 100% markup; warranty - when Porsche installs parts they provided both the part and the labor involved with installing them is covered for the 2 years parts warranty. You get no labor warranty on parts you provide - and people get unhappy if they have to pay the labor when one of those user-provided parts fails.

Think of it this way - do you know of any restaurant that cooks food you bring in?
Old 07-14-2018, 04:43 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends. It depends on your relationship with the dealer and it depends on what parts you're bringing in. If you have an established relationship and you bring in your own parts that are OEM from a place like Suncoast I wouldn't see why they wouldn't. Most service departments are separate entities from parts departments even under the same roof. Chances are the service adviser is getting a tiny slice of any parts he's selling but if you have done your research and brought in the correct, quality parts in they should still be willing to take your money and install them. Now if you walk into a dealer for the first time and ask them to install some low quality aftermarket brakes they're almost definitely going to say NO.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:21 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't if I were them, and I would use that liability excise. Parts are a profit center. Oil is so much less at other places, but then again, it's the price you pay to get maintenance at the dealership.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:46 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

I’m sure this is going to vary WILDLY from dealer to dealer. Best thing to do is just go talk to the dealership you have in mind. That’s the only way you’re really going to know.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:02 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Dealerships like it when you bring your own parts. They love it when you bring lunch too. Ask them if you can watch the master certified Porsche technician do your work, they really-really love that.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:57 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 107 Posts

Few places, dealer or independent, are going to allow you to bring your own parts. For lots of reasons, one being there's profit margin on parts. Second there's liability for the job. If the part you bring goes bad then who's to blame? Lastly, if the part you bring doesn't fit then who's going to eat the down time for the shop while the proper part is obtained?

Now, if it's shop you know and have a good relationship with, and you're talking about very specialized parts then.... maybe. But for things like oil and brakes if you know enough to choose something 'special' then you likely know how to do the job yourself. They're not difficult tasks and don't require specialized tools.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:33 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

I was mostly referring to oil and def.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:05 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

My independent has allowed me to bring my own parts - for the past 25 years or so that he's been servicing my cars. He actually expects it now - and I'll have parts direct shipped to him from vendors.. but he knows I don't buy crap parts, and usually go to the other extreme - ordering parts "just because we're there.." and of at least OE quality and better than OE if I can find them. It probably helps that we're good friends and have been for decades, and he really sort of specializes in exotic vehicles, a Cayenne is fairly pedestrian for him.

I wouldn't even think of asking my Porsche dealer to do this..

Quick Reply: Can You Bring Your Own Parts to the Dealer?