Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

958 GTS Transfer Case rebuild - wish me luck

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 06:00 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad someone else on here tackled this since my plans to do so where ceased by getting rid of mine, especially since I'm going to end up buying another 958.

As with others, interested in a write-up on the process.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:14 PM
Euro911SC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like I will be following you with my own 2013 GTS! Couple of questions:
  1. How hard was it to remove the case from the car? Anything funky other then removing a lot of bolts? Did you follow a manual for instructions or just have at it?
  2. What was your parts ordering process with the company from Europe?
  3. Did you reset any of the parameters in the control module or update the firmware as was commented on in the sticky thread on TC problems?
  4. Did you install the other parts that were listed on the worksheets from other members that had their TCs replaced on warranty by Porsche?
  5. You have a 1" chain. Did you consider changing to a model that had a 1.25" chain?
  6. What was the hardest part you encountered in your rebuild?
  7. Did you write up a DIY?
Thanks!!

-Michael
Old 09-20-2018, 12:58 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Great questions - am still hoping for a detailed writeup.. (hint!)
Old 09-21-2018, 10:26 PM
edde
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd be interested as well. I have my parts. Ordering from Andrew is pretty straight forward just make sure he has your case serial number or you could get the wrong chain. My # indicated a 1.25" chain. Fingers crossed.
Decide if you want a seal kit and expedited shipping. My answer to both is YES. You may not need the seals but if you tweak one you'll be glad you have it. The shipping by Fedex took TWO DAYS for 20 extra euros.

I'm looking it over right now. Aside from wiring connectors, shafts, and bolts there's not anything in the way - except the exhaust. It may have to come down, not sure but it's preventing me from seeing the shaft at the rear end real well. The rear shaft is long. I'm most interested in seeing how it is removed right now. I cannot see any normal coupler with bolts. Absent this I can only guess it has spring clips on one or both ends and has to be dropped from the center support? Would love to see clarification.

Really trying to determine if I am doing this or giving it to a tranny guy who's quoting me about a grand for R&R using my parts. I'm happy to do it myself but time is money and I don't have a lot of time for this to be down.

Last edited by edde; 09-22-2018 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:51 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Too bad the vent kit wasn't added to the rebuild process.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:01 PM
Euro911SC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

WHERE exactly is the case serial number? I was changing the fluid this weekend and had a good look around the case... obviously not good enough as I didn't see ANY #s at all. Pics or it didn't happen!
Old 09-25-2018, 02:25 PM
edde
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is actually pic from Andrew. I had to take my own pic just to read it while installed in the car.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:17 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

For people thinking about rebuilding - you might take a look at: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post15317086 - it would be interesting to hear what adding this to a few cases bad enough to need rebuilding does.

Amazon Amazon

It's available all over the interwebs, and probably your local Ford dealer's parts department or at least any NAPA store. And it stinks.. read the reviews.
Old 08-19-2022, 02:30 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 245 Posts

well, my rebuild lasted longer than the original transfer case!!! Started showing symptoms a few weeks back and now I can't get it out of my head. It does have almost 125K miles on it now though.

10 year warranty runs out in December so I stopped by the dealership this morning and set an appointment for next Friday. I'll let them take care of it this time

Has been a great car and I haven't done much to it other than brakes and fluid change. Still thoroughly enjoy driving it and would keep it over my 911.
The following 4 users liked this post by e30rapidic:
apenberrys (11-24-2022), cwc1jz (08-19-2022), jbl16 (08-20-2022), Rocknroad (08-19-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 01:48 PM
apenberrys
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild or Replace

I’m new to the 958 fraternity - just bought 1 owner, dealer maintained, 2012 CTT with 173K miles. Never had transfer case replaced.

Despite a PPI clean bill of heath by reputable local Porsche independent - I believe to now have beginnings of transfer case slippage - low rpm rumble when cold and pulling 1st and 2nd gear / no rumbling after warmup period and no signs in other gears.

TC and full transmission service was done 7,500 miles prior so I’m assuming a fluid change won’t delay the inevitable.

For peace of mind and since it’s my daily, Im considering buying replacement OE Transfer Case from FCP Euro with lifetime warranty and installing myself. I have access to a 2 post lift.

After installing FCP Euro unit. - rather than returning the original TC as core (loose FCP’s $300 core charge), simply rebuilding the original and selling on eBay/Rennlist to recoup some cost.

Any critique/thoughts of wisdom on this game plan?

Also, can anyone confirm - since my 958.1 is 2012 with 02/12 build date it’s no longer covered under Porsche 10 year extended TC warranty?

Thanks
Eric
Old 11-29-2022, 02:33 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by apenberrys
Also, can anyone confirm - since my 958.1 is 2012 with 02/12 build date it’s no longer covered under Porsche 10 year extended TC warranty?
The normal vehicle warranty starts when the vehicle is purchased new, not when it's produced. So theoretically it's possible it's still covered if it didn't sell new until late November/early December 2012. Check with your dealer.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:19 PM
AnAlbumCover
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 101 Posts

I’m new to the 958 fraternity - just bought 1 owner, dealer maintained, 2012 CTT with 173K miles. Never had transfer case replaced.

Despite a PPI clean bill of heath by reputable local Porsche independent - I believe to now have beginnings of transfer case slippage - low rpm rumble when cold and pulling 1st and 2nd gear / no rumbling after warmup period and no signs in other gears.

TC and full transmission service was done 7,500 miles prior so I’m assuming a fluid change won’t delay the inevitable.

For peace of mind and since it’s my daily, Im considering buying replacement OE Transfer Case from FCP Euro with lifetime warranty and installing myself. I have access to a 2 post lift.

After installing FCP Euro unit. - rather than returning the original TC as core (loose FCP’s $300 core charge), simply rebuilding the original and selling on eBay/Rennlist to recoup some cost.

Any critique/thoughts of wisdom on this game plan?

Thanks
Eric
I don't know how you'll convince anyone to buy your rebuilt TC over a factory or one rebuilt by a company with a warranty. The annoying thing is the labor. The part is the part..
Old 11-29-2022, 11:17 PM
apenberrys
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris M.
The normal vehicle warranty starts when the vehicle is purchased new, not when it's produced. So theoretically it's possible it's still covered if it didn't sell new until late November/early December 2012. Check with your dealer.
Thanks for the guidance - just checked original warranty book and in service date was 3/28/12 so looks like out of warranty / maybe take it by dealer to see if they would consider exception or if they just laugh me out the building
Old 11-29-2022, 11:53 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

I believe to now have beginnings of transfer case slippage - low rpm rumble when cold and pulling 1st and 2nd gear / no rumbling after warmup period and no signs in other gears.
Those aren't transfer case symptoms.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:35 AM
apenberrys
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garrett376
Those aren't transfer case symptoms.
Maybe I jumped the gun on diagnosis - the hesitation is alway at cold startup with car starting on slight incline but have noticed it during parking or low speed turns.

Any thoughts on what else to consider? Seems to be coming from driveline

Quick Reply: 958 GTS Transfer Case rebuild - wish me luck