Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Roadtrip! Would you do this to your Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 02:14 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandPaJohn
I find it interesting that in the Airstream performance test, the Cayenne was equipped with a weight distributing hitch. Did Porsche approve?
Huh?
Old 06-16-2018, 04:47 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Huh?
They say so at about 2:20 in the video. You can also see it in some of the shots.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:30 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let’s be honest here......

A semi truck isn’t actually designed to tow bumper pull campers or any other bumper pull trailer. In many ways it’s a far worse tow vehicle for these types or trailers.

.....what a silly comparison

Let's be honest here:

DESIGNED to tow:

Designed for passenger comfort, utility, sportiness, hauling kids to soccer games, showing off, having fun:

Porsche Cayenne. And pretty much anything else NOT an OTR tractor.

Again, design vs capable. The Cayenne is absolutely capable of towing, but was not DESIGNED as a tow vehicle. There would be many performance compromises if it were a purpose designed tow vehicle, but the capability to tow up to 7700# and do it was was certainly baked into the vehicle's overall design.

As for pulling the plane, I'm pretty sure I could hook up my diesel ram ('03) and pull it, too. It's a great marketing video, but shows capability... not design purpose.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:19 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

My suspicion is that the greatest limitation with towing an Airstream with a Cayenne is the driver. If you take someone who has been driving his grandmother's Buick and put him in a Cayenne ahead of an Airstream he is more likely to have a problem than someone who has a history of towing trailers, boats, etc.

Haven't yet towed with my Cayenne, but wouldn't have any hesitation about doing so. I am also used to, pulling goose neck horse trailers behind 3/4 diesel pu's and bumper pull flatbeds hauling farm tractors.

Were I younger and married to someone who I could convince to drive to Alaska pulling an Airstream I wouldn't hesitate.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:39 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

They say so at about 2:20 in the video. You can also see it in some of the shots.
Are you familiar with what, exactly, a weight distributing hitch is? It's not a mod to the tow vehicle, so I'm not sure what Porsche would have to say about it.

I do have to wonder, however, if they had one on the square camper. If not, not really a fair comparison.

Originally Posted by Cole
Let’s be honest here......

A semi truck isn’t actually designed to tow bumper pull campers or any other bumper pull trailer. In many ways it’s a far worse tow vehicle for these types or trailers.

.....what a silly comparison

It's called hyperbole. Look it up.

Once again, the point is that the Cayenne was not designed as a tow vehicle. It was designed as a utility vehicle. Part of that utility is the capability to tow. There is a difference between being designed for something and having the capability for something as part of a different design.

For example, if it were designed to tow, it would have a fully integrated tow harness, enabled. The electrical receptical for US towing. It would likely have an integrated electric trailer brake controller. Possibly extendable mirrors - a tow position. A Tow mode in addition to Sport mode. You know, things like that.

Last edited by skiahh; 06-16-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:46 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Are you familiar with what, exactly, a weight distributing hitch is? It's not a mod to the tow vehicle, so I'm not sure what Porsche would have to say about it.

I do have to wonder, however, if the square camper was using one.
Yes, but Porsche has always stated that WDH's are not recommended or whatever language they use. I have to think Porsche had some say in this test, but maybe not.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:26 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Yes, but Porsche has always stated that WDH's are not recommended or whatever language they use. I have to think Porsche had some say in this test, but maybe not.
Interesting. Where do they say that? I haven't seen it in the manual and, just to be sure, I just looked again. And then asked the all knowing Google.

I wonder why they'd say that?
Old 06-16-2018, 08:37 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 425 Posts

I wonder why they'd say that?
Because as part of the design process, they likely did some testing to arrive at their recommendations!

At the end of the day, the Cayenne tows whether you think it was designed your way (like a semi truck) to do it.

A Cayenne tows with a factory hitch, using a factory plug, using factory installed wiring, which interacts with the factory installed systems (no auto-start stop, Sport Mode deactivated, no ParkAssist, has trailer lamp monitoring, altered transmission shifting), with factory written information in its user manual which specifically mention using "additional door mirrors" as well as many other towing tips. You know, factory designed stuff like that.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:07 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garrett376
Because as part of the design process, they likely did some testing to arrive at their recommendations!

At the end of the day, the Cayenne tows whether you think it was designed your way (like a semi truck) to do it.

A Cayenne tows with a factory hitch, using a factory plug, using factory installed wiring, which interacts with the factory installed systems (no auto-start stop, Sport Mode deactivated, no ParkAssist, has trailer lamp monitoring, altered transmission shifting), with factory written information in its user manual which specifically mention using "additional door mirrors" as well as many other towing tips. You know, factory designed stuff like that.
You're right; you win. The Cayenne is the bestest, most magnificently designed tow vehicle - sorry, truck - to ever grace the roads of the world. There are none better.

(By the way, you have to purchase the electric plug in and get it activated, if the threads on here are right.)

Oh, but you didn't answer the question. Where does it say that Porsche says not to use a WDH? Wait... I suppose because it's the bestest tow vehicle it doesn't need one. My bad.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:34 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

You're right; you win. The Cayenne is the bestest, most magnificently designed tow vehicle - sorry, truck - to ever grace the roads of the world. There are none better.

(By the way, you have to purchase the electric plug in and get it activated, if the threads on here are right.)

Oh, but you didn't answer the question. Where does it say that Porsche says not to use a WDH? Wait... I suppose because it's the bestest tow vehicle it doesn't need one. My bad.
Skiah - It appears you are correct. I just checked my 2016 Cayenne manual and nowhere does it mention a WDH. I had a 2012 Toureg TDI previously and it specifically stated in the manual that WDH's were forbidden. Guess I just wrongly assumed that the 2016 Cayenne would be similar.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:34 PM
John212
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Quick update here, I went to the airstream dealership and the problem now is that I fell in love with the 27' trailer. The CTT can handle the weight, but not the tongue weight (which is 930 pounds). So now it's a matter of: do I get a smaller trailer, or buy a truck too. Unfortunately it seems like the trucks depreciate even faster than the trailers so.. it looks like this little trip could be a very expensive experience!
Old 06-24-2018, 11:51 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Smaller trailer better then larger, there will be steep grades, both up or down. Also think about stopping.

On the 958, one issue that can leave you stranded is the cooling hose attachment at the water pump housing. It’s glued so if you car have 50k more miles, maybe have it looked at, cost is 2500.

just returned from a road trip of 2600miles, here are my list.
Fresh battey and bring spare
bring tire repair kit,
bring air compressor
Bring spare tires for car and tire on rim for trailer. Can always find a place to swap tires, but not easy to find tires
bring windshield repair kit

good luck and have fun
Old 06-25-2018, 08:24 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
On the 958, one issue that can leave you stranded is the cooling hose attachment at the water pump housing. It’s glued so if you car have 50k more miles, maybe have it looked at, cost is 2500.
Actually - it's the thermostat housing, which lives behind the water pump. And it's only on the V8 engines. The water pump has to be removed to get to it. The pipes on the new ones are bolted in. One of mine has moved out a bit (I can tell by the glue line) but so far hasn't popped out, I suspect the hose connected to it is restraining it. I'm planning on spending the $$ that Porsche gave me back for the Variocam problem on this fix.
just returned from a road trip of 2600miles, here are my list.
Fresh battey and bring spare
bring tire repair kit,
bring air compressor
Bring spare tires for car and tire on rim for trailer. Can always find a place to swap tires, but not easy to find tires
bring windshield repair kit

good luck and have fun
That's an extensive list. A spare tire for the car will take up a considerable part of the carrying space available in the Cayenne.. are you putting this in the trailer? The air compressor is supplied by Porsche on cars with the collapsible spare tire, so that's always along, with sealant. I probably should add a string-thing plugging kit. I don't take a spare battery - I have roadside assistance from AAA, and from my auto insurance company, and from AARP and from the AMA (American Motorcycle Association - it covers the car too.).. so I think those sort of issues are going to be someone else's problem. Windshield repair kit? One of the epoxy fix a ding kits? Probably worthwhile - but they are available at any big-box auto parts store, and even in the middle of nowhere - those stores can be found nearby (or a NAPA..)

I've crossed the US 4 times so far in the Cayenne Turbo (and twice in my '06 CS) and have never experienced a problem. Round-trip those are typically about 8,000 mile trips (lots of side trips involved..) I guess pulling a trailer adds a new dimension to traveling - but actually one I really don't desire to experience. I'm happy enough with a motel each night and eating out.

To each his own..

Quick Reply: Roadtrip! Would you do this to your Cayenne?